Nice retirement for a sweet, humble, smart Wal Mart couple

:rolleyes:

My neighbor worked at Walmart for 15 years AFTER he had already made a enough money to pay off his mortgage (on a valuable piece of property). He just worked there for something to do and was able to put every penny earned into his savings.

Your average Walmart worker isn't going to have anything to look forward to aside from SS since they mostly live pay check to pay check.

Anericans have about 5 times the income of the Chinese yet the Chinese save a far higher % of their income than Americans. Pay check to paycheck living here is a cultural thing induced in America because everyone feels very secure with rich family and govt programs to back them up..

Where was this and what was their salary at Wal-Mart?
Colorado. I don't know what their salaries were. Since they're retired I didn't ask.

She came from a divorce and had nothing when they got married.

Ahhh....I see.

The money invested wasn't the money they earned at Wal-Mart.

figure it out yourself, an average American would retire with $1.4 million on 15% of his lifetime earnings. Capitalism makes most Americans rich but then liberals steal the money and give them back dog food money for which , as brain dead liberals , they are oddly grateful!!
Notice what they're doing.

This is just a nice couple who worked hard, stayed humble, put money away.

A couple of hardcore left wing partisan ideologues who don't want to believe that people can do this kind of thing for themselves with hard work and sacrifice don't like this thread. So they attack it, say it cannot be true. This just can't happen, they pretend.

Instead of being happy for the couple, they try to tear it down.

America, 2015. Sad to see, but this was predictable.

Don't worry about those fools Mac!!

Some people are simply "LOSERS". Losers suck at life and are negative, needy c*nts who need a ready excuse for why "they can't"_______________
(fill in the blank- lose weight, save money, get a job etc..) They see others do it, and it pisses them off.

Facing the reality that your life is nothing but a reflection of your own effort and attitude is very hard to face. Losers can't or won't do "hard stuff".

It is way easier to blame others for your own failings.......

There is some truth to this as well, although I would not have put is so crudely.

People don't seem to grasp how much work executives, business owners, and CEOs put in.

The average CEO puts in, between 50 to 60 hours, every single week. They are not doing 40, and going home.

The average CEO, doesn't get a real vacation. Our CEO last year on vacation, had a problem come up that he had to deal with. Why? Because he's the CEO. He had to buy a ticket... fly back... work out the problem... and then fly back to his vacation. Not on the same day. So his week vacation, had a hole of 2 days right in the middle.

When you 40/hr people take a week off, does anyone call you, and ask you to come in? Not usually. Normally... no, I'm on vacation. CEOs don't get that. That's why they earn the big bucks.

We had a roll out for a massive company in Florida. The roll out had problems. The CEO, the Executive of Production, and Chief Engineer, all got on a plane, and spent 5 days, working 12 hours shifts, in the Florida heat, (outdoors), fixing the problems.

Did any of us, in the air conditioned production department go? Yeah, we got to go.... home... at 3:30 every day, and collect our pay check.

Then we have these yahoos at work... crazy people. Guy sits in the service department, and when there's work that needs done, he's doing it, but otherwise, he's on youtube, he has his guitar (literally) there and he's playing music on it, and then he comes out to production... leans back on a chair, puts his feet up on the table and says...

" I just hate those rich guys up front saying we can't get a raise, while we're working so hard for what we earn"

He literally said this, while doing absolutely nothing.... just sitting there with his feet up... complaining he's not paid enough.

The secret to happiness is LBYM

LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS!
The funniest part of my profession (and I do mean "funny") is when I have a couple like this sitting in front of me with a nice nest egg to invest for retirement.

So often - and it happened again in this case - they say "well, we just never had to have the fanciest clothes or cars, we tried to live below our means and put money away, we just tried to be careful, etc. etc....."

I swear, it's like they're APOLOGIZING for having saved and invested so much. They're just this side of EMBARRASSED.

:laugh:

Colorado. I don't know what their salaries were. Since they're retired I didn't ask.

She came from a divorce and had nothing when they got married.

Ahhh....I see.

figure it out yourself, an average American would retire with $1.4 million on 15% of his lifetime earnings. Capitalism makes most Americans rich but then liberals steal the money and give them back dog food money for which , as brain dead liberals , they are oddly grateful!!

A couple of hardcore left wing partisan ideologues who don't want to believe that people can do this kind of thing for themselves with hard work and sacrifice don't like this thread. So they attack it, say it cannot be true. This just can't happen, they pretend.

Some people are simply "LOSERS". Losers suck at life and are negative, needy c*nts who need a ready excuse for why "they can't"_______________
(fill in the blank- lose weight, save money, get a job etc..) They see others do it, and it pisses them off.

Facing the reality that your life is nothing but a reflection of your own effort and attitude is very hard to face. Losers can't or won't do "hard stuff".

There is some truth to this as well, although I would not have put is so crudely.

People don't seem to grasp how much work executives, business owners, and CEOs put in.

The average CEO puts in, between 50 to 60 hours, every single week. They are not doing 40, and going home.

The average CEO, doesn't get a real vacation. Our CEO last year on vacation, had a problem come up that he had to deal with. Why? Because he's the CEO. He had to buy a ticket... fly back... work out the problem... and then fly back to his vacation. Not on the same day. So his week vacation, had a hole of 2 days right in the middle.

When you 40/hr people take a week off, does anyone call you, and ask you to come in? Not usually. Normally... no, I'm on vacation. CEOs don't get that. That's why they earn the big bucks.

We had a roll out for a massive company in Florida. The roll out had problems. The CEO, the Executive of Production, and Chief Engineer, all got on a plane, and spent 5 days, working 12 hours shifts, in the Florida heat, (outdoors), fixing the problems.

Did any of us, in the air conditioned production department go? Yeah, we got to go.... home... at 3:30 every day, and collect our pay check.

Then we have these yahoos at work... crazy people. Guy sits in the service department, and when there's work that needs done, he's doing it, but otherwise, he's on youtube, he has his guitar (literally) there and he's playing music on it, and then he comes out to production... leans back on a chair, puts his feet up on the table and says...

" I just hate those rich guys up front saying we can't get a raise, while we're working so hard for what we earn"

He literally said this, while doing absolutely nothing.... just sitting there with his feet up... complaining he's not paid enough.
Oh, I'd guess the average CEO puts in at LEAST 50 or 60 hours a week.

And a small to mid-sized business owner? Quite a bit more than that.

Of course, the "you didn't build that, someone ELSE made that happen" crowd doesn't want to hear about THAT, though.

Ahhh....I see.

Of course, the "you didn't build that, someone ELSE made that happen" crowd doesn't want to hear about THAT, though.

More like 20 to 30.

More like 20 to 30.
I absolutely believe that it's absolutely possible that you absolutely believe that.

More like 20 to 30.

But you are just wrong. Have you ever run a business of any size and scope?

More like 20 to 30.

this is the case with most CEOs, who usually spend at least an additional two hours of their evenings working from home. Added to the previous hours spent working in the office, this makes for an even longer day of 13-14 hours. When asked what time they go to bed, most CEOs said that they try to be in bed by 10:30 p.m., which gives them 6-7 hours of sleep before the next day begins.

Weekends – Not Just for Relaxing

Once the work week is over, it means the all the work is done, right? Unsurprisingly, this isn’t the case for most CEOs

Gotta keep the meme going:

CEO's don't work, CEO's are evil, CEO's cheated and stepped over others, business owners don't work, business owners are evil, business owners cheated and stepped over others, you didn't build that, someone else made that happen, you don't deserve that, you don't own that, you can't keep that, success is suspect, you just woke up one day with all this freakin' money out of freakin' nowhere because it was all just handed to you 'n stuff.

Choose one or two and repeat 'em for a while. Attack the achievers so that no one's feelings are hurt.

And don't even be happy for a couple who worked hard and saved, let alone the CEO.

America, 2015.

Last edited:
But what is the rate of return? Getting something cheap, if it has a lousy ROI, is not a win.
It is just a broad index fund, it goes as the stock market goes. Returns:
1 year = 17.52%
5 year = 14.4%
10 year = 8.76%

I'm not sure what the closes equiv in American funds is, probably AMCAP-A
1 year = 17.85%
5 year = 14.38%
10 year = 9.07%

Expense ratios?
VTSAX = 0.05%
AMCPX = 0.70%

Load?
VTSAX = 0%
AMCPX = 5.75%

How do you think paying an extra 0.65% in expenses ever year and 5.75% right off the top eats into your savings?

Morningstar's fee projection for $10k for AMCPX:
3 years = $786
5 years = $942
10 years = $1395

Fee projection for VSTAZ:
3 years = $16
5 years = $28
10 years = $64

You keep saying that, and yet my fund has gotten 13% year over year, for the past 30 years. And some of the other, safer, index funds have gotten 6%.
Again, this is a terrible way to compare mutual funds.

What you are measuring when using "since inception" is as much about timing of the mutual fund's existence in economic cycles as much as how their investments perform over time.

Furthermore nobody is claiming being an index fund is in itself safer, an index can be tracking extremely volatile commodity sensitive emerging growth equities or it can be tracking US govt bongs.

The secret to happiness is LBYM

LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS!

^^^ Twoo Dat ^^^

I'd rather have the peace of mind of my investment accounts than a new luxury car and a fancier house.

More like 20 to 30.

Just showing your ignorance, AGAIN, bub.

More like 20 to 30.

Yes.

More like 20 to 30.

Yes.

Do tell.

You keep saying that, and yet my fund has gotten 13% year over year, for the past 30 years. And some of the other, safer, index funds have gotten 6%.
Again, this is a terrible way to compare mutual funds.

What you are measuring when using "since inception" is as much about timing of the mutual fund's existence in economic cycles as much as how their investments perform over time.

Furthermore nobody is claiming being an index fund is in itself safer, an index can be tracking extremely volatile commodity sensitive emerging growth equities or it can be tracking US govt bongs.

1973, and 1983, neither were what you would call stock market boom times, or crash times.

I find that interesting that you think comparing funds over a broad time frame is bad, but over a short time frame, is good.

Fund returns in the short term are easier to skew. Any fund can jump into the market, and time the wave right. But the quality of the guiding principals of that fund will be revealed over a longer time horizon.

There is no way that consistent decent returns can be achieved from having a lucky pick start date, 40 years prior. That does not seem plausible.

More like 20 to 30.

Yes.

Do tell.
Yes do tell Millennial.

Forum List

Back