Olympic 2016 : News & Discussion

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
India started 2016 Olympic with a victory over Ireland in hockey.

---

_90697916_hartegoal.jpg

Ireland suffered a 3-2 defeat by India in their opening Pool B game at the Olympic Games in Rio on Saturday.

All five goals came from penalty corner moves, starting with Raghunath Vokkaliga firing the fifth-ranked Indians ahead in the first quarter.

Rupinder Pal Singh made it 2-0 before John Jermyn pulled one back for the Irish, who were making their first Games hockey appearance in 108 years.

Singh netted again before Conor Harte volleyed in with five minutes left.

Rio 2016: Ireland beaten by India in Games opener

The oympics is a nonstop borefest. I wish they would cancel the whole thing forever.

The oympics is a nonstop borefest. I wish they would cancel the whole thing forever.

There is a very strong desire among certain countries to show off during Olympic. This has introduced quite a bit of corruption in the Olympic which is supposed to be a celebration of human spirit. However, I am glad that vast majority of countries (e.g. India) do not go overboard.

Bring it On!

This is where women's sports has a great chance of creating high spirits for televised sports. People are less concerned with politics, grandstanding, steroids (etc.) with women's sports, which is why I'll be following Olympic events such as women's fencing and women's field hockey.

India used to be a titan in men's field hockey.

Does ANYONE have a chance of challenging the US men's basketball team? Coach K is going after his 3rd straight gold medal...

dc.jpg

India still holds the Olympic record in men's hockey with 8 gold medals in this sport.

As far as women's sports is concerned, they get quite heated as well from time to time. Some of the examples are Nancy Kerrigan vs Tonya Harding, Russian figure skaters vs Canadian figure skaters during winter Olympic in Utah, etc.

The countries that spend the most get the most medals. Its not a sporting contest any more. Its about who has the most money.

The countries that spend the most get the most medals. Its not a sporting contest any more. Its about who has the most money.

Judging in some of these sports like diving, gymnastic, etc. is very subjective and is full of politics and corruption. For some countries, some of these very sports have become a means to pile up medals to satisfy their ego trip.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

India started 2016 Olympic with a victory over Ireland in hockey.

---

_90697916_hartegoal.jpg

Ireland suffered a 3-2 defeat by India in their opening Pool B game at the Olympic Games in Rio on Saturday.

All five goals came from penalty corner moves, starting with Raghunath Vokkaliga firing the fifth-ranked Indians ahead in the first quarter.

Rupinder Pal Singh made it 2-0 before John Jermyn pulled one back for the Irish, who were making their first Games hockey appearance in 108 years.

Singh netted again before Conor Harte volleyed in with five minutes left.

Rio 2016: Ireland beaten by India in Games opener

I'm from Canada / USA and I am from the land of many sports. This intrigues me. Always has. Good show India!

Judging in some of these sports like diving, gymnastic, etc. is very subjective and is full of politics and corruption. For some countries, some of these very sports have become a means to pile up medals to satisfy their ego trip.

Oh try the winter olympics for corruption. :) But I love the competitors. They are the heart and soul of it all.

Whoa there! I live among curling greats. Hahahahaha. But grew up among hockey legends. I have learned that if you slow down enough, curling is like hockey on ludes.

Oh try the winter olympics for corruption. :) But I love the competitors. They are the heart and soul of it all.

Russian gymnasts are one of my favorites.

Russian gymnasts are one of my favorites.

Yes. Oh my. I live in a corner of the universe that has neither cable nor high speed. And don't pity me. I still get things done and love where I live.

I had to tell you that because now I can only see stills. But now sometimes when you catch these beautiful beasts mid air for example you understand the joy of their physical spirit.

Bless their souls for putting their heart and their life for their sports and their countries. Hey I'm from the world and yes we donated to the Jamaican bobsledding team. They weren't Canucks or US but I loved these guys.

Cool runnings. They were awesome.

The opening ceremony was great. Brazil certainly did their own thing. Some of the sights were spectacular, the people jumping building top to building top in the middle of the stadium was like 'how in hell are they doing that'. And the device that rotated behind the lit torch was over the top.

I love the Olympics. I think the biggest downer that has happened is the introduction of professional athletes rather than just unknown young people. Who cares who wins basketball now. Things like the 1980 men's hockey team miracle can't happen now. There was something completely American about our college students taking on the world and winning. Again, who cares if pro hockey players do it. All these moments that have been stolen from the youth of the country and handed to pros that are already wealthy, half of whom could careless about being there.

In any case I watch all the sports with unknown athletes. Biking, archery, running. The bike race earlier was damn awesome.

Last edited:
^ Well, if you do not allow professional athletes then you are not really awarding the medals to real bests. So I think there are two sides to this issue.

On a separate note, I would like to see Kabaddi becoming an Olympic sport.

The whole idea of the Olympics, I mean the original Olympics 2,000 + years ago, was a friendly competition between the youth of nations. This is and should be for the young. I think no one over 40 should even be allowed in.

It's their moment, let them have it. Adults tend to ruin everything pure sooner or later.

^ I disagree. Nothing demonstrates better the triumph of human spirit when someone over 40 wins a medal against much younger contenders. This shows that human aspiration is not bound by age. Besides, what is young is a subjective classification anyway.

India archery Live, Rio 2016 Olympics: India through to quarter-final after beating Colombia 5-3

India women’s team faced tough opposition from Colombia in the 1/8 Elimination round of the women’s recurve archery event but eventually came out on top to set up a quarterfinal contest with Russia. The final scoreline read 5-3 in India’s favour with the contest coming down to the final set and even the last two arrows.

India archery Live, Rio 2016 Olympics: India through to quarter-final after beating Colombia 5-3

My own favorite Olympic sports which I do are archery and swordfencing.

So those are the two I most like to watch.

Forum List

Back