Opinion: China’s ‘monster’ ship (165 meters, 541 feet long) is a sign of a much bigger problem

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
There is another monster ship being built and the U.S satellites have observed certain elements in the ship that suggest it will be used for offensive purposes including an aircraft catapult. Just as Russian actions precluded the attack on Ukraine, China has been even more overt.

China is ramping up and the U.S knows it. Corporations and Western consumers are going to have to make the decision now or the consequences for all of us could be dire.

The greatest intelligence successes in the history of the world have occurred over the last 30 years. Simply amazing, and they aren't done yet.

Protect. Defend. Save. Three words that define the US Coast Guard’s missions and are central to its ethos statement. For the antithesis of this ethos, look directly at the China Coast Guard.

For nearly 234 years, the US Coast Guard has been true to that ethos in carrying out its many missions around the country and the globe. Around the world, many countries with a coast guard use a facsimile of the distinguishing US Coast Guard ‘racing stripe’ and white paint scheme, which differentiates these vessels from the Navy, to mark their ships or cutters. It’s an homage, intended or not, to the nobility of purpose embodied in our coast guard.

That is why I find the conduct of the China Coast Guard so jarring and disconcerting — such as attacking and destroying a Philippine resupply mission. It is completely at odds with the ethos of coast guards not just here, but everywhere small naval forces seek to bring governance and stability to the waters for which they are responsible.

China recently continued this aggressive conduct by anchoring one of its behemoth 541-foot coast guard vessels, dubbed by some observers “The Monster,” within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ) maritime territory. I’m struck by how closely the ship resembles the 378-foot cutter Mellon that I served aboard as an ensign more than 30 years ago, but the incongruity of the actions of this vessel with my experience is striking.

“Monster” and coast guard don’t belong in the same sentence. However, by the actions of this ship violating the Philippines’ EEZ in an act of intimidation, and the overall conduct of China in the South China Sea and the territorial seas of its many neighbors, it is clear this ship has earned the moniker. And we need to be prepared for additional aggressive actions from China.

“Gray zone” warfare is a term that refers to unfriendly actions that fall short of outright armed conflict between nations. It’s somewhat ambiguous and may not be immediately clear to observers what might be involved in the “zone.” US Indo-Pacific Commander Adm. Samuel Paparo has aptly described these activities as “illegal, coercive, aggressive and deceptive” — a simple, straightforward characterization of China’s maritime activity in the region.

Forum List

Back