Oregon daycare employees smoking pot while caring for children

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oh now isn't this special !

Of course it's "medical" marijuana :lol:

More than likely this woman needs "medical" marijuana from diabetes she's given herself from overeating.

I would get my kids the hell out of there the moment I heard about this.

Daycare owners say they smoke medical marijuana with kids in the house

The state is investigating a Salem daycare center for neglect in connection to the use of medical marijuana. The facility’s license is suspended during the investigation.

The owners of Alphabet Academy Learning Center admitted to KATU that staff members smoke with children nearby, but they say they haven’t broken the law.

“It helps with the pain, and it allows me to get up and start walking,” said Charity Araujo, who runs the day care center at her home with her daughter Moriah. “I think anytime anybody brings up, oh my gosh medical marijuana, I think people automatically get concerned.”

Araujo said she, her daughter and a few other staff members have medical marijuana cards but there is always an adult in charge who has not used marijuana. A condition of the daycare license requires “a second adult must be the primary caregiver when the license holder is under the influence of marijuana.”

“They can come in anytime they want and check,” said Araujo. “We always, always are over in staff.”

However, an Oregon Department of Human Services spokesman said medical marijuana falls under an Oregon law that requires not one under the influence “may be in the home when child care children are present.”

Araujo showed KATU News the canopy in her backyard where she said they “medicate.” It’s about 25 feet away from a short, locked fence dividing the backyard from the playground for children in daycare.

When asked if the kids can see staff members smoking, Araujo said they always zip the canopy shut.

“When we medicate, our kids are in the house for nap time,” she added. “Our kids are in the house because they're done for the day.”

A neighbor told KATU she’s seen Araujo’s daughter with two bongs outside the canopy while kids were still outside.

Araujo said she’s not afraid of the investigation.

“They're going to talk to the children and they are going to find out for themselves we haven't done anything inappropriate,” she said. “We followed the rules.”

Parents with children at the daycare have been notified. The state investigation can take up to 30 days.

Daycare owners say they smoke medical marijuana with kids in the house | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

More than likely this woman needs "medical" marijuana from diabetes she's given herself from overeating.

The state is investigating a Salem daycare center for neglect in connection to the use of medical marijuana. The facility’s license is suspended during the investigation.

The owners of Alphabet Academy Learning Center admitted to KATU that staff members smoke with children nearby, but they say they haven’t broken the law.

“It helps with the pain, and it allows me to get up and start walking,” said Charity Araujo, who runs the day care center at her home with her daughter Moriah. “I think anytime anybody brings up, oh my gosh medical marijuana, I think people automatically get concerned.”

Araujo said she, her daughter and a few other staff members have medical marijuana cards but there is always an adult in charge who has not used marijuana. A condition of the daycare license requires “a second adult must be the primary caregiver when the license holder is under the influence of marijuana.”

“They can come in anytime they want and check,” said Araujo. “We always, always are over in staff.”

However, an Oregon Department of Human Services spokesman said medical marijuana falls under an Oregon law that requires not one under the influence “may be in the home when child care children are present.”

Araujo showed KATU News the canopy in her backyard where she said they “medicate.” It’s about 25 feet away from a short, locked fence dividing the backyard from the playground for children in daycare.

When asked if the kids can see staff members smoking, Araujo said they always zip the canopy shut.

“When we medicate, our kids are in the house for nap time,” she added. “Our kids are in the house because they're done for the day.”

A neighbor told KATU she’s seen Araujo’s daughter with two bongs outside the canopy while kids were still outside.

“They're going to talk to the children and they are going to find out for themselves we haven't done anything inappropriate,” she said. “We followed the rules.”

Parents with children at the daycare have been notified. The state investigation can take up to 30 days.

Daycare owners say they smoke medical marijuana with kids in the house | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Tough for her, she needs a job that allows her restrictions. Caring for young children does not. And not all Type II diabetics over eat, I am diabetic, struggled to get from 94 lbs to 105 lbs. No medical pot in Florida and pot will "maybe, possibly" help control BG levels. No question excercise, following the diet prescribed, & meds , will for the vast majority.

Tough for her, she needs a job that allows her restrictions. Caring for young children does not. And not all Type II diabetics over eat, I am diabetic, struggled to get from 94 lbs to 105 lbs. No medical pot in Florida and pot will "maybe, possibly" help control BG levels. No question excercise, following the diet prescribed, & meds , will for the vast majority.

This November, Oregon will legalize pot (there's little doubt the measure will pass). Once that happens, this sort of thing will be happening everywhere.

"Medical" pot was legalized here a few years back. I was conducting an inspection the other day at a large apartment complex. It involved the exterior of the buildings. You could literally smell pot from one end of the complex to the other.
I can only imagine how bad it will be once anyone can use it legally.

This November, Oregon will legalize pot (there's little doubt the measure will pass). Once that happens, this sort of thing will be happening everywhere.

"Medical" pot was legalized here a few years back. I was conducting an inspection the other day at a large apartment complex. It involved the exterior of the buildings. You could literally smell pot from one end of the complex to the other.
I can only imagine how bad it will be once anyone can use it legally.

No worse, IF not less, harmful than alcohol, both should used with caution & sparingly. Never while caring for children(.)

If they end up with no kids to look after, I won't feel bad for them.

God bless you and the kids always!!!

Holly

If they end up with no kids to look after, I won't feel bad for them.

God bless you and the kids always!!!

Holly

I will be unappy if they DO, unless they are tested, take drug education class, same as a DUI, this is just as serious.

So? I work with kids all day and I get high on my way in, high at lunch and I sneak out back and get high again if I think I can get away with it. What's going to happen?

It seems like pretty much everyone at the daycare center is a pothead. Close that place down.

Its probably the most loving and caring daycare in America!

Like 60s hippies never had children right? :) Parents drink booze and get falling down drunk around their kids, but pot's somehow worse? Please.

No need to read anymore. Marijuana and children do not mix. That daycare needs to be shut down ASAP.

Forum List

Back