Online Quizzes Gathering Personal Info?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
How It s Done Internet quizzes may collect more than your answers - LancasterOnline Lifestyle

You may have seen these quizzes show up on your Facebook feed: Which “Downton Abbey” — or “Harry Potter” or “Girls” or “Parks and Recreation” — character are you?

Or these popular ones from the website BuzzFeed: “What State Do You Actually Belong In?” Or “Which Classic Rock Band Are You?”

BuzzFeed and another website, Zimbio, abound with such quizzes. Other websites offer free IQ tests, longevity and personality tests.

I am as vulnerable as anyone to clicking on these quizzes (I was inordinately pleased to learn that I am most like Albus Dumbledore).

But what might we be giving away when we take an Internet quiz?

“Quizzes are fun and entertaining but most are designed to collect information as well,” says Stacey Irwin, associate professor of communications at Millersville University.

According to an article on PCWorld.com, online quizzes are “a powerful tool for companies to collect your data and even your money — and often in ways you might not notice.”

Like we should not have seen this coming.

How It s Done Internet quizzes may collect more than your answers - LancasterOnline Lifestyle

You may have seen these quizzes show up on your Facebook feed: Which “Downton Abbey” — or “Harry Potter” or “Girls” or “Parks and Recreation” — character are you?

Or these popular ones from the website BuzzFeed: “What State Do You Actually Belong In?” Or “Which Classic Rock Band Are You?”

BuzzFeed and another website, Zimbio, abound with such quizzes. Other websites offer free IQ tests, longevity and personality tests.

I am as vulnerable as anyone to clicking on these quizzes (I was inordinately pleased to learn that I am most like Albus Dumbledore).

But what might we be giving away when we take an Internet quiz?

“Quizzes are fun and entertaining but most are designed to collect information as well,” says Stacey Irwin, associate professor of communications at Millersville University.

According to an article on PCWorld.com, online quizzes are “a powerful tool for companies to collect your data and even your money — and often in ways you might not notice.”

Like we should not have seen this coming.

What are you worried about, retard?

You've already told us way more than we've ever wanted to know about you right here on the USMB as it is. :badgrin:

Forum List

Back