Obama Returns to End-of-Life Plan That Caused Stir

By the way Stephanie, I have many sob stories(shows how much you are), because I have actually provided end of life care for many people, and work in the health care field. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about.

you know what, you are an idiot.
go back and READ the article to find out wtf it is about.

I've applied for a position in the Death Panel.

And when I am given the position, one of my first orders of business will be to summon YOU before the panel for TERMINIAL STUPIDITY.

Stephanie quit while you are ahead, you have no clue what you are talking about. ;)

First off this programs would be good, especially now that baby boomers are starting to get dementia and alzheimers. These doctors will only be ADVISING on what a patient should do when they are close to death, so maybe they don't waste large amounts of money on treatments that will not help, or could speed up the death process.

I would expect that my family doctor would already provide me a road map to help me consider such...

“Advance care planning improves end-of-life care and patient and family satisfaction and reduces stress, anxiety and depression in surviving relatives,” the administration said in the preamble to the Medicare regulation, quoting research published this year in the British Medical Journal.
from the link.

I smell Berwick.:lol:

Oh, how profound!

Anything informative to add to that, parasite?

Or maybe you just meant "Wrong, it IS a big secret?"

oh wow, I think I have beat you down on this very subject, slug.

Mmm.... Nah. You've never beat me down on anything. You too stooooopid.

Look up the word triage, then tell me if American hospitals have them, and get back to me.

So we have never discussed this subject?

Let's start with your exact words

Well sure it is, in ER's and hospital triage centers. No big secret, is it?
Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act
Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And moron you already lost

By the way Stephanie, I have many sob stories(shows how much you are), because I have actually provided end of life care for many people, and work in the health care field. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about.

And when I am given the position, one of my first orders of business will be to summon YOU before the panel for TERMINIAL STUPIDITY.

well bully for you

As long as you don't decide on if my dad should get that 4th heart surgery or just go on pain pills and die peacefully...........ahem ahem

SNIP:

Surprise! End-of-life advisory incentives return — through regulationShare40posted at 12:00 pm on December 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey
printer-friendly Better get used to this process, because it’s how President Obama will be pushing his agenda on all fronts. The New York Times reports today that the White House will create incentives for doctors to discuss “options” for end of life care through regulation, after Congress removed the incentives from ObamaCare:
Under the new policy, outlined in a Medicare regulation, the government will pay doctors who advise patients on options for end-of-life care, which may include advance directives to forgo aggressive life-sustaining treatment.
Congressional supporters of the new policy, though pleased, have kept quiet. They fear provoking another furor like the one in 2009 when Republicans seized on the idea of end-of-life counseling to argue that the Democrats’ bill would allow the government to cut off care for the critically ill.
The final version of the health care legislation, signed into law by President Obama in March, authorized Medicare coverage of yearly physical examinations, or wellness visits. The new rule says Medicare will cover “voluntary advance care planning,” to discuss end-of-life treatment, as part of the annual visit.
Under the rule, doctors can provide information to patients on how to prepare an “advance directive,” stating how aggressively they wish to be treated if they are so sick that they cannot make health care decisions for themselves.
While the new law does not mention advance care planning, the Obama administration has been able to achieve its policy goal through the regulation-writing process, a strategy that could become more prevalent in the next two years as the president deals with a strengthened Republican opposition in Congress.
There is nothing wrong with patients planning for contingencies through advance directives. There is also nothing wrong with doctors discussing those options with patients ahead of those decisions

SNIP:
There is, however, something at least vaguely disturbing about a government incentivizing doctors to do so as part of an expansive regulatory program that has, as one of its primary goals, cost reduction. The process used by Obama and Kathleen Sebelius to get this into ObamaCare is more disturbing, and in a very specific way. Congress made it clear that it didn’t want this incentive as part of the new law. However, thanks to the miles and miles of ambiguity in the final version of ObamaCare, with its repetitive the Secretary shall determine language, Congress has more or less passed a blank check for regulatory growth to Obama and Sebelius.
read it all and comments at.
Surprise! End-of-life advisory incentives return — through regulation Hot Air
voluntary advance care planning,”
Under the rule, doctors can provide information to patients on how to prepare an “advance directive,” stating how aggressively they wish to be treated if they are so sick that they cannot make health care decisions for themselves.

Like I said Stephanie, you have no idea what you are talking about.
You do realize that doctors already do this?

Stephanie quit while you are ahead, you have no clue what you are talking about. ;)

First off this programs would be good, especially now that baby boomers are starting to get dementia and alzheimers. These doctors will only be ADVISING on what a patient should do when they are close to death, so maybe they don't waste large amounts of money on treatments that will not help, or could speed up the death process.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS2kUY6j73s&feature=recentlik[/ame]

You do realize that doctors already have end of life counceling, and provide information on what a patient should do? I love how people who have no clue what goes into providing end of life care, try to act like they know what this means.
You do realize filling out your DNR status falls under end of life counceling?

I would expect that my family doctor would already provide me a road map to help me consider such...

And if you are on medicare, he will be paid for providing that road map.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS2kUY6j73s&feature=recentlik[/ame]

You do realize that doctors already have end of life counceling, and provide information on what a patient should do? I love how people who have no clue what goes into providing end of life care, try to act like they know what this means.

Doctors maybe, but the governments version will consist of no doctors but buracrats.

I love how people who have no clue what goes into providing end of life care, try to act like they know what this means.
I was thinking the same thing about you.

Last edited:

Doctors maybe, but the governments version will consist of no doctors but buracrats.

I love how people who have no clue what goes into providing end of life care, try to act like they know what this means.

I have provided end of life care for 30+ people, how about you?

Hey Bigrig, it only mentions doctors be compensated in the article. Where does it say otherwise?

I have provided end of life care for 30+ people, how about you?

ok, I have leaped over tall building in a single bond on the internet.:clap2:

SNIP:

Surprise! End-of-life advisory incentives return — through regulationShare40posted at 12:00 pm on December 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey
printer-friendly Better get used to this process, because it’s how President Obama will be pushing his agenda on all fronts. The New York Times reports today that the White House will create incentives for doctors to discuss “options” for end of life care through regulation, after Congress removed the incentives from ObamaCare:
Under the new policy, outlined in a Medicare regulation, the government will pay doctors who advise patients on options for end-of-life care, which may include advance directives to forgo aggressive life-sustaining treatment.
Congressional supporters of the new policy, though pleased, have kept quiet. They fear provoking another furor like the one in 2009 when Republicans seized on the idea of end-of-life counseling to argue that the Democrats’ bill would allow the government to cut off care for the critically ill.
The final version of the health care legislation, signed into law by President Obama in March, authorized Medicare coverage of yearly physical examinations, or wellness visits. The new rule says Medicare will cover “voluntary advance care planning,” to discuss end-of-life treatment, as part of the annual visit.
While the new law does not mention advance care planning, the Obama administration has been able to achieve its policy goal through the regulation-writing process, a strategy that could become more prevalent in the next two years as the president deals with a strengthened Republican opposition in Congress.
There is nothing wrong with patients planning for contingencies through advance directives. There is also nothing wrong with doctors discussing those options with patients ahead of those decisions

SNIP:
There is, however, something at least vaguely disturbing about a government incentivizing doctors to do so as part of an expansive regulatory program that has, as one of its primary goals, cost reduction. The process used by Obama and Kathleen Sebelius to get this into ObamaCare is more disturbing, and in a very specific way. Congress made it clear that it didn’t want this incentive as part of the new law. However, thanks to the miles and miles of ambiguity in the final version of ObamaCare, with its repetitive the Secretary shall determine language, Congress has more or less passed a blank check for regulatory growth to Obama and Sebelius.
voluntary advance care planning,”

agreed. but I believe there in an incentive now to provide this now.....*shrugs*. I am not too hot about it, but I am wondering why every time its brought up the admin. does a flip and backs off, they should explain this clearly and plainly.

SNIP:

SNIP:

agreed. but I believe there in an incentive now to provide this now.....*shrugs*. I am not too hot about it, but I am wondering why every time its brought up the admin. does a flip and backs off, they should explain this clearly and plainly.

Actually there is more incentive to provide care they don't need, or that could make their condition worse.
Having done this work for a few years now, I know there is a need to educate the patient and the families on what should probably be done. I also knows this means they don't have to follow the doctors recommendation.
When I see a lady with end stage dementia receiving chemo for cancer, a cancer she can't even remember she has, there is a problem. Her doctor obviously didn't educate the family or guardian well enough, so they knew she only had about a year to live anyways.
The lady couldn't even remember she had cancer or that she was going through chemo. It was also quite fun watching her throw up every day and choke down 16 pills at a time.

Just for starters

SEC. 3209. AUTHORITY TO DENY PLAN BIDS.

(a) In General.--Section 1854(a)(5) of the Social Security Act (42
U.S.C. 1395w-24(a)(5)) is amended by adding at the end the following new
subparagraph:
``(C) Rejection of bids.--
``(i) In general.--Nothing in this section
shall be construed as requiring the Secretary to
accept any or every bid submitted by an MA
organization under this subsection.
``(ii) Authority to deny bids that propose
significant increases in cost sharing or decreases
in benefits.--The Secretary may deny a bid
submitted by an MA organization for an MA plan if
it proposes significant increases in cost sharing
or decreases in benefits offered under the
plan.''.

(b) Application Under Part D.--Section 1860D-11(d) of such Act (42
U.S.C. 1395w-111(d)) is amended by adding at the end the following new
paragraph:
``(3) Rejection of bids. <<NOTE: Applicability.>> --
Paragraph (5)(C) of section 1854(a) shall apply with respect to
bids submitted by a PDP sponsor under subsection (b) in the same
manner as such paragraph applies to bids submitted by an MA
organization under such section 1854(a).''.

http://origin.www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ148/html/PLAW-111publ148.htm

Forum List

Back