Of Sheep, Sheepdogs, Shepherds and Wolves

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
By Ebben Raves
March 22, 2013

The sheep, or as many call them, the sheeple, are content to graze in the pasture of television and newspapers, living their lives without a care in the world. Some are true believers, biting at every sprig of lusciously painted foliage offered. Most, however, are satisfied with the sustenance their current enclosure provides them. Cyprus? Drones? It doesn't matter to them; they go on with their lives oblivious to the world around them as long as they have March Madness and Honey Boo-Boo. Since they obey the law, why should they care? Surely, the government is here to protect them. They're good citizens. In fact, the government is supposed to take care of them, isn't it?

Enter the sheepdogs -- armed servants whose job is to protect the sheep from the wolves. Most, if not all, would acclaim that they are noble creatures. After all, they are the ones laying their lives on the line to protect the defenseless. Noble creatures, indeed -- it does take a special kind of individual to go into harm's way. Never question the sheepdog, though, for they are the only ones keeping the wolves at bay. They are the protectors of the sheep. This has been drilled into the minds of everyone who has been in that role, myself included. But, are they? Who do they really protect?

The wolves? Why, they're who the shepherd says they are, of course.

Read more:
Blog: Of Sheep, Sheepdogs, Shepherds and Wolves

The shepherd could just let the wolves among the sheep assuming they have a peaceful purpose and see how that works out. The shepherd could just stop making the decision of who is a wolf and who is a sheepdog.

This is the way the fable goes.

The sheep spend their lives in the meadow peacefully eating their grass, not bothering anyone. In the forest the wolves wait for a stupid sheep, a fat sheep that can't run very fast. A sheep that has strayed, one that isn't paying attention and upwind from the wolves.

Keeping watch over the sheep are the sheepdogs. They look like wolves. They have sharp teeth, they growl, they pounce. The sheep don't have sharp teeth, they cannot fight the wolves. Only the sheepdogs can do that. No matter how scary the sheepdogs are, they are all that stands between the sheep and the wolves. The sheep don't trust the sheepdogs not with those teeth. If attacked by a pack, not even a shepherd could save them. The wolves are the only ones capable of fighting off the wolves. If a wolf wrapped himself in a sheep pelt, the shepherd would be fooled. The nose of the sheepdog would never be fooled. The shepherd thinking he was helping his flock would let the wolves among them.

Like it or not the sheep depend on the vigilance of the sheepdog.

It would be different if the sheep could fight off the wolves themselves. A flock is many times bigger than a pack of wolves. A wolf will leave the coyotes alone. If the sheep had sharp teeth of their own, the wolves would not attack them. There would be no need of sheepdogs.

By Ebben Raves
March 22, 2013

The sheep, or as many call them, the sheeple, are content to graze in the pasture of television and newspapers, living their lives without a care in the world. Some are true believers, biting at every sprig of lusciously painted foliage offered. Most, however, are satisfied with the sustenance their current enclosure provides them. Cyprus? Drones? It doesn't matter to them; they go on with their lives oblivious to the world around them as long as they have March Madness and Honey Boo-Boo. Since they obey the law, why should they care? Surely, the government is here to protect them. They're good citizens. In fact, the government is supposed to take care of them, isn't it?

Enter the sheepdogs -- armed servants whose job is to protect the sheep from the wolves. Most, if not all, would acclaim that they are noble creatures. After all, they are the ones laying their lives on the line to protect the defenseless. Noble creatures, indeed -- it does take a special kind of individual to go into harm's way. Never question the sheepdog, though, for they are the only ones keeping the wolves at bay. They are the protectors of the sheep. This has been drilled into the minds of everyone who has been in that role, myself included. But, are they? Who do they really protect?

The wolves? Why, they're who the shepherd says they are, of course.

Read more:
Blog: Of Sheep, Sheepdogs, Shepherds and Wolves

The only problem with that analogy is that sheepdogs don't protect the sheep...they are simply more sophisticated predators under the shepherd's control. They move the sheep from place to place at the direction of the shepherd...it's the ass that guards the flock ;)

donkey_shepherd_1wtmk.jpg

Upon hearing the news of the shooting yesterday at the University of Texas, I remembered an article I read a year or so ago. Enjoy the read and post comments if you feel so inclined.​

By LTC (RET) Dave Grossman, author of "On Killing."
September 29, 2010

Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age. It does so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble and worthy things that deserve defending, even if it comes at a high cost. In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn, hardship, persecution, or as always,even death itself. The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for? - William J. Bennett - in a lecture to the United States Naval Academy November 24, 1997

One Vietnam veteran, an old retired colonel, once said this to me:
"Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident." This is true. Remember, the murder rate is six per 100,000 per year, and the aggravated assault rate is four per 1,000 per year. What this means is that the vast majority of Americans are not inclined to hurt one another.​

Some estimates say that two million Americans are victims of violent crimes every year, a tragic, staggering number, perhaps an all-time record rate of violent crime. But there are almost 300 million Americans, which means that the odds of being a victim of violent crime is considerably less than one in a hundred on any given year. Furthermore, since many violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders, the actual number of violent citizens is considerably less than two million.

Thus there is a paradox, and we must grasp both ends of the situation: We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy." Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard, and so they chose the path of denial.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, "Baa."

Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
THE PROJECT: Sheep, Wolf or Sheepdog... What are you?

Just remember, before Man came along and domesticated them, sheep had sharp horns and had learned how to defend themselves from predators.

In other words, the sheep-like outlook of low information voters is a learned trait that comes from being coddled.

is

"Oh little gnome of plastic
That sits outside my home
In my yard you sit so well
With flamingos made of foam

When night falls and darkness comes
I feel safe inside my home
Knowing that you're right outside
My little plastic gnome."
Garten-Zwerge e.V.

Sheep Score Rules.. play it fairly, don’t look until the end..
◾(a) = 1 point,
◾(b) = 2 points
◾(c) = (minus) 1 point
◾(d) = zero points

Ok then we are off..

Question 1. Does your government always tell the truth?
◾a) I think so?
◾b) Of course!
◾c) Are you kiddin me?
◾d) Only when it suits them

Question 2 – Do you personally own any Gold or Silver?
◾(a) No but I heard it was going up, and was thinking about getting some
◾(b) Haha are you mad? – no, it’s a crazy bubble.
◾(c) Yes I’ve been buying physical for years
◾(d) Not actual metals, but some of the paper investment funds

Question 3 – Is the economy recovering after the problems in 2008 / 2009?
◾(a) Well it’s not great, but I think hopefully the worst has passed.
◾(b) Yes, the stock market is up, green shoots are showing, everything looks good (buy Apple shares)
◾(c) No way, they just put off taking the pain, the real crisis is still coming
◾(d) Who cares? what time’s the game on?

Question 4 – What do you think about “Banking” as an industry?
◾(a) Bankers bonuses are too big and they need more regulation to stop problems
◾(b) The banks perform a necessary service for society, and governments need to stop them failing
◾(c) Max Keiser is correct, they should be hung, where’s my pitchfork got to?
◾(d) There seems to be rampant fraud, people need to go to jail for it.

Question 5 – Ron Paul is:
◾(a) That kooky guy who is always there but never achieves anything
◾(b) The lone nutter in Congress, what a fruitloop.
◾(c) The lone voice of reason for the last 30 years, the USA’s best hope.
◾(d) Who?

Ok, potential sheeples, add up your scores & scroll down.

Five to Ten Points – Full Blown SHEEPLE Alert.

You won’t listen and thus are beyond help, you think people who talk ill of the Fed are “conspiracy nuts” and so unfortunately nothing can save you from your destiny. You probably even think this is air, we are breathing, in this place? :)

Read more:
American Sheeple Quiz - Are You A Sheeple? Take the Red Pill Sheeple Quiz

Just remember, before Man came along and domesticated them, sheep had sharp horns and had learned how to defend themselves from predators.

In other words, the sheep-like outlook of low information voters is a learned trait that comes from being coddled.

is

No high school would need armed guards if being horny made you safe.

Forum List

Back