🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

why don't we PAY as yet childless women to get sterilized? paying men is a waste of money, since 1 man can easily impregnat 100 women, in a very few years. Say, 5k per woman? that would get about a billion women on board, world wide. it would get a lot of the really dumb ones in the US, too. People are just too stupid/arrogant about having kids. Until you've got a 1/4 millon $ (at least, per kid) wisely invested, you simply have no biz becoming a parent. without a doubt, if you have kids without first having that sort of assured income, you INTEND to mooch off of the taxpayer, You fully intend to utilize public education for your kid, paid for by other people's taxes, which are ( in reality )taken at gunpoint.

That's dumb. At the first indication that she couldn't handle the teaching load, she should have let somebody else do it. Homeschooling is extremely valuable, if parents are willing to actually teach. Heck, our kids were taught that God created the universe AND astronomy. It didn't hurt them at all, nor did it stunt their curiosity, or any of the other imaginary horrors dreamed up by those opposed to Christianity.

If the parent isn't the one teaching it isn't homeschooling any more. It's getting a tutor for 1 on 1 instruction. :)
Different label, same effect. We used an on-line accredited curriculum, so we had us plus online teachers. They did the actual grading and assignments. Worked very well.

It can work if the parent is willing and able to do what is needed. However, often, there is no way to check if they are, and no way to make them if they aren't.
On the contrary, home schooled kids can take the SOL's just like every other student. Next.

Barely Literate How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids Alternet

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

A rare occurrence. Those homeschooled both as a group and as individuals regularly beat their public system counterparts academically into simpering bloody smears.

Perhaps a small portion of them do. If a child is going to college, he is required to take admittance tests, so a comparison is possible. A parent who is preparing their child for college is more likely to teach their child. What about the vast majority of home schooled kids for who college is never an option? Do you think their parents are always going to work as hard with the child's education? For those children, there is never a way to compare their education to others.
Please cite statistics that back up your claim that the majority of homeschooled kids don't have the option of going to college. They are better prepared than most government schooled kids.

That's dumb. At the first indication that she couldn't handle the teaching load, she should have let somebody else do it. Homeschooling is extremely valuable, if parents are willing to actually teach. Heck, our kids were taught that God created the universe AND astronomy. It didn't hurt them at all, nor did it stunt their curiosity, or any of the other imaginary horrors dreamed up by those opposed to Christianity.

If the parent isn't the one teaching it isn't homeschooling any more. It's getting a tutor for 1 on 1 instruction. :)
Different label, same effect. We used an on-line accredited curriculum, so we had us plus online teachers. They did the actual grading and assignments. Worked very well.

It can work if the parent is willing and able to do what is needed. However, often, there is no way to check if they are, and no way to make them if they aren't.
On the contrary, home schooled kids can take the SOL's just like every other student. Next.

They can, but the majority don't.

They can, but the majority don't.
Please cite your source for that assertion.

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

A rare occurrence. Those homeschooled both as a group and as individuals regularly beat their public system counterparts academically into simpering bloody smears.

Perhaps a small portion of them do. If a child is going to college, he is required to take admittance tests, so a comparison is possible. A parent who is preparing their child for college is more likely to teach their child. What about the vast majority of home schooled kids for who college is never an option? Do you think their parents are always going to work as hard with the child's education? For those children, there is never a way to compare their education to others.

Do tell me, a college academic who was homeschooled, how college is never an option for the vast majority of homeschooled kids.

If you're not careful, I'll rip you a new one on this particular issue, because unlike you I actually have an understanding of homeschooling, having been homeschooled.

Do tell me, a college academic who was homeschooled, how college is never an option for the vast majority of homeschooled kids.

If you're not careful, I'll rip you a new one on this particular issue, because unlike you I actually have an understanding of homeschooling, having been homeschooled.
A serious lack of understanding was displayed.

Please cite statistics that back up your claim that the majority of homeschooled kids don't have the option of going to college. They are better prepared than most government schooled kids.

Homeschool Outcomes - Coalition for Responsible Home Education
In a 2004 study, Belfield found that less than one third as many SAT takers self-reported as homeschooled students as should have been expected given the number of children homeschooled at the time.

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

IT'S CHILD ABUSE

I'm sure there are many home schooled students whose parents were competent and consistent, and afforded their children a great education. However, that is the minority. In 2004 a study found that of students who were home schooled, only about a third of them took the SAT in comparison to what the numbers of home schooled would imply. In other words, allowing for number of students, home schooled students only applied for college at 1/3 the rate of others.

I'm sure there are many home schooled students whose parents were competent and consistent, and afforded their children a great education. However, that is the minority....

How do you know?

Link supplied earlier in thread.

So, taking the SAT is the only measure of a good education?

It is one of the very few ways to compare home schoolers to others. Unless they take that or some other college entrance exam. There isn't much way to compare. Standardized tests are not required for all home schoolers.

I'm sure there are many home schooled students whose parents were competent and consistent, and afforded their children a great education. However, that is the minority....

How do you know?

It is one of the very few ways to compare home schoolers to others. .

No it's not.

How do you know?

It is one of the very few ways to compare home schoolers to others. .

No it's not.

I could be wrong. Please list other ways.

Homeschool Outcomes - Coalition for Responsible Home Education
In a 2004 study, Belfield found that less than one third as many SAT takers self-reported as homeschooled students as should have been expected given the number of children homeschooled at the time.
How does that mean they don't have the option of going to college?

Forum List

Back