🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

You Leftwing Loons really cannot help generalizing specific examples, can you?

please don't attribute your windiness and looniness to anyone else. but schools don't allow classes to be disrupted by mainstreaming.... at least not in classes that teach high performing kids.

for the record,i don't like mainstreaming, boetoxic.
And how long did you teach?

And don't tell me the disruptive are not mainstreamed, even SE teachers need a planning period.

You cannot believe what I have seen in the name of placing a student in "the least restrictive environment".

one doesn't have to teach to know what happens in schools. you just need kids in school. something you clearly don't have.

disruptive kids aren't placed in high performing classes.

1. i attended public school.
2. my husband attended public school
3. my son attends public school and is going to NYU in the fall.

i'm pretty sure that his classes weren't disrupted because he wasn't in the low performing classes.

I had kids in school.

I was in them, as a student and 25 years as a teacher.

Disruptive kids are placed in almost all classes in poor districts with huge classes.

Just the way it is.

maybe where you were. i can't speak to that. i know it wasn't an issue in any school my son went to at least, as i said, not in the high-performing classes.

Well, goody for the "high performing classes". What about the kids who go to the regular classes? They don't deserve to have an education free of disruption?

Naught but the elitism I would expect from a leftist. "I got mine, you peasants fuck off."

Many years ago, I was in a Blockbuster store with my nieces and nephews, who were home schooled by their mother who was sorta fallen catholic who didn't believe in any sort of birth control, mostly fundie, and a grade school teacher herself who had been fired. The oldest daughter, age 16 at the time, asked me to read the box for a movie. She could not read it enough to understand what the movie was about.

I've long since gotten away from that nutter family but last I heard, that daughter and another girl both had illegitimate kids and the oldest boy was living with his girlfriend and their illegitimate kids in a trailer parked next to their parents home. They have other, younger daughters but I don't know anything about them.

Bunch of losers. They were racist, ignorant, hated blacks, rabid RWs, with all those kids living on the dole and undoubtedly now blaming Obama for their own failures. Just like the nutters here.
Because one personal anecdote outweighs reality?

I think his anecdote explains a lot about him by telling us about the family that spawned him. Doesn't say a damned thing about anyone else in the world, though.

My mother taught me to read before I started kindergarten. I remember sitting on the floor in the living room reading Rufolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.

The problem with this society is that parents are not given recommendations to suggest to their children at early ages so kids are left stumbling around in the dark but now we have a society with way more info-trash. Read Harry Potter, yeah right!

The Wind in the Willows (1908) by Kenneth Grahame
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - Free Ebook

The Boxcar Children (1924) by Gertrude Chandler Warner
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Box-car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner.

The Fourth R (1959) by George O. Smith
DigiLibraries.com - eBook The Fourth R by Smith George O. George Oliver

psik

My ex-husband is reading "Little House on the Prairie" with our six-year-old. It's a bit strange for a guy, I guess, but those books were favorites of Joe's when he was a kid, and he really wanted to share them with Quinn.

Quinn amazes me, I swear. He started kindergarten last year with his numbers, his alphabet, and the sounds the letters made. Now, a year later, he can literally read any book in my house that's written in English. He may not UNDERSTAND what he's reading, but recognizing and pronouncing the words is no issue for him whatsoever. I've never seen anything like it. A family member didn't believe me when I told them, so I grabbed a book at random off the shelf - Sir Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe", as it happens - and handed it to Quinn, and he read the entire first page to her. Never seen the book before in his life.

Now that he can do basic arithmetic in his head, Joe is working with him on money and fractions. He's already checking my change for me when I go shopping.

Which is why you want to homeschool them, so they actually learn. You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids by and large outperform their government schooled peers by large margins?

my public school taught son can outthink pretty much any person who is homeschooled and thinks the world is 5,000 years old.
Really? What accelerated programs did he excel in? You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids are often ready for college 1 to 2 years before government schooled ones? It's hard to argue with success.
Ready for college, true, but often, never had a date, never will have a date.

That is completely bogus. There are home school groups which arrange activities so that kids are socialized. It is also not UNHEARD of to meet people at church activities.

The entire world is not made up of Public School.

If my kid is socializing in class, then that's not a very good class.

I frankly don't think very highly of school "socialization", anyway. It's virtually the only time in your life when you're thrown together with people based on no commonality other than age, and frankly doesn't set up a very realistic framework for interaction in the rest of your life.

Better to get your kids involved in sports, or clubs, or some sort of activity.

What about when they enter the job market after school?

my public school taught son can outthink pretty much any person who is homeschooled and thinks the world is 5,000 years old.
Really? What accelerated programs did he excel in? You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids are often ready for college 1 to 2 years before government schooled ones? It's hard to argue with success.

That is completely bogus. There are home school groups which arrange activities so that kids are socialized. It is also not UNHEARD of to meet people at church activities.

I frankly don't think very highly of school "socialization", anyway. It's virtually the only time in your life when you're thrown together with people based on no commonality other than age, and frankly doesn't set up a very realistic framework for interaction in the rest of your life.

Think about it for a minute. Home-schooled kids have been accustomed to interacting with adults as well as children, because they were not thrown into a classroom with a bunch of kids every day. They're very prepared for the job market. If you're concerned about how someone is going to act on the job, I'd prefer they learned from adults than from a bunch of kids.

Think about it for a minute. Home-schooled kids have been accustomed to interacting with adults as well as children, because they were not thrown into a classroom with a bunch of kids every day. They're very prepared for the job market. If you're concerned about how someone is going to act on the job, I'd prefer they learned from adults than from a bunch of kids.

Terrific, and no one gives a fuck.

Add in a few more billable hours, a few court dates, and the fact that the clerks are personally liable, and the whole American Taliban love-fest goes away...
Your whining post shows that you DO care actually.Oh and as long as they don't issue licenses to ANYONE you can't do jack shit about it. :)
One state, America does not make.

It is no surprise that Alabama being opposed to same-sex marriage before, is still opposed now.

Unless you are suggesting public opinion magically changes in the space of a few months or weeks?

It will take a year or more, but I think that those opposing numbers will come down, as people start to realize the sky won't fall just because gays get married.
More than one state...that's just one they talked about I saw Kentucky as well...have heard Texas and Mississippi are changing things up as well....
They aren't 'changing', so the premise of this thread is incorrect.

Kentucky has also been against same-sex marriage, as has Texas and Mississippi, here's a list to help: List of U.S. state constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions by type - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
They are changing up as in some counties are refusing to give ANY licenses out...not just not giving them to faggots. That makes it completely legal.

Punishing people who did nothing wrong by not issuing anybody licenses? Bad idea for their cause because:

A) It's only going to piss off people that now can't get married there. Think about when you were in school and your teacher told the entire class that nobody can drink soda because one kid spilled it on the floor one day. Would you not get pissed at the teacher? Of course you would--because it's a blanket punishment and you're suffering for the actions of others that you had nothing to do with.

B) Other than the people living in areas where people can't marriage licenses...nobody else gives a shit. I really couldn't care less if anybody in Alabama can't get married anymore. I really couldn't.
They can and will blame the faggots causing this problem. If not oh well.

Go re-read my post. The person I quoted said that school is the only place where people will ever randomly be grouped together (for lack of a better term), and I simply asked about when they enter the job market?

I made no comments on home schooling vs public schooling.

When I work up North I run into more home schooling. The ones I've actually known were really well adjusted bright people. I had always kinda made fun of it too...but I learned differently after knowing some.
They had an online "group" and a few families shared in the teaching part. The kids regularly did volunteer work in places and with subjects they were interested in the one girl I knew well was planning on college. :dunno:

Think about public schools...learn the minimal, but must pass tests, compete with classmates...grow into jerks lol

When I work up North I run into more home schooling. The ones I've actually known were really well adjusted bright people. I had always kinda made fun of it too...but I learned differently after knowing some.
They had an online "group" and a few families shared in the teaching part. The kids regularly did volunteer work in places and with subjects they were interested in the one girl I knew well was planning on college. :dunno:

Think about public schools...learn the minimal, but must pass tests, compete with classmates...grow into jerks lol
Barely Literate How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids Alternet

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

So let me get this straight.

You found one home schooled child who could not read?

How many are there who graduate public schools that can't read do you reckon?

You work somewhere that only has employees in one age category? Most people don't. And I can tell you it's quite a shock to a lot of young people when they're expected to interact with older folks as though we're actual human beings, instead of the ambulatory background props they've always viewed "grownups" to be before.

You work somewhere that only has employees in one age category? Most people don't. And I can tell you it's quite a shock to a lot of young people when they're expected to interact with older folks as though we're actual human beings, instead of the ambulatory background props they've always viewed "grownups" to be before.

Where did I mention in the real work force they wont interact with others of all ages? I don't think you're comprehending my posts.

Socialization is an important skill that many home school kids lack...however so are most public school kids nowadays.

Where did I mention in the real work force they wont interact with others of all ages? I don't think you're comprehending my posts.

Socialization is an important skill that many home school kids lack...however so are most public school kids nowadays.

I don't think you comprehended MY post. You highlighted a section where I said that school is about the only time in life where you're segregated based on nothing but age. Then you asked what about the job market after school. So, assuming an actual topical link between the highlighted passage and your post, I pointed out that the job market is almost never segregated by age. Most companies hire employees from a variety of age groups, and the commonality is an interest in and skill for the type of work being done.

Socialization is an important skill that public school really doesn't teach, and you only assume homeschoolers lack it because you've been told they do. I really doubt you actually know anyone who was homeschooled. Homeschooling parents usually give more thought to their children's socialization than other parents (who assume that their children are being taught social skills in those zoos we call public schools) and it is generally done in groups based on common interests and common values in addition to age, which makes it more analogous to the rest of life.

You live in a fantasy world

Votto makes a point about the OP's post.

If he's going to actually take just one example of an 11-year-old homeschooled kid who couldn't read, and try to use that one thing against all of homeschooling, what's to keep any of us from taking just one thing from publicschooling, and using it against all of that?

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

Quiverful has all the hallmarks of a cult.

You live in a fantasy world

Always a pleasure to have you show up and add such exquisitely crafted nothing to the conversation.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!
Many Christians have never read the Bible. They feel it's their pastor's job to tell them what it says.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!
Many Christians have never read the Bible. They feel it's their pastor's job to tell them what it says.

It's a really straight violation of second law - about making idol for yourself. Pastor never have to be an idol, translating bible as he understand - he must to teach all, who want to read bible.

Forum List

Back