Once more time: Back to the Future circa 10/21/45

That's nice.

Practically speaking however, if the planet continues on it's current path - particularly the West - in thirty years we will be well entrenched in the beginning of The New Dark Ages.

• Banned
That's nice.

Practically speaking however, if the planet continues on it's current path - particularly the West - in thirty years we will be well entrenched in the beginning of The New Dark Ages.

Perplexing as your post is to me, am I correct in inferring that you believe the West will be taken over by Islam, and that Islam is reactionary and seeks a return to simpler times - like the middle of the 7th Century?

I tried to limit the thread to a prediction on transportation, technology and everyday life.

• Banned
Has anyone ever read the uni bombers manifesto?

Not me; I recall it being printed in the Chronicle before his arrest and skimming it, so I looked it up out of interest and found a Reader's Digest version much more readable:

The Unabomber Manifesto (CONDENSED)

Your point also escapes me; my point in posting the OP was for the reader to exercise his or her imagination. Of course part of that process includes each individual's experience.

Not me; I recall it being printed in the Chronicle before his arrest and skimming it, so I looked it up out of interest and found a Reader's Digest version much more readable:

Your point also escapes me; my point in posting the OP was for the reader to exercise his or her imagination. Of course part of that process includes each individual's experience.
It was about technology and cultural decline. I read it a few days ago and the OP made me remember it. That's all.

• Banned

It was about technology and cultural decline. I read it a few days ago and the OP made me remember it. That's all.

It was that and political too.

That aside, what do YOU think technology and transportation will be like in 2045?

I think man, if he can avoid war, could very well occupy the moon and visit Mars, maybe occupy it too.

That time to travel between the Continents maybe shortened by sub-orbital flight, bullet trains will connect our nation's major cities and electrified rail, above and below ground will dominate regional metropolis' which will limit cars from its boundaries.

Canals moving fresh water will be used to augment travel of people and commodities, to store fresh water for future drought and to irrigate arid regions creating farms where deserts exist today.

Green and renewal energy will be as common in the future as are fossil fuel sources of energy today, and the internal combustion engine will be a relic of the past.

The roofs of homes in the sun belt, and office building will have solar collectors and most structures will be self sufficient, as more efficient battery's and other means of saving energy will be developed (today heat is being stored in large silos of salt, something I read in popular science one day in my dentist's office, for example).

I can imagine a future with cleaner and safer nuclear facilities producing fresh water from sea water for irrigation and transportation; even a canal along our Southern Boarder moving products and people along an expanded Rio Grande from the Gulf in Texas west to the Tijuana River and eventually the Pacific Ocean. Far feteched, maybe, but so was space travel 100 years ago.

That aside, what do YOU think technology and transportation will be like in 2045?

I think man, if he can avoid war, could very well occupy the moon and visit Mars, maybe occupy it too.

That time to travel between the Continents maybe shortened by sub-orbital flight, bullet trains will connect our nation's major cities and electrified rail, above and below ground will dominate regional metropolis' which will limit cars from its boundaries.

Canals moving fresh water will be used to augment travel of people and commodities, to store fresh water for future drought and to irrigate arid regions creating farms where deserts exist today.

Green and renewal energy will be as common in the future as are fossil fuel sources of energy today, and the internal combustion engine will be a relic of the past.

The roofs of homes in the sun belt, and office building will have solar collectors and most structures will be self sufficient, as more efficient battery's and other means of saving energy will be developed (today heat is being stored in large silos of salt, something I read in popular science one day in my dentist's office, for example).

I can imagine a future with cleaner and safer nuclear facilities producing fresh water from sea water for irrigation and transportation; even a canal along our Southern Boarder moving products and people along an expanded Rio Grande from the Gulf in Texas west to the Tijuana River and eventually the Pacific Ocean. Far feteched, maybe, but so was space travel 100 years ago.
Hell man, I kinda agree with what you said.

• Banned

Hell man, I kinda agree with what you said.

CLUNK!!! :ack-1: (sound of wry falling off his chair and hitting the floor)

That's nice.

Perplexing as your post is to me, am I correct in inferring that you believe the West will be taken over by Islam, and that Islam is reactionary and seeks a return to simpler times - like the middle of the 7th Century?

I tried to limit the thread to a prediction on transportation, technology and everyday life.

No, but the attempt to do so will likely result in events that will affect the advancement of transportation, technology and everyday life.

That's nice.

No, but the attempt to do so will likely result in events that will affect the advancement of transportation, technology and everyday life.

Given your theory, how will such an attempt impact our everyday life, more so than it has as a result of the inconvenience when we travel or enter a public building?

That's nice.

Given your theory, how will such an attempt impact our everyday life, more so than it has as a result of the inconvenience when we travel or enter a public building?

You'll be living under tarps and cooking rats on a homemade spit. :disbelief:

1915. Horses and mules were still the major source of power and transportation for much of the nation. Very few homes had refrigeration, and fresh fruit and vegitables were to be had only in season. Airplanes were still in their infancy, and cross country roads were impassable much of the time. Antibiotics were in the future, and average life expectancy was something like 45 years. That was a century ago. Today, at the speed of increase in technology, we see as much change in 30 years as we saw in a century.

Trying to predict the future 30 years from now is futile. Technologies that are in their infancy at present, nano tech and bio tech will both change how we think and do things as much as the computer has in the last 30 years.

I started reading science fiction when I was 12. That was in 1955. And saw many of the predictions come true. However, what has impressed me more was the predicitons that were not made. The moon landing was deje vu as I watched it. Yet what wasn't predicted was the fact that so many in the world watched it as it happened. Computers were predicted to be huge, and run every facet of our lives. And here I sit with a little, very powerful one, in front of me, with the ability to communicate with anyone in the world that has a computer connected to the net. I don't remember anyone in those days predicting such a thing. Yet is is one of the most powerful drivers of our present society.

So, not predictions, but possibilities based on some seminal technologies.

Indefinite life span. You live as a young person until something kills you, no old age.

Much more public transportation, and greater population density.

A decentralized grid, more local control, much more robust than at present.

Direct human computer interface, creating a huge increase in the acceleration of technology.

Colonization of space, and use of the resources there.

Many things that we cannot even imagine at present.

Forum List

Back