Ohio school sorry for making black student 'slave'

If they were re-enacting some type of history lesson about slavery (which it seems they were) . . . . how doesn't this make sense? Blacks were slaves and there were black slave owners. All the kids were included in the lesson.

It seems to me it would be a wonderful opportunity for the teacher to teach the children how wrong slavery was and how no one race is better or worse than another.

Yeah but its still in poor taste, whats next? simulating a fake holocauste and putting children in mock mass graves and mock ovens? sometimes people just need to draw the line, you can still teach about slavery without reliving it.

I am really surprised they let you do that in school, that never went on in any of the schools I went to.

Our teachers were an odd mix, with what I would later think, had limited teaching creds.

Out math teacher was an archetech (-1sp) and we learned math by learning how to build.
most of the teachers were nuns. And I don't mean; hot virginal nuns, I mean; carried a wooden pointer like a samuri, kinda nuns.

Out history teacher, who did the auction, was a bit of an activist type. It all had "deeper meaning" and she wouldn't relent until we got the "deeper meaning". So after trying to explain the highs and lows of slavery (yes, she covered the highs), we had a mock debate, hand to god, 1/2 of us had to agrue the pros of slavery. That quickly desended into shouting matches, after she had to egg on the pro side. So she had the brilliant idea of a mock auction, complete with ropes to bind and a whip.

couple days later a nun was teaching history class. We were told the teacher took a job elsewhere. It was a nun, so we beleived her.

If they were re-enacting some type of history lesson about slavery (which it seems they were) . . . . how doesn't this make sense? Blacks were slaves and there were black slave owners. All the kids were included in the lesson.

It seems to me it would be a wonderful opportunity for the teacher to teach the children how wrong slavery was and how no one race is better or worse than another.

Yeah but its still in poor taste, whats next? simulating a fake holocauste and putting children in mock mass graves and mock ovens? sometimes people just need to draw the line, you can still teach about slavery without reliving it.

I didn't say you couldn't; but perhaps enacting it would resonate better and a better understanding of 'equality' would be learned.

Were the black kids the only ones who were designated 'slave' and 'master'? I got the impression that the entire class participated.

Teachers try to make social science come alive and sometimes they fail miserably.

This embroglio reminds me of the time I tried to get kids to understand how little it mattered to the peasants of Cuba when it became independent from Spain.

I think the mother was right to support her son refusing to play along.

I don't especially fault the teacher, but it does strike me as a dumb teaching plan.

I didn't say you couldn't; but perhaps enacting it would resonate better and a better understanding of 'equality' would be learned.

Were the black kids the only ones who were designated 'slave' and 'master'? I got the impression that the entire class participated.

Still the kids who are not black obviously are not going to feel the same about it as the ones who are, whats next? simulating lynching? cross burning?

I am really surprised they let you do that in school, that never went on in any of the schools I went to.

Our teachers were an odd mix, with what I would later think, had limited teaching creds.

Out math teacher was an archetech (-1sp) and we learned math by learning how to build.
most of the teachers were nuns. And I don't mean; hot virginal nuns, I mean; carried a wooden pointer like a samuri, kinda nuns.

Out history teacher, who did the auction, was a bit of an activist type. It all had "deeper meaning" and she wouldn't relent until we got the "deeper meaning". So after trying to explain the highs and lows of slavery (yes, she covered the highs), we had a mock debate, hand to god, 1/2 of us had to agrue the pros of slavery. That quickly desended into shouting matches, after she had to egg on the pro side. So she had the brilliant idea of a mock auction, complete with ropes to bind and a whip.

couple days later a nun was teaching history class. We were told the teacher took a job elsewhere. It was a nun, so we beleived her.

I'm curious about the demographics of your class, because if this happened in Kansas City where I went to school this would have damn near started a riot.

I'm curious about the demographics of your class, because if this happened in Kansas City where I went to school this would have damn near started a riot.

8th grade was 3 boys and 5 girls
7th grade was 7 boys no girls

We were all white, but everyone thought I was Mexican.
It was a Catholic school, most American catholics are white, so that shouldn't be a shocker.

It was a Catholic school, most American catholics are white, so that shouldn't be a shocker.

Wow thats really small classrooms, that good or bad?

Wow thats really small classrooms, that good or bad?

Considering how good my grades were, it was great.
Considering we had 4th graders on our Jr HS basketball team to have enough players....

lol

I just remembered "Chuck". He was Korean, and none of us could pronounce his name, so we called him Chuck. He was one of our forwards, not b/c he dominated the paint, but b/c he was 3' 6" and couldn't shoot the ball more than 3' from the hoop. He was our teams leading scorer. Partly b/c he was a great shooter and partly b/c no one wanted to be the jackass the stuffed the little kid. :lol:

Still the kids who are not black obviously are not going to feel the same about it as the ones who are, whats next? simulating lynching? cross burning?

You are assuming a modern-day black kid will automatically know how it feels to have been a slave. I don't. It's distant enough history that any modern day person would have a hard time really imagining it or fully understanding it, especially kids, imo. YVMV Maybe the point of the lesson was simply to try and get all the kids better understand those times. I think the mother crying sensitivity is pc nonsense. Blacks were slaves in the U.S., there were black slave owners and white slave owners and to me it seems as if the teacher was just trying to teach the lesson in a different way. I wonder if both black kids had been master would the mother have objected?

Simulated lynching? Cross burning? None of that was included, nor should it be. How'd you go to there? It was a simulated slave auction. There isn't much to the story but from what I read, all the students participated. Some were slaves, some were masters (maybe they switched half-way through, don't know).

You are assuming a modern-day black kid will automatically know how it feels to have been a slave. I don't. It's distant enough history that any modern day person would have a hard time really imagining it or fully understanding it, especially kids, imo. YVMV Maybe the point of the lesson was simply to try and get all the kids better understand those times. I think the mother crying sensitivity is pc nonsense. Blacks were slaves in the U.S., there were black slave owners and white slave owners and to me it seems as if the teacher was just trying to teach the lesson in a different way. I wonder if both black kids had been master would the mother have objected?

Simulated lynching? Cross burning? None of that was included, nor should it be. How'd you go to there? It was a simulated slave auction. There isn't much to the story but from what I read, all the students participated. Some were slaves, some were masters (maybe they switched half-way through, don't know).

The holocaust happened decades ago, but people are still offended by it. Native Americans are still pissed about being wiped out hundreds of years ago. Doing a mock slave auction in general is in poor taste regardless of the races of the children, obviously someone took offense to this if the school is apologizing.

The students will remember much much better if they just read the textbook.

I disagree.

At a more mature age, I think this can be better understood through action.

Doing it with 10 y/o is friggen ignorant.

Yup.

We never did this kind of thing though. And if it was really like a slave auction, wouldn't there be the masters literally inspecting and poking around in the gums and teeth of the slaves, and like the fat kids wouldn't get sold at all? I can't imagine that flying in a school. :eusa_eh:

The students will remember much much better if they just read the textbook.

I disagree.

Yup.

We never did this kind of thing though. And if it was really like a slave auction, wouldn't there be the masters literally inspecting and poking around in the gums and teeth of the slaves, and like the fat kids wouldn't get sold at all? I can't imagine that flying in a school. :eusa_eh:

Let me say this. After our mock auction, I was pissed that I was unable to knock any teeth out, and not from a lack of trying, nor was I the only one.

It was mock and it was ugly.

I disagree.

Yup.

Let me say this. After our mock auction, I was pissed that I was unable to knock any teeth out, and not from a lack of trying, nor was I the only one.

Thats what I'm saying, imagine a white teacher trying to pull that in a majority black inner city school, it would have been a royal rumble.

Yup.

Thats what I'm saying, imagine a white teacher trying to pull that in a majority black inner city school, it would have been a royal rumble.

I imagine if it was planned ahead, everyone including the parents knew what was going to happen AND they used volunteers.

I think everyone could understand and use it as a learning moment.

but if it's an "Ok class, today were are going to...."

I imagine if it was planned ahead, everyone including the parents knew what was going to happen AND they used volunteers.

Hmmm I wouldn't have been ok with it, if you start going down this road whats next? mock holocaust exercises with some kids as Jews and some as Nazis?

Hmmm I wouldn't have been ok with it, if you start going down this road whats next? mock holocaust exercises with some kids as Jews and some as Nazis?

Why not?

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Also if it's volunteer, they could make attendance voluntary, with the kids that stay getting extra credit, or something.

Take the holocost. All most know are the pics, the body count and how they were killed.

Saw a special last year with a survivor that worked in one. After they gased a group of jews, he pulled out a living baby, someone lifted it above the gas level. He took the baby to a German officer and said "Look, it's a miracle!" The officer then pulled his pistol and shot the baby in the head.

I think that's something worth telling and remembering. If re-enactment helps..

Why not?

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Also if it's volunteer, they could make attendance voluntary, with the kids that stay getting extra credit, or something.

Take the holocost. All most know are the pics, the body count and how they were killed.

Saw a special last year with a survivor that worked in one. After they gased a group of jews, he pulled out a living baby, someone lifted it above the gas level. He took the baby to a German officer and said "Look, it's a miracle!" The officer then pulled his pistol and shot the baby in the head.

I think that's something worth telling and remembering. If re-enactment helps..

I don't like it because kids don't take anything seriously, the kids would make fun of the Jews and make a joke out of it, same thing with slave auctions. Kids don't give a fuck about any of that, all you can do is teach them about it and hope it got through to their thick skulls.

Did the parents know ahead of time? I still think it could be a valuable way to get through to kids to show them how wrong slavery was. And I'm certainly not keen on one person being offended and hollering about it and gets whole thing yanked. Did any other parents complain about it?

Did the parents know ahead of time? I still think it could be a valuable way to get through to kids to show them how wrong slavery was. And I'm certainly not keen on one person being offended and hollering about it and gets whole thing yanked. Did any other parents complain about it?

All it takes is 1 person to be offended and theres a law suit, the schools are broke so they can't afford to do shit like this anymore.

Forum List

Back