Only Republicans are allowed to have Ethnic Backgrounds

sealy, you're a bigot....

did she or did she not bring up her race in 2001?

So what you're saying is that if you bring up your race at any point in your life - you're a racist?

is the whole point of being a racist "feeling a superiority over another race"? did she or did she not say she as a latina could do it better than a white male???? why yes I think she did,, a racist comment for sure,, does one racist comment make her a racist? not any more than it does a white man,, but look what happened to that old radio guy.. see the difference??

"ALITO: Senator, I tried to in my opening statement, I tried to provide a little picture of who I am as a human being and how my background and my experiences have shaped me and brought me to this point. ... And that's why I went into that in my opening statement. Because when a case comes before me involving, let's say, someone who is an immigrant -- and we get an awful lot of immigration cases and naturalization cases -- I can't help but think of my own ancestors, because it wasn't that long ago when they were in that position. [...] "

Scalia, Alito Quotes Blunt Conservative Attacks On Sotomayor

Apparently its OK for a republican to recognize his background can influence his judicial decisions - but not a democrat.

big surprise

guess what, Scalia thinks that judges make policy. "Even if the policy making capacity of judges were limited to courts of last resort, that would only prove that the announce clause fails strict scrutiny" (same link)

I guess scalia is a liberal scumbag.

You know what - the people who come up with talking points for Republicans - they are total and complete hypocrites.

These white people will deny that it is racism when 10% of our population (blacks) make up 90% of our prison population, when 90% of the judges are white. Agreed?

But, they will claim that this hispanic judge will show favoratizm towards other latino's???

Is that an admission?

White men wrote Roe v. Wade. White men wrote Brown v. Board of Education.

I think the onus is on Sonia Sotomayor to explain how she can be impartial to a white man when she said a Latina woman would make a better decision than a white man.

She would get kicked off a jury for saying that. Is she qualified to be a SCOTUS justice?

Maybe context would help?

Sotamayor said:
In our private conversations, Judge Cedarbaum has pointed out to me that seminal decisions in race and sex discrimination cases have come from Supreme Courts composed exclusively of white males. I agree that this is significant but I also choose to emphasize that the people who argued those cases before the Supreme Court which changed the legal landscape ultimately were largely people of color and women. I recall that Justice Thurgood Marshall, Judge Connie Baker Motley, the first black woman appointed to the federal bench, and others of the NAACP argued Brown v. Board of Education. Similarly, Justice Ginsburg, with other women attorneys, was instrumental in advocating and convincing the Court that equality of work required equality in terms and conditions of employment.

Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

Let us not forget that wise men like Oliver Wendell Holmes and Justice Cardozo voted on cases which upheld both sex and race discrimination in our society. Until 1972, no Supreme Court case ever upheld the claim of a woman in a gender discrimination case. I, like Professor Carter, believe that we should not be so myopic as to believe that others of different experiences or backgrounds are incapable of understanding the values and needs of people from a different group. Many are so capable. As Judge Cedarbaum pointed out to me, nine white men on the Supreme Court in the past have done so on many occasions and on many issues including Brown.

However, to understand takes time and effort, something that not all people are willing to give. For others, their experiences limit their ability to understand the experiences of others. Other simply do not care. Hence, one must accept the proposition that a difference there will be by the presence of women and people of color on the bench. Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see.

If she thinks the racial or ethnic component of her experience as it pertains to her decision making isn't in conflict with the SCOTUS oath, she should find another job.

If she thinks the racial or ethnic component of her experience as it pertains to her decision making isn't in conflict with the SCOTUS oath, she should find another job.

And I suppose so should Justice Alito, then.

Alito said:
Senator, I tried to in my opening statement, I tried to provide a little picture of who I am as a human being and how my background and my experiences have shaped me and brought me to this point. … And that’s why I went into that in my opening statement. Because when a case comes before me involving, let’s say, someone who is an immigrant — and we get an awful lot of immigration cases and naturalization cases — I can’t help but think of my own ancestors, because it wasn’t that long ago when they were in that position. [...]

Everyone in this country is an immigrant, or descended from one.

Not everyone is a Latino.

Did Alito say an immigrant would make a better decsion than a white man?

Maybe context would help?

Sotamayor said:
In our private conversations, Judge Cedarbaum has pointed out to me that seminal decisions in race and sex discrimination cases have come from Supreme Courts composed exclusively of white males. I agree that this is significant but I also choose to emphasize that the people who argued those cases before the Supreme Court which changed the legal landscape ultimately were largely people of color and women. I recall that Justice Thurgood Marshall, Judge Connie Baker Motley, the first black woman appointed to the federal bench, and others of the NAACP argued Brown v. Board of Education. Similarly, Justice Ginsburg, with other women attorneys, was instrumental in advocating and convincing the Court that equality of work required equality in terms and conditions of employment.

Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

Let us not forget that wise men like Oliver Wendell Holmes and Justice Cardozo voted on cases which upheld both sex and race discrimination in our society. Until 1972, no Supreme Court case ever upheld the claim of a woman in a gender discrimination case. I, like Professor Carter, believe that we should not be so myopic as to believe that others of different experiences or backgrounds are incapable of understanding the values and needs of people from a different group. Many are so capable. As Judge Cedarbaum pointed out to me, nine white men on the Supreme Court in the past have done so on many occasions and on many issues including Brown.

However, to understand takes time and effort, something that not all people are willing to give. For others, their experiences limit their ability to understand the experiences of others. Other simply do not care. Hence, one must accept the proposition that a difference there will be by the presence of women and people of color on the bench. Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see.

Let's see how many actually read this. I already know Fraulein Hilda didn't.

To me the statistics prove that white judges are racist. Why else do blacks get harsher sentences? The whites have more money and better lawyers? Racism!!! Unfair!!!

And you can't tell me that a lot of white judges don't look down on blacks that are put in front of them. Arrogant pricks.

Have you ever gone in front of a judge? They suck ass!!! Judgemental mother fuckers. LOL.

PS. It is also shown that blacks are harder on blacks and latino judges are harder on hispanics because they want to prove that they are being fair. So often times, the reverse happens. They are tougher on their brothers and sisters. But they are also fair, which white judges are not. Statistics prove that. And what else can you go off of other than statistics?

Don't go with what is in your heart. Not everyone thinks like you.

Blacks almost universally get harsher sentences for identical crimes - but I'm sure a Republican could figure out a way to make it look like this is a result of blacks being racist, not whites - at least to the sheeple that follow Rush and the like.

WTF do you want people to say?

Here: I'm a conservative leaning person (dont get that confused with Republican) who also thinks that yes, there is a tendacy torwards a racial problem in our court system. In any system I would guess.

Happy?

STFU, this thread is one long whine...

sealy, you're a bigot....

did she or did she not bring up her race in 2001?

no sealy is exactly what he accuses others of being.. he is a racist.

Only I am doing it to prove a point. Doesn't feel good, does it?

You southerner want to suggest you are better than black people or hispanics?

Well then, I can make a good argument about how we are better than you red necks. People with southern accents are less intelligent than northerners. There is some imbreded reason why yall and the people in the bayou talk so fucked up. If your not stupid, you sound stupid.

And same goes for people in Boston. They are liberal, so you can't say I'm not being fair.

If you go to Harvard or Yale or Prinston or Notre Dame, you rarely hear a red neck.

Bunch of Larry the Cable Guys.

Give me some numbers showing blacks get longer sentences for the same crimes and rap sheets as whites.

Rich whites buy cocaine and get lighter sentences than blacks who buy crack.

Racism!!!

Obama is going to fix this by the way. :clap2:

You got some statistics on this?

This is why a black or hispanic is better fit to sit on the Supreme Court. You white people just don't get it.

And I know you are new, but let me tell you that you guys always do this. You ask for proof but never provide it for me when I ask. So I'll give you some facts and you better return the favor if I ever ask, broom hilda.

Equal penalties urged for crack and powdered cocaine
White House: '80s law is racist, unfair

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration joined a federal judge Wednesday in urging Congress to end a racial disparity by equalizing prison sentences for dealing and using crack versus powdered cocaine.

"Jails are loaded with people who look like me," U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton, an African American, said at a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing.

Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer said the administration believes Congress' goal "should be to completely eliminate the disparity" between the two forms of cocaine.

"A growing number of citizens view it as fundamentally unfair," Breuer testified.

It takes 100 times more powdered cocaine than crack cocaine to trigger the same harsh mandatory minimum sentences.

Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat who chairs the subcommittee, said, "Under current law, mere possession of 5 grams of crack -- the weight of five packets of sweetener -- carries the same sentence as distribution of half a kilogram of powder or 500 packets of sweetener."

Durbin said more than 81% of those convicted for crack offenses in 2007 were African American, although only about 25% of crack cocaine users are African Americans.

Walton said, "We were mistaken" to enact the disparity. "There's no greater violence in cases before me."

He added that jurors have expressed an unwillingness to serve in crack cocaine cases because of the disparity.

President Barack Obama had called for such a change while campaigning for the White House.

Give me some numbers showing blacks get longer sentences for the same crimes and rap sheets as whites.

UNITED NATIONS - More than 200 activists, civil rights leaders and celebrities urged the United Nations on Wednesday to challenge America's drug laws in an upcoming UN conference on racism, saying they discriminated against African-Americans and Hispanics.
In a petition to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, the signatories said the US war on drugs was "not a war on plants and chemicals, but on citizens and other human beings who all too often are members of racial and ethnic minorities."

The petitioners included actor Danny Glover; singer Harry Belafonte; New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson; Julian Bond, chairman of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People; former New York City mayor David Dinkins and dozens of legislators, church leaders, scholars and scientists.

UN spokesman Fred Eckhard said Annan had not yet seen the the petition, but he noted that UN member states were writing the conference document, not the secretary-general.

Whites use as many drugs as Latinos and African Americans.

But among those incarcerated for drug offences in the United States, 57 percent are black and 22 percent are Hispanic -- partly because the drugs they use, such as "crack" cocaine carry tougher sentences, the letter said.

"The war on drugs is rooted in racial bias," it charged.

The UN conference against racism is due to be held in Durban, beginning on August 31, but negotiations over the meeting are deadlocked over demands by Arab nations that the conference texts link Zionism with racism.

This has prompted the United States to threaten to boycott the meeting.

Rich whites buy cocaine and get lighter sentences than blacks who buy crack.

Racism!!!

Obama is going to fix this by the way. :clap2:

You got some statistics on this?

Study.

Did you read the article?

Also, there has been a decrease in the use of crack cocaine in predominantly minority urban neighborhoods and an increase in methamphetamine abuse in many primarily white rural areas, Mauer said Wednesday.

We know that blacks have been disproportionately targeted for crack offenses ... conversely for whites," Mauer said Wednesday. A growing proportion of people have been imprisoned for abusing methamphetamine, he said, most of whom are white.

It's conceivable that police are shifting their focus. There has been criticism of police for over policing black communities, especially when it comes to drug offenses," Mauer said.

He said 80 percent of crack offenders are black, while the rest are white or Hispanic.

In addition, judges mete out harsher sentences for crack cocaine, most often used by minorities, and powder cocaine, usually favored by whites, although the chemical makeup of the two is the same, Mauer said.

The mandatory federal sentence for selling about 500 grams or one pound of powered cocaine is five years, Mauer said. Someone convicted of selling about five grams of crack, or about two sugar packets, gets the same five-year term, he said.

Some in Congress are seeking to equalize penalties for crack and powder cocaine, he added.

Forum List

Back