Ocean acidifying at unprecedented rate

If your blood pH drops from the normal 7.4 down to 7.3, unpleasant things will be happening to you. But no biggie. After all, it's just 0.1 pH unit. Obviously, the oceans and everything in them can cope better than people do. Just because.

Oh, that's called "acidosis", even though the blood pH is still above 7.

As stated in your article, that acidity is NATURAL - likely a result of Palau's unusual freshwater holdings leaching out - my point being that those corals developed and grew in that acidic water for hundreds of thousands of years or likely millions of years. Their conditions did not change at the rapid pace currently taking place from human CO2 emissions.

Ahhhh, good point.. Except that this discovery WAS NEWS to these top ocean biologists...
Had no FREAKING idea of the pH range at the Palau coast. So you and I still DON'T KNOW what annual/seasonal/daily RANGE or RATE that specie is exposed to.. All this attention on OA is just revealing how much we DON'T KNOW.. So you guys are just jonesin' on speculations.

If your blood pH drops from the normal 7.4 down to 7.3, unpleasant things will be happening to you. But no biggie. After all, it's just 0.1 pH unit. Obviously, the oceans and everything in them can cope better than people do. Just because.

Thanks for the news flash Doc. That explains why when I took my surfboard out of the breakers (at pH 8.1) and took that freshwater (at pH 7.0) shower up at the ramp -- I could feel my blood chemistry instantly changing... Should have brought the Dial soap to compensate...

Instead of what, instead of you addressing the physical impossibility of CO2 acidifying a 1 *10^21 volume of water

I'll address it by pointing out you look crazy for making such a claim, given that we've directly measured that thing you claim is impossible.

Oh, the actual numbers? Good question. You can't just use the disassociation constant for carbonic acid, due to the multi-layered buffering system involved. And because the surface waters saturate first, and then the CO2 is slowly transported down.

Last edited:
As stated in your article, that acidity is NATURAL - likely a result of Palau's unusual freshwater holdings leaching out - my point being that those corals developed and grew in that acidic water for hundreds of thousands of years or likely millions of years. Their conditions did not change at the rapid pace currently taking place from human CO2 emissions.

Ahhhh, good point.. Except that this discovery WAS NEWS to these top ocean biologists...
Had no FREAKING idea of the pH range at the Palau coast. So you and I still DON'T KNOW what annual/seasonal/daily RANGE or RATE that specie is exposed to.. All this attention on OA is just revealing how much we DON'T KNOW.. So you guys are just jonesin' on speculations.

You think that list of peer reviewed publications are "speculations"? You're projecting the sort of sources you usually use.

Last edited:
They can't play the weather card because it's so freaking cold so they try the hole card. If the PH don't work and democrats are defeated in the mid term it's curtains for the extortion movement.

You're the one who has repeatedly demonstrated your intellectual lacking.

Find for us an occasion in the last 5 million years when conditions would have caused the rate of increase that humans have produced with CO2 in the last 150 years?

HTM 8,000 years ago temps were 5 degrees C warmer. Now go away. You're a damned broken record, either come up with something new or go away. You're boring.

You think this will be over in an election cycle or two?

Yes, the "theory" of CAGW will be dead and buried, save for a few loons, within the next eight years.

How much CO2 do you have to add to a volume of water 1*10^21KG to drop the pH by .1?

You think that list of peer reviewed publications are "speculations"? You're projecting the sort of sources you usually use.

Last time we did this topic, you cut and pasted 20 studies on bio impact and we did 4 of them and you failed to PROVIDE ONE that was conclusive evidence of specie damage due to OA.. Aint doin that again.. Provide ONE at a time...

You're the one who has repeatedly demonstrated your intellectual lacking.

Find for us an occasion in the last 5 million years when conditions would have caused the rate of increase that humans have produced with CO2 in the last 150 years?

HTM 8,000 years ago temps were 5 degrees C warmer. Now go away. You're a damned broken record, either come up with something new or go away. You're boring.

Link?

You think this will be over in an election cycle or two?

Yes, the "theory" of CAGW will be dead and buried, save for a few loons, within the next eight years.

Well, if you are not croaked by that time, I will remind you what a fool you were and are.:badgrin:

How nice of you. I notice you never responded to the post where you claimed to make 2.17 an hour in your first job. Yet ANOTHER lie I have caught you in eh olfraud?:lol:

Here's a few for you. I'll use your swamp them with data method. Knock yourself out...

Szeicz, J. M., MacDonald, G. M., Duk-Rodkin, A., 1995. Late Quaternary vegetation history of the central Mackenzie Mountains, Northwest Territories, Canada. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 113, 351-371.

Teller, J.T., Leverington, D.W., Mann, J.D., 2002. Freshwater outbursts to the oceans from glacial Lake Aggassiz and their role in climate change during the last deglaciation. Quaternary Science Reviews 21, 879-888.

TEMPO, 1996. Feedbacks between climate and the boreal forest during the Holocene epoch. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 10, 727-736.

TenBrink, N.W., Waythomas, C., 1985. Late Wisconsin glacial chronology of the north-central Alaska Range; A regional synthesis and its implications for early human settlements. In Powers, W.R. (Ed.), North Alaska Range Early Man Project. National Geographic Society, Washington, D.C., pp. 15-32.

Thompson, D.W.J., Wallace, J.M., 1998. The Arctic Oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields. Geophyscial Research Letters 25, 1297-1300.

Vardy, S.R., Warner, B.G., Aravena, R., 1997. Holocene climate effects on the development of a peatland on the Tuktoyaktuk Peninsula, Northwest Territories. Quaternary Research 47, 90 104.

Vardy, S.R., Warner, B.G., Aravena, R., 1998. Holocene climate and the development of a subarctic peatland near Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada. Climatic Change 40, 285-313.

Vartanyan, S.L., 1997. The last Beringian survivors: Interdisciplinary paleogeographical studies on Wrangel Island, east Siberia. Beringian Paleoenvironments Workshop, Florissant, Colorado,155-158.

Vasari, Y., Vasari, A., 1990. L´histoire Holocéne des lacs Islandais. In: Devers, S. (Ed.), Pour Jean Malaurie. Editions Plon, Paris, 277-293.

Vavrus, S.J., 1999. The response of the coupled Arctic sea ice-atmospheric system to orbital forcing and ice motion at 6 kyr and 115 kyr BP. Journal of Climate 12, 873-896.

Vavrus, S.J., Harrison, S.P., in press. The impact of sea ice dynamics on the arctic climate system. Climate Dynamics.

Viau, A., 2003. Millennial-scale climate variability in North America during the past 14,000 years. PhD dissertation, University of Ottawa, Ontario, 319 pp.

Wagner, B., Melles, M., 2001. A Holocene seabird record from Raffles Sø sediments, East Greenland, in response to climatic and oceanic changes. Boreas 30, 228-239.

Wagner, B., Melles, M., 2002. Holocene environmental history of western Ymer Ø, East Greenland, inferred from lake sediments. Quaternary International 89, 165-176.

Wagner, B. Melles, M., Hahne, J., Niessen, F., Hubberten, H.W., 2000. Holocene climate history of Geolgraphical Society Ø, east Greenland-evidence from lake sediments. Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecology 160, 45-68.

Wastl, M., Stötter, J., Caseldine, C., 2001. Reconstruction of Holocene variations of the upper limit of tree or shrub birch growth in northern Iceland based on evidence from Vesturárdalur- Skíadalur, Tröllaskagi. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 33, 191-203.

Weber, F.R., Hamilton, T.D., Hopkins, D.M., Repenning, C.A., Haas, H., 1981. Canyon Creek: A late Plesitocene vertebrate locality in interior Alaska. Quaternary Research 16, 167-180.

White, J.W.C., Barlow, L.K., Fisher, D., Grootes, P., Jouzel, J., Johnsen, S.J., Stuiver M., Clausen, H., 1997. The climate signal in the stable isotopes of snow from Summit, Greenland: Results of comparisons with modern climate observations. Journal of Geophysical Research 102 (C12), 26425-26439.

Willemse, N., Törnqvist, T., 1999. Holocene century-scale temperature variability from West Greenland lake records. Geology 27, 580-584.

Wolfe, A., 1994. Late Wisconsinan and Holocene diatom stratigraphy from Amarok Lake, Baffin Island, NWT, Canada. Journal of Paleolimnology 10, 129-139

Wolfe, A., 1996. A high-resolution late-glacial and early Holocene diatom record from Baffin Island, eastern Canadian Arctic. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 33, 928-937.

Wolfe, B.B., Edwards, T.W.D., Aravena, R., Forman, S.L., Warner, B.G., Velichko, A.A., MacDonald, G.M., 2000. Holocene paleohydrology and paleoclimate at treeline, north-central Russia, inferred from oxygen isotope records in lake sediment cellulose. Quaternary Research 53, 319-329.

Wolfe, B.B., Edwards, T.W.D., Aravena, R., MacDonald, G.M., 1996. Rapid Holocene hydrologic change along boreal treeline revealed by d13C and d18O in organic lake sediments, Northwest Territories, Canada. Journal of Paleolimnology 15, 171-181.

Wooller, M.J., Francis, D., Fogel, M.L., Miller, G.H., Walker, I.R., Wolfe, A.P, in review. Quantitative paleotemperature estimates from d18O in chironomid head capsules from arctic lake sediment. Geology.

Zielinski, G.A., Mayewski, P.A., Meeker, L.D., Whitlow, S., Twickler, M.S., Morrison, M., Meese, D.A., Gow, A.J., Alley, R.B., 1994. Record of volcanism since 7000 B.C. from the GISP2 Greenland ice core and implications for the volcano-climate system. Science 264, 948- 952.

Zoltai, S.C., 1995. Permafrost distribution in peatlands of west-central Canada during the Holoocene warm period 6000 years B.P. Géographie physique et Quaternaire 49, 45-54.

Zoltai, S.C., Tarnocai, C., 1975. Perennially frozen peatlands in the western Arctic and Subarctic of Canada. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 12, 28-43.

Zoltai, S.C., Vitt, D.H., 1990. Holocene climatic change and the distribution of peatlands in western interior Canada. Quaternary Research 33, 231-240.

PARCS Syntheses

The situation is already irretrievable.

Not this ignorant crap again.. We've had this discussion.. Let's test your memory..
Current change of pH is roughly from 8.2 (pre-industrial) to 8.1 today.. That does yield (in a very dishonest way) a 30% more acidic number.. HOWEVER -- lets' compare pre-industrial 8.2 to the pH of PURE FRESH GLACIAL WATER at 7.0..

8.2 - 7.0 = 1.2 and (10^1.2) - 1 = (about) 1400% So PURE glacial melt water is 1400% MORE ACIDIC than preindustrial seawater..

NOBODY in science linearizes that LOG relationship unless they are trying to lie about something.. Go wring your hands and cry with GoldiRocks somewhere not so public..

And you would be the one lying here. Life in the ocean has evolved for hundreds of millions of years in an environment with a very narrow and very stable pH. Variations as small 0.1 will have a significant and negative consequence.

Put any of the world's marine species in a tank full of your pure, glacial 7.0 meltwater and what will happen to them? They will die, immediately.

Acidity and causticity, in this context, are simply directions. A pH value of 12 is more acidic than 13; 3 is more caustic than 2.

Someone linearizes pH values in an attempt to show the public that small changes in log values can be significant - particularly in the face of denier propaganda saying it isn't. Hydrogen ion concentrations are presented as log values for convenience's sake and the response function of electrodes used to measure it, not because the scale is more descriptive of it's various affects.

"Hey Bill, what's the pH in your aquarium"?
"Well Sue, the last time I checked hydrogen ion activity was 0.00031622 but I really need to get it into the 0.000125892 to 0.000199526 range, wouldn't you think"?

So sayeth the "engineer" who also said in another post,that humid air isn`t lighter than dry air.
And now he invents new words, "causticity"...it`s alkalinity you bozo.
If you were an engineer in a field which requires chemistry as part of the curriculum then you should have known that.
Obviously you know s.f.a about chemistry:
Hydrogen ion concentrations are presented as log values for convenience's sake and the response function of electrodes used to measure it, not because the scale is more descriptive of it's various affects.
First of all the pH is not the log value of the [H+] ion concentration but the NEGATIVE log of [H+] gram ions per liter.
Secondly, it had been defined as such long before we had pH electrodes.
The concept of p[H] was first introduced by Danish chemist Søren Peder Lauritz Sørensen at the Carlsberg Laboratory in 1909
3.rd A pH meter measures the emf between a H+ ion specific probe, such as Pt in a KCl solution and a Ag or Hg reference probe.

"Hey Bill, what's the pH in your aquarium"?
"Well Sue, the last time I checked hydrogen ion activity was 0.00031622
but I really need to get it into the 0.000125892 to 0.000199526 range
Which just goes to show that you have no clue how to get the log of a number. So it`s not just Chemistry that you know absolutely nothing about, but your math isn`t above basic grade school level either.
How the f- did you come up with these numbers?
I really need to get it into the 0.000125892 to 0.000199526 range
That`s in the pH range of 3.7 to 3.9...that you say a swimming pool should be at !

Last edited:
Causticity | Define Causticity at Dictionary.com

caus·tic [kaw-stik] Show IPA
adjective
capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue.
severely critical or sarcastic: a caustic remark.
noun
a caustic substance.
Optics.
a.
caustic curve.
b.
caustic surface.
Origin:
1350&#8211;1400; Middle English < Latin causticus < Greek kaustikós burning, caustic, equivalent to kaust ( ós ) burnt (verbal adjective of kaíein to burn) + -ikos -ic

Related forms
caus·ti·cal·ly, caus·tic·ly, adverb
caus·tic·i·ty [kaw-stis-i-tee] Show IPA , caus·tic·ness, noun
non·caus·tic, adjective
non·caus·ti·cal·ly, adverb
o·ver·caus·tic, adjective

I admit my mistakes. You? FCT? IanC? Westwall? SSDD? Skookerasshole? Any of you? Not so much, eh.

Causticity | Define Causticity at Dictionary.com

caus·tic [kaw-stik] Show IPA
adjective
capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue.
severely critical or sarcastic: a caustic remark.
noun
a caustic substance.
Optics.
a.
caustic curve.
b.
caustic surface.
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin causticus < Greek kaustikós burning, caustic, equivalent to kaust ( ós ) burnt (verbal adjective of kaíein to burn) + -ikos -ic

Related forms
caus·ti·cal·ly, caus·tic·ly, adverb
caus·tic·i·ty [kaw-stis-i-tee] Show IPA , caus·tic·ness, noun
non·caus·tic, adjective
non·caus·ti·cal·ly, adverb
o·ver·caus·tic, adjective

I admit my mistakes. You? FCT? IanC? Westwall? SSDD? Skookerasshole? Any of you? Not so much, eh.

Wow, you are up to the, "C" in the dictionary, which is after "B", you did say you looked up "Bigot", right.

Within a couple years, we'll be rubbing it in their faces. You know, the way that the deniers here have been proven to be some of the biggest retards to ever inhabit planet earth, all because they were too weak-minded to resist the brainwashing of their political cult. The emotional reasons as to why they supported their cult so fervently, that's another topic.

No, we won't go easy on them. They weren't born stupid. They deliberately chose to make themselves stupid for the glory of their political cult, so they bear the responsibility for their stupidity.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back