NY TIMES Editorial Board: Cancel Culture Created Campus Protests

HikerGuy83

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2021

You won't find the phrase "cancel culture" in the NY Times' editorial about campus protests, but that is what they are talking about. It's actually hard to tell because I think the Times editorial board must have been a bit hesitant to write something saying that conservative critics of campus culture are right. As a result of this effort to avoid saying things that might upset progressives, the message is a bit muddled. Still, by straining out the filler it's possible to get to the point.

It sounds to me like the board is addressing the calls for student amnesty (which most of the protesters include in their demands). The board is saying that If you want to push the boundaries you should expect consequences. And after several paragraphs we get back to this theme about accountability and how the lack of it has made things worse.

Yes, well it was bound to happen.

Biden and the rest of the coddling idiots of the left-wing are teaching kids they can throw tantrums and not suffer for it.

It's amazing to read the demands of these spoiled rich brats. Simply amazing.

From the NTY Editorial:

For several years, many university leaders have failed to act as their students and faculty have shown ever greater readiness to block an expanding range of views that they deem wrong or beyond the pale. Some scholars report that this has had a chilling effect on their work, making them less willing to participate in the academy or in the wider world of public discourse. The price of pushing boundaries, particularly with more conservative ideas, has become higher and higher...

It has not gone unnoticed — on campuses but also by members of Congress and by the public writ large — that many of those who are now demanding the right to protest have previously sought to curtail the speech of those whom they declared hateful.

And here we have students, with silver spoons stuck up their asses get in the way.

Because they know they are right....even when they are not.

You won't find the phrase "cancel culture" in the NY Times' editorial about campus protests, but that is what they are talking about. It's actually hard to tell because I think the Times editorial board must have been a bit hesitant to write something saying that conservative critics of campus culture are right. As a result of this effort to avoid saying things that might upset progressives, the message is a bit muddled. Still, by straining out the filler it's possible to get to the point.

It sounds to me like the board is addressing the calls for student amnesty (which most of the protesters include in their demands). The board is saying that If you want to push the boundaries you should expect consequences. And after several paragraphs we get back to this theme about accountability and how the lack of it has made things worse.

Biden and the rest of the coddling idiots of the left-wing are teaching kids they can throw tantrums and not suffer for it.

The pendulum will always swing both ways, unfortunately it never comes back all the way to the right. It's called incrementalism and is the commies long game.

As I awake.with yet another migraine and pain behind my eye I can't help but think about how America allowed their "allies" to be anything but followers of civil liberties/freedom and how so many foreign actors have influenced your nation for the worst. Both sides prefer to listen to these abusers rather than our citizens so this decline, guided by the invisible hand of foreign agents will continue. Wait until the da America has to go to.war to save the world, then the anti-American protesters will be out in force...

I see you are bothered by people who do not think exactly like you do, tough shit.

Every once in a while the Times has a ray of sunlight leak into their building and it gives you hope. Then they are right back to their old tricks again. Baby steps.

Forum List

Back