🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NYT defends Republicans over Graham's challenge re not protesting Bush

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I know, I find it hard to believe myself, but they actually pointed out that this hsan't happened since the Civil War, so there was, quite reasonably, no reason to protest it if you support the use of force in and of itself.

One morning in late September 2011, a group of American drones took off from an airstrip the C.I.A. had built in the remote southern expanse of Saudi Arabia. The drones crossed the border into Yemen, and were soon hovering over a group of trucks clustered in a desert patch of Jawf Province, a region of the impoverished country once renowned for breeding Arabian horses.
A group of men who had just finished breakfast scrambled to get to their trucks. One was Anwar al-Awlaki, the firebrand preacher, born in New Mexico, who had evolved from a peddler of Internet hatred to a senior operative in Al Qaeda’s branch in Yemen. Another was Samir Khan, another American citizen who had moved to Yemen from North Carolina and was the creative force behind Inspire, the militant group’s English-language Internet magazine.

Two of the Predator drones pointed lasers on the trucks to pinpoint the targets, while the larger Reapers took aim. The Reaper pilots, operating their planes from thousands of miles away, readied for the missile shots, and fired.

It was the culmination of years of painstaking intelligence work, intense deliberation by lawyers working for President Obama and turf fights between the Pentagon and the C.I.A., whose parallel drone wars converged on the killing grounds of Yemen. For what was apparently the first time since the Civil War, the United States government had carried out the deliberate killing of an American citizen as a wartime enemy and without a trial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/w...aki-a-us-citizen-in-americas-cross-hairs.html

And the Al Qaeda terrorist senior operative Anwar al-Awlaki could have been arrested and tried here...how?

Last edited:
First time since the Civil War.

Were there American citizens high up in the German government during World War II? How about in Hanoi?

No.

Last edited:
Republicans are mad because they want Anwar al-Awlaki to have been Mirandized before they tortured him.

I swear, the rabid dogs who have hijacked the GOP have memory spans like that of goldfish, and think the rest of us do, too.

Last edited:
This is the way I imagine the GOP would have lambasted Clinton had he taken out bin Laden in the 90's.

Good riddence to Anwar al-Awlaki. To bad he brought his son to his war however.

Forum List

Back