ONE For GWB

edward37

Gold Member
Jan 19, 2017
My man George
Early on in the exclusive sit-down, the former president expressed a clear-eyed support for the news media, saying a free press was "indispensable to democracy."

"We need an independent media to hold people like me to account," Bush told TODAY'S Matt Lauer.

"Power can be very addictive and it can be corrosive, and itā€™s important for the media to call to account people who abuse their power."

RELATED: George W. Bush highlights military veterans in new book 'Portraits of Courage'

Bush was asked about the media's role in light of President Donald Trump's recent characterization of the media as the "enemy of the American people." He noted he spent a lot of time during his two terms trying to convince Russian President Vladimir Putin to embrace an independent press.

bush-today-inline-20170227_20abe6d34f3c5a68bee532591eef50f9.today-inline-large.jpg
Nathan Congleton
"Itā€™s kind of hard to tell others to have an independent free press when weā€™re not willing to have one ourselves," he said.

Bush also addressed the controversy over Trump advisers and the role they may have played in the scandal involving Russian hackers who tried to intervene in the election, saying he would leave questions about whether a special prosecutor should investigate up to the Senate intelligence committee leaders.

RELATED: Chuck Todd: John McCain is concerned Donald Trump ā€˜crossed the lineā€™ about media

ā€œI think we all need answers,ā€ he said, going to on praise North Carolina Senator Richard Burr, the head of the U.S. Senate intelligence committee. ā€œIā€™m not sure the right avenue to take. I am sure, though, that that question needs to be answered."

Bush, the last Republican to occupy the White House, also was asked about President Trump's controversial executive order that banned immigrants from predominantly Muslim nations.

Asked pointedly if he favored or opposed the policy, Bush said, "I am for an immigration policy that is welcoming and upholds the law."

Bush won the 2000 presidential election after one of the most contentious and controversial decisions in American history. He took office after a divided Supreme Court ruled over a dispute involving a contested recount in Florida.

share link
Hear the stories of the veterans behind George W. Bush's 'Portraits of Courage'
PLAY VIDEO - 8:55

Fake news is not an independent press, snowflake. Just bullshit for consumption by libtardos without a brain.
republican breath what was fake about it? I saw GWB on TV saying those things Was it a body double?
WASHINGTON ā€” Former President George W. Bush says ā€œwe all need answersā€ on the extent of contact between President Donald Trumpā€™s team and the Russian government, and he defended the mediaā€™s role in keeping world leaders in check.

In an interview on NBCā€™s ā€œTodayā€ show, Bush says he would trust Senate Intelligence panel Chairman Richard Burr to decide if a special prosecutor is necessary. But, Bush says, ā€œI think we all need answers ā€¦ Iā€™m not sure the right avenue to take. I am sure, though, that that question needs to be answered.ā€

Bush also defended the mediaā€™s role in keeping leaders in check, noting ā€œpower can be addictive.ā€ He says: ā€œItā€™s kind of hard to tell others to have an independent, free press when weā€™re not willing to have one ourselves.ā€

My man George
Early on in the exclusive sit-down, the former president expressed a clear-eyed support for the news media, saying a free press was "indispensable to democracy."

"We need an independent media to hold people like me to account," Bush told TODAY'S Matt Lauer.

"Power can be very addictive and it can be corrosive, and itā€™s important for the media to call to account people who abuse their power."

RELATED: George W. Bush highlights military veterans in new book 'Portraits of Courage'

Bush was asked about the media's role in light of President Donald Trump's recent characterization of the media as the "enemy of the American people." He noted he spent a lot of time during his two terms trying to convince Russian President Vladimir Putin to embrace an independent press.

bush-today-inline-20170227_20abe6d34f3c5a68bee532591eef50f9.today-inline-large.jpg
Nathan Congleton
"Itā€™s kind of hard to tell others to have an independent free press when weā€™re not willing to have one ourselves," he said.

Bush also addressed the controversy over Trump advisers and the role they may have played in the scandal involving Russian hackers who tried to intervene in the election, saying he would leave questions about whether a special prosecutor should investigate up to the Senate intelligence committee leaders.

RELATED: Chuck Todd: John McCain is concerned Donald Trump ā€˜crossed the lineā€™ about media

ā€œI think we all need answers,ā€ he said, going to on praise North Carolina Senator Richard Burr, the head of the U.S. Senate intelligence committee. ā€œIā€™m not sure the right avenue to take. I am sure, though, that that question needs to be answered."

Bush, the last Republican to occupy the White House, also was asked about President Trump's controversial executive order that banned immigrants from predominantly Muslim nations.

Asked pointedly if he favored or opposed the policy, Bush said, "I am for an immigration policy that is welcoming and upholds the law."

Bush won the 2000 presidential election after one of the most contentious and controversial decisions in American history. He took office after a divided Supreme Court ruled over a dispute involving a contested recount in Florida.

share link
He could have been a good potus. He'll go down in the worst five though. At one time I thought it was hubris that sunk him, but now I think he knew his limitations of experience/knowledge, and intended to rely upon others for that, but he was betrayed by people with agendas not tied to his presidency.

There may be a Trump analogy there, although Trump seriously suffers from hubris

My man George

Nathan Congleton

share link

And who exactly is against news?

Fake news is not an independent press, snowflake. Just bullshit for consumption by libtardos without a brain.

Good boy......you managed to use BOTH "fake news" AND "snowflake" in the same sentence.....
Sean Hannity would be proud of you.........LOL

My man George

Nathan Congleton

share link

And who exactly is against news?
Seriously guy you need an answer to that question??? ""The media is the enemy of the people""????

A free and responsible press is absolutely an indispensable part of a properly-functioning democracy.

That is why they must be held to a high standard, why they must hold themselves to a high standard, why they must be willing to take criticism, why they must remain under strict scrutiny, and why they must be held accountable for any dishonest actions and biases. They have a huge responsibility and cannot be allowed to use it to push personal agendas.

If the press is operating with biases, a democracy is in danger.

"When I was President, You Mattered Alot More", WIPES the SMUG grin right OFF Matt Lauer's face.

any enemy of trump ,,even gwb , is my friend LOL Can't believe I wrote that after cursing him out for 8 years

Forum List

Back