Olympic Summer 2024 Imane Khelif has always defined herself as a woman. Who cares what J.K. Rowling and Elon Musk have to say.

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008
The Shameful Controversy Over Olympic Boxer Imane Khelif

Imane Khelif has always defined herself as a woman, and has every right to compete—no matter what J.K. Rowling and Elon Musk have to say about it.

Algerian boxer Imane Khelif won her first match of the 2024 Paris Olympics when her opponent, Angela Carini of Italy, quit after taking several blows to the face in the opening seconds of the bout. The victory only fueled the misguided controversy around Khelif, who has been targeted by critics who have misgendered her throughout the Games.

Born in 1999 in Tiaret, Algeria, Khelif has been boxing since she was a child and has always competed in women's categories. In her career, she competed in the Women's World Boxing Championships in New Delhi in 2018 (finishing in 17th place), then competed in Russia the following year. She competed in the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, reaching all the way to the quarterfinals, and she finished second in the 2022 Women's World Championships in Istanbul.

Everything seemed to be running smoothly until the 2023 World Cup, organized by the International Boxing Association. The Russia-led IBA, which is not recognized by the International Olympic Committee, disqualified Khelif after a gender eligibility test allegedly found she has XY chromosomes. IBA president Umar Kremlev has said that both Khelif and Taiwanese boxer Lin Yu-ting, who allegedly had a similar test result, “were trying to deceive their colleagues and pretend to be women.” Khelif has contested the allegations.

I'm new to this controversy. Seen it in headlines and on thread titles here. Something piqued my interest and I delved into this article. Interesting facts that counter many narratives here and elsewhere. I guess most of the people that are upset or attacking this individual, are all in on Group Think.

Imane Khelif has always defined herself as a woman, and has every right to compete—no matter what J.K. Rowling and Elon Musk have to say about it.

Algerian boxer Imane Khelif won her first match of the 2024 Paris Olympics when her opponent, Angela Carini of Italy, quit after taking several blows to the face in the opening seconds of the bout. The victory only fueled the misguided controversy around Khelif, who has been targeted by critics who have misgendered her throughout the Games.

Born in 1999 in Tiaret, Algeria, Khelif has been boxing since she was a child and has always competed in women's categories. In her career, she competed in the Women's World Boxing Championships in New Delhi in 2018 (finishing in 17th place), then competed in Russia the following year. She competed in the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, reaching all the way to the quarterfinals, and she finished second in the 2022 Women's World Championships in Istanbul.

Everything seemed to be running smoothly until the 2023 World Cup, organized by the International Boxing Association. The Russia-led IBA, which is not recognized by the International Olympic Committee, disqualified Khelif after a gender eligibility test allegedly found she has XY chromosomes. IBA president Umar Kremlev has said that both Khelif and Taiwanese boxer Lin Yu-ting, who allegedly had a similar test result, “were trying to deceive their colleagues and pretend to be women.” Khelif has contested the allegations.

I'm new to this controversy. Seen it in headlines and on thread titles here. Something piqued my interest and I delved into this article. Interesting facts that counter many narratives here and elsewhere. I guess most of the people that are upset or attacking this individual, are all in on Group Think.

I'm not sure this clarifies much, we have people walking around who identify as a potato.

Not being a biologist, what I recall learning is school is that a Y chromosome is reserved for the male gender. Now, maybe she or he has a unique circumstance, but how are the olympics to differentiate between the biological makeup of someone and their chromosomes?

Y chromosome is used in the development of the male features. Strength, lower fat etc. So I presume she has an advantage similar or worse than someone who juices.

If she had been a trans Algeria would have either locked her away in a prison to rot or execute her. The olympic committee now says she's a woman and trans.

I'm not sure this clarifies much, we have people walking around who identify as a potato.

Not being a biologist, what I recall learning is school is that a Y chromosome is reserved for the male gender. Now, maybe she or he has a unique circumstance, but how are the olympics to differentiate between the biological makeup of someone and their chromosomes?

Y chromosome is used in the development of the male features. Strength, lower fat etc. So I presume she has an advantage similar or worse than someone who juices.
Read the article.

I'm not arguing the science fall back on. I read and linked to the article:.

The controversies of the past few days took serious issues such as hyperandrogynism—the excessive production of testosterone by female bodies—and intersexuality, in which someone is born with sex characteristics that don't fit neatly into traditional definitions of male and female, and debased them. They then further poisoned an already very sensitive debate around transgender women's participation in the Olympics and sports competitions in general.

Beyond everything, however, the fact remains that Imane Khelif has always defined herself as a woman and the IOC is allowing her participate in the Olympics as such. Even in the face of assaultive public opinion, there is nothing to add.

If she had been a trans Algeria would have either locked her away in a prison to rot or execute her. The olympic committee now says she's a woman and trans.
I know you people are allergic to facts.

But I'll stick with the facts. Dispute something in the article or go troll elsewhere.

Forum List

Back