Officer Fired After Posting Photo Of Himself In Confederate Flag Boxer Shorts On Facebook

So much for the 1st Amendment.
That you think this is a first amndment issue speaks to your lack of understanding of the first amendment

Of course it is a first amendment issue.

Are the police part of the government?

Is this officer, on his own time and on his own private facebook page, exercising his right to freely express himself?

Did the government not punish that expression of free speech by firing the officer?

Couldn't be more clear cut.
He's identified with the police force. He does not get to say or do whatever he wants wherever he wants withoit it reflecting on the police force.

But if it makes you feel better he won't be arrested

So much for the 1st Amendment.
That you think this is a first amndment issue speaks to your lack of understanding of the first amendment

Of course it is a first amendment issue.

Are the police part of the government?

Is this officer, on his own time and on his own private facebook page, exercising his right to freely express himself?

Did the government not punish that expression of free speech by firing the officer?

Couldn't be more clear cut.
He's identified with the police force. He does not get to say or do whatever he wants wherever he wants withoit it reflecting on the police force.

But if it makes you feel better he won't be arrested

If this was a private business, that argument would be valid, but the Government cannot take punitive action against free expression...that's a violation of the officers First Amendment rights.

So its my understanding that the confederate flag is being labeled trash because that church shooter guy had one in some way. So what if he did? Why should it be labeled bad when plenty of other people have one? Does this mean that everything else that the dude was in favor of will soon be labeled the scum of the earth as well? Because if it does, that isn't fair to those who like the stuff as well, not to mention those who are responsible for the stuff being out there at all to begin with. Should his favorite singer, actor, author, etc. get prepared for a nose dive too when they most definitely had nothing to do with his choice of action?

God bless you and them and this officer always!!!

Holly
Your understanding is wrong. Oh, and hahahahaaaaah
I don't know why you are laughing. I actually do not own anything that has the confederate flag on it, but if other people want to have it, it is their right to have it.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Yea this ones a bit of a tough call legally. We do tend to hold officers and government officials to a higher standard than regular citizens, and that is what the police department has done here. While I do think that the officer has a right to believe as he wishes and express those beliefs, there is also the matter of a (right or wrongly) formed opinion that the police (or other government institution) supports what some view as representative of a racist agenda.

My gut reaction, to be honest, is that the officer crossed the line, not necessarily for his personal beliefs which he's free to have, but for the public's view of it and ability to connect it to the police department... Kind of like a school teacher posting they think the age of maturity for sexual consent is too low in the US.

Being fired for wearing clothing displaying a symbol the is still prominently displayed on statehouse grounds does look like grounds for a very winnable lawsuit. Unless I've missed the news, the flag hasn't been taken down yet.

Maybe that cop can become a rapper like these guys:

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 97
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 105
Being fired for wearing clothing displaying a symbol the is still prominently displayed on statehouse grounds does look like grounds for a very winnable lawsuit. Unless I've missed the news, the flag hasn't been taken down yet.

No it hasnt. Hes a moron for doing that. Unless he did it on purpose to get in trouble...and thus sue. Which if true...is brilliant.

Maybe that cop can become a rapper like these guys:

While I can see, and even recognize, that as a valid point, the fact remains that rappers aren't "officials" who are supposed to represent "government ideals" so it's a bit moot heh

Regardless of if said person acted upon their desire or not, would we in America accept a Japanese teacher who comes from a culture where 13 is the age of consent and admitted that he found girls that young attractive?

So apparently this is how you have to get a cop fired. If he had beaten the shit out of or even killed an unarmed black man he'd have been given a paid vacation while an internal investigation was conducted to ultimately determine he acted appropriately, but damn, no cop better post a photo of them self in confederate boxers. That's a far more egregious sin.

Officer Fired After Posting Photo Of Himself In Confederate Flag Boxer Shorts On Facebook CBS Atlanta
That's just ridiculous

So its my understanding that the confederate flag is being labeled trash because that church shooter guy had one in some way. So what if he did? Why should it be labeled bad when plenty of other people have one? Does this mean that everything else that the dude was in favor of will soon be labeled the scum of the earth as well? Because if it does, that isn't fair to those who like the stuff as well, not to mention those who are responsible for the stuff being out there at all to begin with. Should his favorite singer, actor, author, etc. get prepared for a nose dive too when they most definitely had nothing to do with his choice of action?

God bless you and them and this officer always!!!

Holly

Why should it be labeled bad when plenty of other people have one?
Because when it comes to the idiot progressives, no matter what they deem offensive they expect others to follow suit and just go along with it. :cuckoo:

So apparently this is how you have to get a cop fired. If he had beaten the shit out of or even killed an unarmed black man he'd have been given a paid vacation while an internal investigation was conducted to ultimately determine he acted appropriately, but damn, no cop better post a photo of them self in confederate boxers. That's a far more egregious sin.

Officer Fired After Posting Photo Of Himself In Confederate Flag Boxer Shorts On Facebook CBS Atlanta

The firing of that officer for the reason given is stupid. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back