Our worst maritime disaster

August West

Platinum Member
Sep 5, 2014
Shortly after our Civil War, a greedy steamboat owner packed 2,100 returning soldiers and freed POWs, onto a steamboat designed for a capacity of 376. 1,169 were either blown up or drowned in the Mississippi. After all of the deaths in the war, this disaster didn`t get much attention. That, and the fact that J.W. Booth was on the run at the time, this incident went largely unnoticed.

Shortly after our Civil War, a greedy steamboat owner packed 2,100 returning soldiers and freed POWs, onto a steamboat designed for a capacity of 376. 1,169 were either blown up or drowned in the Mississippi. After all of the deaths in the war, this disaster didn`t get much attention. That, and the fact that J.W. Booth was on the run at the time, this incident went largely unnoticed.

I think you posted this in the wrong area....

You mean the democrat party member who assassinated the first Republican President......

Screenshot_20230623_111024_Facebook.jpg

Steamboats had a bad habit of exploding back then. About one in five.

Back in 2000, the Russians lost a nuclear sub with all hands in the bearing sea if my memory is correct. Being trapped like that has to be the worst type of death. One of my classmates had past family members in the incident mentioned in post 1. The Civil War in the u.s.a. is still having effects to this day.

You mean the democrat party member who assassinated the first Republican President......
We know what the democrat party was several decades ago and we know what party the racists belong to today. How much mileage do you think you can get from Lincoln`s presidency?

There is a small Sultana Disaster Museum in Marion, Arkansas across the Mississippi River from Memphis. I visited it in June 2017. Ground has been broken for a bigger one.

Forum List

Back