Ocean acidifying at unprecedented rate

Speaking of idiots: you seem to have missed a crucial term. The same term has been the source of your severe misunderstandings about temperature change and its effects. The term is:

RATE

I understand rate fine...

No you don't. Of if you do, you're intentionally avoiding speaking about it.

the problem is that you believe the rate is somehow different now with absolutely no actual evidence to support your beliefs.

The rate change of most paleoclimatic parameters has been on the order of centuries to millenia to hundreds of millenia - rates of change slow enough to be accurately recorded in the geological and cryological record. Events with higher dts (rates of change) are generally extinction events.

Since this has happened over and over during the course of earth history there is no reason to think that this time is unusual.

This has never happened before in the entire course of the Earth's history. Idiot.

You, on the other hand believe that it is based on what political activist, pseudoscientists tell you to believe.

Bullshit, complete and utter bullshit. I believe AGW because almost every single one of the world's climate scientists believe it. YOU are the folks trying to throw politics into this because you all find Al Gore such a painful reminder of the Bush years and his moral illegitimacy.

Abraham is oblivious to the RATES that species generally experience in shallow water estuaries, reefs and shelves. They experience the MAXIMUM range numbers for pH on HOURLY, DAILY, or SEASONAL schedules.

Obviously, any species that occupies an estuarine or intertidal zone is going to have evolved and acclimated to very dynamic conditions. While those are crucial areas to the oceans biota, they make up only a microscopic fraction of the ocean's volume and that parametric dynamicism is not typical of the ocean as a whole. Pelagic and non-littoral benthic species are NOT acclimated to dynamic salinity, temperature or pH. The changes that human GHG emissions are causing are harmful to them and that, in turn, will effect our food supply and will lead to the deterioration of barrier reefs which will allow more of the ocean's wave energy - exacerbated by increasing temperatures and the rising MSL - to reach our populated shorelines.

So, I repeat, the rate at which temperatures are rising and the ocean's pH is falling are UNPRECEDENTED in human history and well beyond.

Are the oceans acidic because they ate all the warming?

Maybe we can dump a boatload of Tums into the Pacific

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

Speaking of idiots: you seem to have missed a crucial term. The same term has been the source of your severe misunderstandings about temperature change and its effects. The term is:

RATE

I understand rate fine...

No you don't. Of if you do, you're intentionally avoiding speaking about it.

The rate change of most paleoclimatic parameters has been on the order of centuries to millenia to hundreds of millenia - rates of change slow enough to be accurately recorded in the geological and cryological record. Events with higher dts (rates of change) are generally extinction events.

This has never happened before in the entire course of the Earth's history. Idiot.

You, on the other hand believe that it is based on what political activist, pseudoscientists tell you to believe.

Bullshit, complete and utter bullshit. I believe AGW because almost every single one of the world's climate scientists believe it. YOU are the folks trying to throw politics into this because you all find Al Gore such a painful reminder of the Bush years and his moral illegitimacy.

Abraham is oblivious to the RATES that species generally experience in shallow water estuaries, reefs and shelves. They experience the MAXIMUM range numbers for pH on HOURLY, DAILY, or SEASONAL schedules.

Obviously, any species that occupies an estuarine or intertidal zone is going to have evolved and acclimated to very dynamic conditions. While those are crucial areas to the oceans biota, they make up only a microscopic fraction of the ocean's volume and that parametric dynamicism is not typical of the ocean as a whole. Pelagic and non-littoral benthic species are NOT acclimated to dynamic salinity, temperature or pH. The changes that human GHG emissions are causing are harmful to them and that, in turn, will effect our food supply and will lead to the deterioration of barrier reefs which will allow more of the ocean's wave energy - exacerbated by increasing temperatures and the rising MSL - to reach our populated shorelines.

So, I repeat, the rate at which temperatures are rising and the ocean's pH is falling are UNPRECEDENTED in human history and well beyond.

OA is also a phenomenom limited to within a few meters of the surface on decadal time scales. So if we remove estuary, reef, shelf and 90% of the ocean volume --- What the hell species are left???

More unsubstantiated, unprovable hysterics from a political hack and f'ing idiot.

You're the one who has repeatedly demonstrated your intellectual lacking.

Find for us an occasion in the last 5 million years when conditions would have caused the rate of increase that humans have produced with CO2 in the last 150 years?

Find for us an occasion in the last 5 million years when conditions would have caused the rate of increase that humans have produced with CO2 in the last 150 years?

5 million? Picking cherries? Why not go back before the last great ice age began when atmospheric CO2 was in the thousands of ppm? I am afraid that you are the clueless one mr fake engineer. By the way, why don't you go explain why you don't know whether moist air is heavier or lighter than dry air on the other thread....that is still providing a laugh over there. Ocean engineer indeed.

Why not go back before the last great ice age began when atmospheric CO2 was in the thousands of ppm?

Because I am interested in the behavior of the climate during the course of human history. If not, we could include a point in time when the Earth was a ball of molten magma and call that normal.

Do you have one or do you not?

PS: if you think you can go back even further and find a non-catastrophic event that would have raised CO2 and lowered ocean pH as rapidly* as have humans the last century and a half, let's hear about it.

* Try to keep in mind that we're talking about rates, not absolute values.

Last edited:
Because I am interested in the behavior of the climate during the course of human history. If not, we could include a point in time when the Earth was a ball of molten magma and call that normal.

PS: if you think you can go back even further and find a non-catastrophic event that would have raised CO2 and lowered ocean pH as rapidly* as have humans the last century and a half, let's hear about it.

What was the RATE 14,000 years ago when North America began deglaciating?

Last edited:
So which "Acid" is causing this?

Is it the same acid that makes Seltzer and CocaCola?

Is that the culprit?

Why not go back before the last great ice age began when atmospheric CO2 was in the thousands of ppm?

We also should probably NOT be taking a slice of climatic history where the earth was a frozen lake of glaciers either --- eh engineer?? With oscillating epochs of MASSIVE CO2 sequestration in ICE and tundra alternating with relative short periods of what we call "normal".. Sounds like a similiar bad idea..

When discussing issues like ocean acidification, one should see what those with the most knowledge concerning the issue are stating. This is a Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute site;

https://www.whoi.edu/main/topic/ocean-acidification

Gee Wiz GoldiRocks.. That's pretty much what I said..

Density- and wind-driven circulation help mix the surface and deep waters in some high latitude and coastal regions, but for much of the open ocean, deep pH changes are expected to lag surface pH changes by a few centuries.

But I know you don't read what you google and I'm a fan of WHOI, and on that same page --- I think you missed THIS ;;

https://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=83380&tid=3622&cid=184709&c=2

Coral Reefs in Palau Surprisingly Resistant to Naturally Acidified Waters
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Relations Office
[email protected]
January 16, 2014

The team collected water samples at nine points along a transect that stretched from the open ocean, across the barrier reef, into the lagoon and then into the bays and inlets around the Rock Islands of Palau, in the western Pacific Ocean. With each location they found that the seawater became increasingly acidic as they moved toward land.

“When we first plotted up those data, we were shocked,” said lead author Kathryn Shamberger, then a postdoctoral scholar at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) and a chemical oceanographer. “We had no idea the level of acidification we would find. We’re looking at reefs today that have levels that we expect for the open ocean in that region by the end of the century.”

The new research, published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union, explains the natural biological and geomorphological causes of the more acidic water near Palau’s Rock Islands and describes a surprising second finding – that the corals living in that more acidic water were unexpectedly diverse and healthy. The unusual finding, which is contrary to what has been observed in other naturally low pH coral reef systems, has important implications for the conservation of corals in all parts of the world.

Wonder how you missed it??? The science is JUST STARTING --- and you and Abe are just GUESSING at the results...

When discussing issues like ocean acidification, one should see what those with the most knowledge concerning the issue are stating. This is a Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute site;

Gee what a fascinating article!

Let's see, the article states that "Scientists calculate that the ocean is currently absorbing about one quarter of the CO2 that humans are emitting."

But your favorite site has it as "About 40% of this additional CO2 is absorbed."
https://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-smaller-than-natural-emissions.htm

Is it 25%?

40%?

What acid does CO2 form when mixed with salt water? My understanding is that this acid tends to disassociate almost instantaneously on contact with water

Total mass of the oceans is 1.4×10^21 kg. How much CO2 would you have to add to change the pH by the amount suggested?

Absolutely priceless from the one that can not prove his AGW religious beliefs.

Density- and wind-driven circulation help mix the surface and deep waters in some high latitude and coastal regions, but for much of the open ocean, deep pH changes are expected to lag surface pH changes by a few centuries.

But I know you don't read what you google and I'm a fan of WHOI, and on that same page --- I think you missed THIS ;;

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Relations Office
[email protected]
January 16, 2014

The team collected water samples at nine points along a transect that stretched from the open ocean, across the barrier reef, into the lagoon and then into the bays and inlets around the Rock Islands of Palau, in the western Pacific Ocean. With each location they found that the seawater became increasingly acidic as they moved toward land.

“When we first plotted up those data, we were shocked,” said lead author Kathryn Shamberger, then a postdoctoral scholar at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) and a chemical oceanographer. “We had no idea the level of acidification we would find. We’re looking at reefs today that have levels that we expect for the open ocean in that region by the end of the century.”

The new research, published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union, explains the natural biological and geomorphological causes of the more acidic water near Palau’s Rock Islands and describes a surprising second finding – that the corals living in that more acidic water were unexpectedly diverse and healthy. The unusual finding, which is contrary to what has been observed in other naturally low pH coral reef systems, has important implications for the conservation of corals in all parts of the world.

Wonder how you missed it??? The science is JUST STARTING --- and you and Abe are just GUESSING at the results...

As stated in your article, that acidity is NATURAL - likely a result of Palau's unusual freshwater holdings leaching out - my point being that those corals developed and grew in that acidic water for hundreds of thousands of years or likely millions of years. Their conditions did not change at the rapid pace currently taking place from human CO2 emissions.

Last edited:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Relations Office
[email protected]
January 16, 2014

As stated in your article, that acidity is NATURAL - likely a result of Palau's unusual freshwater holdings leaching out - my point being that those corals developed and grew in that acidic water for hundreds of thousands of years or likely millions of years. Their conditions did not change at the rapid pace currently taking place from human CO2 emissions.

Tell him about the oysters up in the Pacific Northwest

How about this instead Frank?

Ocean acidification is the ongoing decrease in the pH of the Earth's oceans, caused by the uptake of carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.[2] An estimated 30–40% of the carbon dioxide released by humans into the atmosphere dissolves into oceans, rivers and lakes.[3][4] To achieve chemical equilibrium, some of it reacts with the water to form carbonic acid. Some of these extra carbonic acid molecules react with a water molecule to give a bicarbonate ion and a hydronium ion, thus increasing ocean "acidity" (H+ ion concentration). Between 1751 and 1994 surface ocean pH is estimated to have decreased from approximately 8.25 to 8.14,[5] representing an increase of almost 30% in H+ ion concentration in the world's oceans.[6][7] Available Earth System Models project that within the last decade ocean pH exceeded historical analogs [8] and in combination with other ocean biogeochemical changes could undermine the functioning of marine ecosystems and many ocean goods and services.[9]

Increasing acidity is thought to have a range of possibly harmful consequences, such as depressing metabolic rate and immune response in some organisms, and causing coral bleaching.

Other chemical reactions are triggered which result in a net decrease in the amount of carbonate ions available. This makes it more difficult for marine calcifying organisms, such as coral and some plankton, to form biogenic calcium carbonate, and such structures become vulnerable to dissolution.[10] Ongoing acidification of the oceans threatens food chains connected with the oceans.[11][12] As members of the InterAcademy Panel, 105 science academies have issued a statement on ocean acidification recommending that by 2050, global CO2 emissions be reduced by at least 50% compared to the 1990 level.[13]

Ocean acidification has occurred previously in Earth's history. The most notable example is the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM),[14] which occurred approximately 56 million years ago. For reasons that are currently uncertain, massive amounts of carbon entered the ocean and atmosphere, and led to the dissolution of carbonate sediments in all ocean basins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

REFERENCES
1) Feely et al. - Evidence for upwelling of corrosive "acidified" water onto the Continental Shel". pmel.noaa.gov. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
2) Caldeira, K.; Wickett, M. E. (2003). "Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH". Nature 425 (6956): 365–365. Bibcode:2001AGUFMOS11C0385C. doi:10.1038/425365a. PMID 14508477.
3) Millero, Frank J. (1995). "Thermodynamics of the carbon dioxide system in the oceans". Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 59 (4): 661–677. Bibcode:1995GeCoA..59..661M. doi:10.1016/0016-7037(94)00354-O.
4) Feely, R. A.; et al. (July 2004). "Impact of Anthropogenic CO2 on the CaCO3 System in the Oceans". Science 305 (5682): 362–366. Bibcode:2004Sci...305..362F. doi:10.1126/science.1097329. PMID 15256664.
5) Jacobson, M. Z. (2005). "Studying ocean acidification with conservative, stable numerical schemes for nonequilibrium air-ocean exchange and ocean equilibrium chemistry". Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 110: D07302. Bibcode:2005JGRD..11007302J. doi:10.1029/2004JD005220.
6) Hall-Spencer, J. M.; Rodolfo-Metalpa, R.; Martin, S.; et al. (July 2008). "Volcanic carbon dioxide vents show ecosystem effects of ocean acidification". Nature 454 (7200): 96–9. Bibcode:2008Natur.454...96H. doi:10.1038/nature07051. PMID 18536730.
7) Report of the Ocean Acidification and Oxygen Working Group, International Council for Science's Scientific Committee on Ocean Research (SCOR) Biological Observatories Workshop
8) Mora, C (2013). "The projected timing of climate departure from recent variability". Nature 502: 183–187. doi:10.1038/nature12540.
9) Mora, C. et al. (2013). "Biotic and Human Vulnerability to Projected Changes in Ocean Biogeochemistry over the 21st Century". PLoS Biology 11: e1001682. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001682.
10) Orr, James C.; et al. (2005). "Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organisms". Nature 437 (7059): 681–686. Bibcode:2005Natur.437..681O. doi:10.1038/nature04095. PMID 16193043. Archived from the original on 2008-06-25.
11) Cornelia Dean (January 30, 2009). "Rising Acidity Is Threatening Food Web of Oceans, Science Panel Says". New York Times.
12) Robert E. Service (13 July 2012). "Rising Acidity Brings and Ocean Of Trouble". Science 337 (6091): 146–148. Bibcode:2012Sci...337..146S. doi:10.1126/science.337.6091.146. PMID 22798578.
13) IAP (June 2009). "Interacademy Panel (IAP) Member Academies Statement on Ocean Acidification"., Secretariat: TWAS (the Academy of Sciences for the Developing World), Trieste, Italy.
14) Zachos, J.C.; Röhl, U.; Schellenberg, S.A.; Sluijs, A.; Hodell, D.A.; Kelly, D.C.; Thomas, E.; Nicolo, M.; Raffi, I.; Lourens, L. J.; McCarren, H.; Kroon, D. (2005). "Rapid acidification of the ocean during the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum". Science 308 (5728): 1611–1615. doi:10.1126/science.1109004. PMID 15947184.

How about this instead Frank?

Ocean acidification is the ongoing decrease in the pH of the Earth's oceans, caused by the uptake of carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.[2] An estimated 30–40% of the carbon dioxide released by humans into the atmosphere dissolves into oceans, rivers and lakes.[3][4] To achieve chemical equilibrium, some of it reacts with the water to form carbonic acid. Some of these extra carbonic acid molecules react with a water molecule to give a bicarbonate ion and a hydronium ion, thus increasing ocean "acidity" (H+ ion concentration). Between 1751 and 1994 surface ocean pH is estimated to have decreased from approximately 8.25 to 8.14,[5] representing an increase of almost 30% in H+ ion concentration in the world's oceans.[6][7] Available Earth System Models project that within the last decade ocean pH exceeded historical analogs [8] and in combination with other ocean biogeochemical changes could undermine the functioning of marine ecosystems and many ocean goods and services.[9]

Increasing acidity is thought to have a range of possibly harmful consequences, such as depressing metabolic rate and immune response in some organisms, and causing coral bleaching.

Other chemical reactions are triggered which result in a net decrease in the amount of carbonate ions available. This makes it more difficult for marine calcifying organisms, such as coral and some plankton, to form biogenic calcium carbonate, and such structures become vulnerable to dissolution.[10] Ongoing acidification of the oceans threatens food chains connected with the oceans.[11][12] As members of the InterAcademy Panel, 105 science academies have issued a statement on ocean acidification recommending that by 2050, global CO2 emissions be reduced by at least 50% compared to the 1990 level.[13]

Ocean acidification has occurred previously in Earth's history. The most notable example is the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM),[14] which occurred approximately 56 million years ago. For reasons that are currently uncertain, massive amounts of carbon entered the ocean and atmosphere, and led to the dissolution of carbonate sediments in all ocean basins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

REFERENCES
1) Feely et al. - Evidence for upwelling of corrosive "acidified" water onto the Continental Shel". pmel.noaa.gov. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
2) Caldeira, K.; Wickett, M. E. (2003). "Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH". Nature 425 (6956): 365–365. Bibcode:2001AGUFMOS11C0385C. doi:10.1038/425365a. PMID 14508477.
3) Millero, Frank J. (1995). "Thermodynamics of the carbon dioxide system in the oceans". Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 59 (4): 661–677. Bibcode:1995GeCoA..59..661M. doi:10.1016/0016-7037(94)00354-O.
4) Feely, R. A.; et al. (July 2004). "Impact of Anthropogenic CO2 on the CaCO3 System in the Oceans". Science 305 (5682): 362–366. Bibcode:2004Sci...305..362F. doi:10.1126/science.1097329. PMID 15256664.
5) Jacobson, M. Z. (2005). "Studying ocean acidification with conservative, stable numerical schemes for nonequilibrium air-ocean exchange and ocean equilibrium chemistry". Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 110: D07302. Bibcode:2005JGRD..11007302J. doi:10.1029/2004JD005220.
6) Hall-Spencer, J. M.; Rodolfo-Metalpa, R.; Martin, S.; et al. (July 2008). "Volcanic carbon dioxide vents show ecosystem effects of ocean acidification". Nature 454 (7200): 96–9. Bibcode:2008Natur.454...96H. doi:10.1038/nature07051. PMID 18536730.
7) Report of the Ocean Acidification and Oxygen Working Group, International Council for Science's Scientific Committee on Ocean Research (SCOR) Biological Observatories Workshop
8) Mora, C (2013). "The projected timing of climate departure from recent variability". Nature 502: 183–187. doi:10.1038/nature12540.
9) Mora, C. et al. (2013). "Biotic and Human Vulnerability to Projected Changes in Ocean Biogeochemistry over the 21st Century". PLoS Biology 11: e1001682. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001682.
10) Orr, James C.; et al. (2005). "Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organisms". Nature 437 (7059): 681–686. Bibcode:2005Natur.437..681O. doi:10.1038/nature04095. PMID 16193043. Archived from the original on 2008-06-25.
11) Cornelia Dean (January 30, 2009). "Rising Acidity Is Threatening Food Web of Oceans, Science Panel Says". New York Times.
12) Robert E. Service (13 July 2012). "Rising Acidity Brings and Ocean Of Trouble". Science 337 (6091): 146–148. Bibcode:2012Sci...337..146S. doi:10.1126/science.337.6091.146. PMID 22798578.
13) IAP (June 2009). "Interacademy Panel (IAP) Member Academies Statement on Ocean Acidification"., Secretariat: TWAS (the Academy of Sciences for the Developing World), Trieste, Italy.
14) Zachos, J.C.; Röhl, U.; Schellenberg, S.A.; Sluijs, A.; Hodell, D.A.; Kelly, D.C.; Thomas, E.; Nicolo, M.; Raffi, I.; Lourens, L. J.; McCarren, H.; Kroon, D. (2005). "Rapid acidification of the ocean during the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum". Science 308 (5728): 1611–1615. doi:10.1126/science.1109004. PMID 15947184.

Instead of what, instead of you addressing the physical impossibility of CO2 acidifying a 1 *10^21 volume of water

Tell him about the oysters up in the Pacific Northwest

Been there. Done that.. NOAA tried their damndest to kill baby oysters with CO2 and failed badly... This whole argument is kinda like that..

Forum List

Back