Opoiod Painkillers

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
CDC restricts use of opioid painkillers...

CDC issues restrictive new guidelines for opioid painkillers
March 16, 2016 - The agency said acute pain patients often require less than a week of opioid drugs, and chronic pain patients would be better helped with other forms of treatment.
The federal government issued new guidelines this week recommending doctors prescribe opioid painkillers for a week at most, and suggesting chronic pain not be treated at all with the drugs. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention is changing recommendations in an effort to curb growing rates of addiction to opioid drugs such as OxyContin and Vicodin as doctors have prescribed them more often and in greater quantities than may be best for patients. The drugs, marketed to doctors and hospitals as having low risk for addiction, have been used increasingly in the last two decades for all manner of pain. For many patients with chronic pain, or who have been prescribed the drugs for too long because of temporary conditions, addiction has become a significant problem.

In 2012, 259 million prescriptions were written for opioids, increasing 7.3 percent from 2007 to 2012, according to the CDC. From 1999 to 2014, 165,000 people died from overdoses of prescription painkillers, an increase the agency reports has mirrored the huge increase in use of the drugs during that time. Recent studies have found doctors are aware the drugs are overprescribed, but say they have to balance patients' chronic pain conditions with their potential to develop a dependence on them. In many cases, patients who have overdosed continue to receive prescriptions for opioid drugs, exacerbating the problem.

CDC-issues-restrictive-new-guidelines-for-opioid-painkillers.jpg

Over the last 20 years, prescriptions for opioid painkillers have increased, along with reports of abuse, addiction and overdose. New guidelines for doctors from the CDC are meant to curb the overuse of the drugs.​

With a well-known litany of evidence showing the addiction problem, other research is showing far less of the drugs are needed for many patients, if the drugs are even necessary -- a study in Canada showed physical therapy patients fared better without opioid painkillers. "It's the first time the federal government has clearly communicated to the medical community that widespread and routine practice of treating long-term chronic pain with opioids is inappropriate," Dr. Andrew Kolodny, executive director of Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing, told STAT.

The new guidelines, published as part of the agency's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, lay out a set of recommendations meant to help doctors minimize, if not outright avoid, the use of opioid drugs for patients who do not have cancer, or require palliative or end-of-life care. Researchers at the agency reviewed clinical trials, data on prescriptions, use, and abuse of the drugs, finding most trials with the drugs lasted six weeks or less, but that patients are often on them for much longer periods of time. The data shows the longer the drugs are used, the less effective they are against pain or in helping patients recover, and long-term use significantly increases the risk for addiction.

MORE

I was given Oxy after a surgery and it sucked....

I have seen more people in recovery for Benzo's ( Valium , and Xanax) than Opioids.
Ambien ( sleeping pill ) is a scheduled drug and easy to get addicted to as well....Many many are on Ambien..

People are getting their drugs online oversea's too.. self medicating..

March 16, 2016 - The agency said acute pain patients often require less than a week of opioid drugs, and chronic pain patients would be better helped with other forms of treatment.
The federal government issued new guidelines this week recommending doctors prescribe opioid painkillers for a week at most, and suggesting chronic pain not be treated at all with the drugs. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention is changing recommendations in an effort to curb growing rates of addiction to opioid drugs such as OxyContin and Vicodin as doctors have prescribed them more often and in greater quantities than may be best for patients. The drugs, marketed to doctors and hospitals as having low risk for addiction, have been used increasingly in the last two decades for all manner of pain. For many patients with chronic pain, or who have been prescribed the drugs for too long because of temporary conditions, addiction has become a significant problem.

In 2012, 259 million prescriptions were written for opioids, increasing 7.3 percent from 2007 to 2012, according to the CDC. From 1999 to 2014, 165,000 people died from overdoses of prescription painkillers, an increase the agency reports has mirrored the huge increase in use of the drugs during that time. Recent studies have found doctors are aware the drugs are overprescribed, but say they have to balance patients' chronic pain conditions with their potential to develop a dependence on them. In many cases, patients who have overdosed continue to receive prescriptions for opioid drugs, exacerbating the problem.

Over the last 20 years, prescriptions for opioid painkillers have increased, along with reports of abuse, addiction and overdose. New guidelines for doctors from the CDC are meant to curb the overuse of the drugs.​

With a well-known litany of evidence showing the addiction problem, other research is showing far less of the drugs are needed for many patients, if the drugs are even necessary -- a study in Canada showed physical therapy patients fared better without opioid painkillers. "It's the first time the federal government has clearly communicated to the medical community that widespread and routine practice of treating long-term chronic pain with opioids is inappropriate," Dr. Andrew Kolodny, executive director of Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing, told STAT.

The new guidelines, published as part of the agency's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, lay out a set of recommendations meant to help doctors minimize, if not outright avoid, the use of opioid drugs for patients who do not have cancer, or require palliative or end-of-life care. Researchers at the agency reviewed clinical trials, data on prescriptions, use, and abuse of the drugs, finding most trials with the drugs lasted six weeks or less, but that patients are often on them for much longer periods of time. The data shows the longer the drugs are used, the less effective they are against pain or in helping patients recover, and long-term use significantly increases the risk for addiction.

MORE
Yep, because acute pain never lasts more than a week.

The government ordered severe acute pain to not last over a week. And Mr.Pain is a good citizen who always obeys government orders.

MORE

The government ordered severe acute pain to not last over a week. And Mr.Pain is a good citizen who always obeys government orders.

I had "Foot Surgery" as to speak. The pain afterward was very painful.

I was prescribed Tylenol with codeine if memory serves me correct. It took care of the pain, but after I quit taking the drug, I "Hurt" ; and littlerly "Came down" from the Tylenol.

??? After that I as given the prescription again, for a second treatment, and never finished the prescription ??? - but in any event I never finished the prescription. I poured the rest of the pills down the toilet. It was almost as better to deal with the pain than it was to "Come down" from not taking the prescription.

NEVER AGAIN do I want to feel like that. It was almost like the podiatrist was trying to get me hooked on the darn Tylenol and Codeine.

Shadow 355

You shouldn'

MORE

I was prescribed Tylenol with codeine if memory serves me correct. It took care of the pain, but after I quit taking the drug, I "Hurt" ; and littlerly "Came down" from the Tylenol.

??? After that I as given the prescription again, for a second treatment, and never finished the prescription ??? - but in any event I never finished the prescription. I poured the rest of the pills down the toilet. It was almost as better to deal with the pain than it was to "Come down" from not taking the prescription.

NEVER AGAIN do I want to feel like that. It was almost like the podiatrist was trying to get me hooked on the darn Tylenol and Codeine.

Shadow 355
You shouldn't flush controlled substances down the toilet.

sometimes a week just wont do.....hubby had bilateral knee replacements (fancy talk for both knees done at once) he needed short term painkiller as well as a long term pain killer (every 12 hours) the short term was for immediate use....1/2 hour prior to rehab...i would have hated to see him just have a week of meds...we were both surprised that there was zero discussion of addiction and potential addiction to these meds.....when he went back for his one month check up...first thing the nurse said...was to tell them what pain killers he needed refills for...he literally hit the pain killer jack pot! he refused any refills....he still has left off meds...which i keep in case they are needed

That what a lot of people don't understand...

... painkillers are not like antibiotics...

... you only take painkillers AS NEEDED for pain...

... once the pain subsides - stop using them...

... too many people keep using them even if there is just a twinge of pain...

... this doesn't apply to those with chronic pain...

... common sense is the best approach.

i like pain killers....and i like breathing....the former can make the latter much harder....i have given up the bad habits of my youth....

I've had numerous facial and oral surgeries over the years. Probably nearing a dozen of them now. Including having 31 teeth removed over a pair of successive Mondays back in 2003. I have not filled a single prescription for any of the pain meds I was given after those surgeries. I'm not some pain nut or anything like that. I just hate the loopy feeling they give me, and the fact that most of the time they make me sick to my stomach. How anyone could take those things for any extended period of time is beyond my imagination.

it is sad that the drug seekers have made it hard for doctors to give meds to those truly in pain....and these drugs come and go...remember quaaludes? 714? i still miss someone.....

lol you sound just like hubby.....i remember him being in quite a state....and just fussing at me..that he did not see why or how anyone would do these drugs for fun....i assured him.....pain killers are no fun when you are in pain....i know i have a problem...my urologist gave me morphine in the hospital....there were no sweet dreams i just remember my husband sneezed and i didnt care to say bless you...or fuck you.....just didnt care...next time i was in the hospital....nurse ask me how the pain was....i told her how he gave me a shot of morphine last time and i didnt care for it...she laughed and told me that was what he had for me..that time too...i think he does that on purpose...giving me something that damn strong....i wont touch it....that does not stop me from trying to get pain killers from him ...unless i am in the hospital its a no go....hospital gets 25 good damn pain killers and if i could remember where i hid them...i would be very happy...

Never taken them. I use a non-addictive substance to manage my chronic pain.

MORE

Shadow 355

I am surprised that you had a problem with tylenol 3. I have been taking it, as needed for my back pain, since 1978, and it never caused me any problem, except make me sleepy. It is not really a dangerous drug, and is WAY down the line from things like Oxy. I must have a couple of hundred of them around here somewhere but I have never felt the need to take them when I don't really need them. In fact, I went through a period last year when I did not need to take one for over 6 months. Typically, I take, maybe 5 per month, unless I am going through a period where the pain does not warrant taking them at all..

Deadly drug epidemic in California suspected from China...

California battles drug epidemic that has left 10 dead
Sat, Apr 09, 2016 - DEADLY COUNTERFEITS: The fake Norco painkiller pills laced with a synthetic opioid 50 times as strong as heroin were believed to have been produced in China
Ten people have died in northern California and scores more have overdosed as an epidemic of street drugs laced with a powerful painkiller sweeps the region. Officials said the cases began emerging in the Sacramento area late last month, with the victims — aged between 16 and 67 — ingesting pills they believed to be Norco, a prescription painkiller. The white tablets bought on the street were in fact laced with fentanyl, which is up to 50 times more potent than heroin and up to 100 times more powerful than morphine. “This is the first time we have come across anything like this,” Sacramento County Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman Laura McCasland said.

P07-160409-312.jpg

Counterfeit hydrocodone tablets seized by DEA in an ongoing investigation in California.​

She said the victims, who come from all walks of life and were evenly divided between men and women, reported falling ill within minutes of taking the drug, with some losing consciousness and going into cardiac arrest. As of Wednesday, the illegally sold painkiller had led to 10 deaths and 38 overdoses. “Some of the victims said they obtained the pills from a friend, a family member or a neighbor,” McCasland said. Casey Rettig, a special agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration in San Francisco, said the epidemic is the No. 1 priority in the region, with investigators working round-the-clock to uncover who is behind the fake pills. The fentanyl scare adds yet another layer to a wider opioid epidemic sweeping the US and killing thousands.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), opioids — including prescription pain relievers and heroin — killed more than 28,000 people in the US in 2014, more than in any other year on record. On average, 78 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose, according to the CDC. Health officials say the epidemic is linked to an increasing number of Americans using prescription pain medication and then getting addicted. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid usually prescribed for patients with advanced cancer pain. Rettig said investigators believe the fentanyl-laced pills being sold in the Sacramento area were produced in China and then smuggled into the US through Mexico.

California battles drug epidemic that has left 10 dead - Taipei Times

I had surgery last year and was given oxycodone i like them just fine but I have to say fentanyl puts any other pain killer to shame

I remember waking up in recovery with some serious pain the nurse gave me a few ccs of fentanyl IV

It was AWESOME

Anyone that has had any type of chronic pain knows how ridiculous some government dick saying 'let's get you to physical therapy or some other pain management' is. Those are the bullshit buzzwords, 'pain management'.

They just need to have doctors keep close tabs on what they prescribe and how many. I'd also say that as marijuana is more and more available the pharmacy companies profits for pain killers will take a dive.

But for now 'pain management' is chemical for the most part. Physical therapy usually makes it worse.

Forum List

Back