Nice retirement for a sweet, humble, smart Wal Mart couple

Really? Nobody knows what a good mutual fund is?
obviously everyone wants to buy a good mutual fund as opposed to a bad one. That way they make money rather than lose money. Making money is better than losing money. But the fact is a monkey throwing darts will do better than the Harvard MBA types running mutual funds. So, you are better off in index funds than hiring a expensive Harvard MBA to guess incorrectgly which stocks to buy for you.

Do you understand??

Really? Nobody knows what a good mutual fund is?
obviously everyone wants to buy a good mutual fund as opposed to a bad one. That way they make money rather than lose money. Making money is better than losing money. But the fact is a monkey throwing darts will do better than the Harvard MBA types running mutual funds. So, you are better off in index funds than hiring a expensive Harvard MBA to guess incorrectgly which stocks to buy for you.

Do you understand??

why are you quoting me with words that were not mine...?

They both have full social security and we've set them up at a 5% annual withdrawal. Totals about $56,000 a year for the rest of their lives plus cost of living increases, with plenty of emergency funds.

That's more than they've been making.

Portfolio invested conservatively to replenish withdrawals.

Easy as pie.

Very nice. One question: How many years does this income plan last?
It's built to last forever, with the income increases I mentioned. The growth in the portfolio, over time, will replenish withdrawals.

When they're gone, it goes to the kids.

I have clients who have been taking 5%+ income for years and have more in their account than when they began.

That's wonderful. With interest rates at ZIRP, it's increasingly difficult to find 5% returns that aren't risky. Congrats to your clients.

You are never going to get good returns with investments that "aren't risky".

It's actually very easy to find good returns. You just have to accept some amount of risk.

IF my mutual fund has been doing 13% year over year, for 40 years.... is their risk? Sure. But is that risk acceptable given a 40 year track record? Sure. But you don't put all your eggs in one basket. So I have a second fund, that's gotten 11.8% over 30 years. Is there a risk? Sure. But is that risk acceptable given a 30 year track record? Yes.

Many people would be far more wealthy, if they spent less time trying to prevent all risk, and more time investment diversely.

All investments over time yield the same return. The high risk cancels out the high interest. The best professionals at hedge funds and mutual funds do no better than monkeys throwing darts.

You keep saying that, and yet my fund has gotten 13% year over year, for the past 30 years. And some of the other, safer, index funds have gotten 6%.

So clearly, over time, yields are not the same.

How much did you make off of them?
Exactly none of your business.

What a weird question.

By the way, are you happy for them, that they were able to put that much away working at Wal Mart?

What evah, Is it something of an oddity to have saved money whilst working for Wal Mart? They would have made more if Wal Mart had not killed profit sharing....
Why is it a weird question? Financial planners for the most part are bottom feeders. Thanks for posting that they'll get more from SS though.
My old Man was a stock broker and investment agent, they make around 7-10%

You keep saying that, and yet my fund

1) were were talking about all funds not you're fund.
2) 13% for 30 years would be 1 in a million so I'm sure you're mistaken.

if you tell me exactly what fund you are talking about it can easily be determined.

Vanguard's been really solid for a long time. Good funds, low cost.
Yup. Admiral level on some of their funds like total stock market index and S&P500 index can be had with expense ratio of 0.05%, that rivals institutional indexes and ETFs for cheapo factor.

if you tell me exactly what fund you are talking about it can easily be determined.

No sir. I am not mistaken.

EuroPacific Fund
Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 3.55.49 PM.png

Lifetime annual return, 11.46%.

Growth Fund of America
Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 3.57.00 PM.png

Lifetime Annual return, 13.67%.

That's just 2 of dozens. I'm not sure where you got your head all screwed up at, but someone has messed you over.

And we are talking about my funds. No one buys every fund on the market, and nor should they. You pick out 2 to 4 funds that have long track records, and good rates of return. Anyone can do this.

Vanguard's been really solid for a long time. Good funds, low cost.
Yup. Admiral level on some of their funds like total stock market index and S&P500 index can be had with expense ratio of 0.05%, that rivals institutional indexes and ETFs for cheapo factor.

But what is the rate of return? Getting something cheap, if it has a lousy ROI, is not a win.

EuroPacific Fund
View attachment 39492

Growth Fund of America
View attachment 39493

That's just 2 of dozens. I'm not sure where you got your head all screwed up at, but someone has messed you over.

And we are talking about my funds. No one buys every fund on the market, and nor should they. You pick out 2 to 4 funds that have long track records, and good rates of return. Anyone can do this.
I just finished Boogle's book. He is the guy who founded Vanguard
HE says its impossible to pick well.

well if people could safely earn 8% they would not invest trillions at one or two % and recently in Europe at negative interest.
People cannot safely earn 8%, and nobody in this thread has claimed that is possible.

Over the very long run (20 years) the stock market has had an inflation-adjusted annualized return rate of between six and seven percent.

Here is an excellent calculator that gives the CAGR of the SP500 for any time period.

Anyone can do this.
if true everyone would, especially life time professionals, but they can't.

If you buy best funds over last ten years you will probably lose money over next 10 years. Humans can t predict the future. This has been demonstrated over and over again.

EuroPacific Fund
View attachment 39492

Growth Fund of America
View attachment 39493

EuroPacific Fund
View attachment 39492

Growth Fund of America
View attachment 39493

AGTHX is a well managed fund, but it does have a sales load. The fund did not beat its benchmark (the russell 1000 index) over the same time period (since inception or the past 5, 10 or 15 year periods) It's still a solid fund choice. But it does lag the index.

AEPGX is also very well managed LOAD fund. It has beaten it's index ( MSCI All Country World ex-U.S. Index) 11 of the past 15 years. Not a bad choice at all. Will it continue to beat the index? Not sure. The fund manager of 20 years ( Robert Lovelace) retired in June of 2014 so only time will tell.....

Personally, I prefer passively managed index funds and ETF's. I don't need to beat the market, I'll just take what it gives me. Over the long haul that philosophy has been very rewarding for me.

:thup:

Just initiated a 401K rollover for a very sweet couple, both aged 63. They both spent the last 17 or so years working at Wal Mart. Not in corporate, but in regular ol' stores. Stocking shelves, receiving, some management, you name it.

They said "we were just careful with our money, we never had to buy the newest stuff, we lived within our means and stayed humble with our money". That's their big secret.

Totals of their 401K's:
Husband: $287,729.57
Wife: $211,898.10

Separate Roth IRA's at Edward Jones:
Husband: $42,114.52
Wife: $43,001.58

Total retirement portfolio: $584,743.77

After our meeting today, they left for a week-long camping and fishing trip with friends, celebrating the start of their comfy retirement. Just bought a cool new red Honda four-wheel-type thing for the trip. They like driving through streams.

So long Wal Mart, hello striped bass.

Where was this and what was their salary at Wal-Mart?

What a weird question.

By the way, are you happy for them, that they were able to put that much away working at Wal Mart?

What evah, Is it something of an oddity to have saved money whilst working for Wal Mart? They would have made more if Wal Mart had not killed profit sharing....
Why is it a weird question? Financial planners for the most part are bottom feeders. Thanks for posting that they'll get more from SS though.
My old Man was a stock broker and investment agent, they make around 7-10%
Right and you can pretty much keep that money with no load investments you pick yourself.

Just initiated a 401K rollover for a very sweet couple, both aged 63. They both spent the last 17 or so years working at Wal Mart. Not in corporate, but in regular ol' stores. Stocking shelves, receiving, some management, you name it.

They said "we were just careful with our money, we never had to buy the newest stuff, we lived within our means and stayed humble with our money". That's their big secret.

Totals of their 401K's:
Husband: $287,729.57
Wife: $211,898.10

Separate Roth IRA's at Edward Jones:
Husband: $42,114.52
Wife: $43,001.58

Total retirement portfolio: $584,743.77

After our meeting today, they left for a week-long camping and fishing trip with friends, celebrating the start of their comfy retirement. Just bought a cool new red Honda four-wheel-type thing for the trip. They like driving through streams.

So long Wal Mart, hello striped bass.

Where was this and what was their salary at Wal-Mart?
More importantly, where did they work previously and what did they invest then?

Anyone can do this.
if true everyone would, especially life time professionals, but they can't.

If you buy best funds over last ten years you will probably lose money over next 10 years. Humans can t predict the future. This has been demonstrated over and over again.

I just posted two funds which gained money over 30+ years. But they will lose money according to you.

You are just not making logical sense. You keep making claims, that I have already given hard concrete facts to disprove.

No, everyone would not. The problem, which has been mentioned several times on this thread, is that some people are only interested in Zero risk. So even though there are very good investments with long stable track records, people instead choose "safe" investments that pay nothing.

Last edited:

EuroPacific Fund
View attachment 39492

Growth Fund of America
View attachment 39493

EuroPacific Fund
View attachment 39492

Growth Fund of America
View attachment 39493

AGTHX is a well managed fund, but it does have a sales load. The fund did not beat its benchmark (the russell 1000 index) over the same time period (since inception or the past 5, 10 or 15 year periods) It's still a solid fund choice. But it does lag the index.

AEPGX is also very well managed LOAD fund. It has beaten it's index ( MSCI All Country World ex-U.S. Index) 11 of the past 15 years. Not a bad choice at all. Will it continue to beat the index? Not sure. The fund manager of 20 years ( Robert Lovelace) retired in June of 2014 so only time will tell.....

Personally, I prefer passively managed index funds and ETF's. I don't need to beat the market, I'll just take what it gives me. Over the long haul that philosophy has been very rewarding for me.

:thup:

I prefer to be diversified. So a little of this, and and a little of that. Right now, I don't have enough money invested to warrant more than two mutual funds. But when that time comes, I would likely get a few no-load index funds as well.

What a weird question.

What a nasty comment.

And they won't get more from SS. They aren't drawing down on principal.

Forum List

Back