Nurse arrested for following hospital policy

My dad taught me that lesson early on........

Then we have that in common at least.
True but my ego can still take your ego any day........... :eusa_whistle:

My ego is bigger than your ego!

Ego-the-Living-Planet-630x444.jpg

A nurse in Utah was arrested because she would not take blood from an unconscious patient. Apparently the hospital policy only allows drawing of blood from unconscious patients if they have given consent, if the police have a warrant, or if the patient is under arrest. The body cam video of the incident seems to show the officer involved arresting the woman out of anger and frustration, rather than because she had violated any law.

The nurse was not charged. The officer was taken off of blood draw duty. Based just on the video (and obviously, there may be important information we don't get from this video) I would think the officer needs some sort of discipline. It appears to me to be an abuse of authority.

Nurse arrested for refusing to draw blood from unconscious patient

A warrant is used for searches and seizures. I think the term you are looking for is court order.

I had a school resource police officer tell me to pick up a carton of milk off the floor, a carton that did not end up on the floor because of me. I simply flipped her off and went about my day. It's amazing that the police think we somehow work for them when it's the other way around. I don't answer to their back and call unless they have a lawful reason for me to do something.

No, they pretty clearly say warrant in the videos.
It was warrantless.

The nurse should not have gotten all hysterical. It never works out well.
The nurse did not start "getting all hysterical" until he grabbed and arrested her......you might want to actually watch the video.
Resisting arrest is a crime of itself.

If you don't want to do what a police officer tells you just say no.

Then if he arrests you don't resist the arrest.

There are avenues of remedy later on.

This cop is on thin ice and so is the nurse.

A nurse in Utah was arrested because she would not take blood from an unconscious patient. Apparently the hospital policy only allows drawing of blood from unconscious patients if they have given consent, if the police have a warrant, or if the patient is under arrest. The body cam video of the incident seems to show the officer involved arresting the woman out of anger and frustration, rather than because she had violated any law.

The nurse was not charged. The officer was taken off of blood draw duty. Based just on the video (and obviously, there may be important information we don't get from this video) I would think the officer needs some sort of discipline. It appears to me to be an abuse of authority.

I see assault & battery, kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, false arrest, and several civil rights violations. The nurse should collect at least $100,000,000 in punitive damages. The cop should end his life nailed to a cross and screaming.
I see interfering with a police officer.

A warrant is used for searches and seizures. I think the term you are looking for is court order.

I had a school resource police officer tell me to pick up a carton of milk off the floor, a carton that did not end up on the floor because of me. I simply flipped her off and went about my day. It's amazing that the police think we somehow work for them when it's the other way around. I don't answer to their back and call unless they have a lawful reason for me to do something.

It was warrantless.

Yes, it was an attempt to get the blood sample without a warrant. I think that Slashsnake was trying to say that a court order, rather than a warrant, was needed. I was pointing out that both the nurse reading the hospital policy, and the officer who spoke to the nurse after she was handcuffed in the back of the car, specifically mentioned the need for a warrant, rather than a court order.

Too bad nobody gave the cop a hot shot...say, a full syringe of insulin.

Any cops brought to that ER in the future should simply be ignored, just left to bleed out.

No medical professional who is with anything would do that. That's the difference; they don't judge their patients and decide what they "deserve."
If a judge tells you to do something then you are legally obligated to do it.

If you don't he/she will send the sheriff to arrest you not the police.

How this snafu/fubar will get resolved is likely with reprimands on both sides.

Both will likely be fined by a justice court.

It was warrantless.

Yes, it was an attempt to get the blood sample without a warrant. I think that Slashsnake was trying to say that a court order, rather than a warrant, was needed. I was pointing out that both the nurse reading the hospital policy, and the officer who spoke to the nurse after she was handcuffed in the back of the car, specifically mentioned the need for a warrant, rather than a court order.
A court order is another word/phrase for a warrant.

Samee same.

The nurse did not start "getting all hysterical" until he grabbed and arrested her......you might want to actually watch the video.
Resisting arrest is a crime of itself.

If you don't want to do what a police officer tells you just say no.

Then if he arrests you don't resist the arrest.

There are avenues of remedy later on.

I doubt the nurse is at all on thin ice. She has not been charged that I've read, I can't imagine she will be. Any attempt to charge her with resisting arrest would almost certainly lead to public outcry, and would likely fail in court.

I see assault & battery, kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, false arrest, and several civil rights violations. The nurse should collect at least $100,000,000 in punitive damages. The cop should end his life nailed to a cross and screaming.

Do you think that the nurse will be charged with interfering with a police officer if that officer was attempting to illegally obtain a blood sample?

Too bad nobody gave the cop a hot shot...say, a full syringe of insulin.

Any cops brought to that ER in the future should simply be ignored, just left to bleed out.

No medical professional who is with anything would do that. That's the difference; they don't judge their patients and decide what they "deserve."
If a judge tells you to do something then you are legally obligated to do it.

If you don't he/she will send the sheriff to arrest you not the police.

How this snafu/fubar will get resolved is likely with reprimands on both sides.

Both will likely be fined by a justice court.

A judge didn't tell her anything.

They wanted that blood sample so they could doctor it to make it look as if the truck driver was under the influence of something , thereby shifting the blame to the driver and away from the cops in reckless persuit.

They wanted that blood sample so they could doctor it to make it look as if the truck driver was under the influence of something , thereby shifting the blame to the driver and away from the cops in reckless persuit.

I agree. Why half ass break the law otherwise?

No, she's not. She is not charged, nor will be she be long after the fact.

And law doesn't tend to tolerate vindictive prosecuting either. For instance, if she were to charge the cop civilly and the DA suddenly pressed charges. Those are the type of charges that are not only often thrown out by judges so fast; but they often subject DA's to bar reviews.

You are all alone in that view. The courts and the precedents all say the cop was wrong. The police and the district attorney all say the cops were wrong. The lawyers for the hospital say the nurse was right. There is all of those on one side and on the other is you. All alone. Thank whatever deity you want that the rest of us are rational.

She should have stuck the cop with 100 units of insulin. OOPS!
Why? Is the cop a pothead? I'm all for giving dopers a hot shot.

The nurse should not have gotten hysterical. The doctor was on the phone trying to explain that drawing blood without consent or a warrant was against hospital policy. This means that NO ONE would have been able to draw blood. It wasn't going to happen. Unless the cop was prepared to arrest each and every person at the hospital, that nurse was going to go home in a few minutes and sue the city. She should have laughed right in that cop's face.

She should have stuck the cop with 100 units of insulin. OOPS!
Why? Is the cop a pothead? I'm all for giving dopers a hot shot.

The nurse should not have gotten hysterical. The doctor was on the phone trying to explain that drawing blood without consent or a warrant was against hospital policy. This means that NO ONE would have been able to draw blood. It wasn't going to happen. Unless the cop was prepared to arrest each and every person at the hospital, that nurse was going to go home in a few minutes and sue the city. She should have laughed right in that cop's face.

That's an interesting narrative.

But it fails to take into consideration that by this point, it's already come out on video that the cop in question was ordered by his supervisor to arrest the nurse, as a way to intimidate a hospital that had a history of not "cooperating" with their illegal demands.

Forum List

Back