🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ottawa warns Trump team of retaliation if border tariffs imposed

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Here is a guarantee, Trumps team has to make one suggestion with NAFTA and Ottawa will buckle "allow whistleblower processes for violations of NAFTA". They would be physically sweating at such a suggestion.

Canada has violated NAFTA, the WTO and International Business norms to such a degree that we have no leg to stand on. When I say "violations" I mean in some of the worst ways imaginable. American companies have been nothing but playgrounds for state agents when they operate in Canada, in many instances operating to undermine their prospects in relation to Canadian competition, and maybe worse. There are many Canadians who are aware of these abuses, but the current NAFTA grievance process doesn't give us an outlet. My wife and I paid a steep price for trying to have Canada play fairly with our closest neighbour.

Trump should push hard for a much better deal with NAFTA, without blinking an eye, he should rip up NAFTA and immediately apply a 15-20% tax on all Canadian products crossing the border. Canada simply cannot compete and we are rife with stale leadership in our businesses, many of these people receiving their positions through nepotism and cronyism.

Ottawa warns Trump team of retaliation if border tariffs imposed

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland has warned the Trump administration that Canada could retaliate if the new president imposes tariffs at the border, potentially sparking a trade war between Canada and its largest trading partner.

Ms. Freeland, who met with Mr. Trump’s secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, in Washington Wednesday, said she delivered a message that Ottawa has no appetite for tariff walls and is not afraid to fight back.

“I did make clear that we would be strongly opposed to any imposition of new tariffs between Canada and the United States, that we felt tariffs on exports would be mutually harmful to both Canada and the United States, and that if such an idea were ever to come into being, Canada would respond appropriately,” Ms. Freeland told reporters after her sit-down with Mr. Tillerson.

Mr. Trump was elected in large part on a pledge to renegotiate the North-American Free Trade Agreement between his country, Canada and Mexico, and has floated various protectionist economic measures in hopes of keeping out imports and helping U.S. manufacturing.

So far, the Trudeau government has focused on convincing the U.S. that it has nothing to fear from its free-trade relationship with Canada. But Ms. Freeland’s tone Wednesday signalled Ottawa is willing to pull out a big stick if necessary.

“We do not know what the position of the United States will be when it comes to the notion of tariffs. I took the opportunity to be very clear that Canada thinks that would be a bad idea. I’m pretty confident that Canadians agree with me about that,” she said. “I hope that it was useful for the my American counterparts to hear my views.”

Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't isolated and look what happened to them.

We better be careful as isolation never works.

It's not isolationism, it's called fairness.

Canada has stabbed America in the back in ways you couldn't imagine, and the media in America has painted us as these gentle sweethearts "just like us". No, the nation of Canada is not like America, not even close. We are still a Constitutional Monarchy, allowing ourselves to be run by the same system America claimed Independence from.

Do Americans somehow think that such an arrangement isn't leading to Canada exploitation? Historically coming from Britain, now clearly a Canadian government trait.

Forum List

Back