🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Panetta to recommend military pay cut

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
KDBC 4 CBS: Panetta to recommend military pay cut

"Panetta will recommend to Congress that military salaries be limited to a 1% increase in 2014.....In 2013, a 1.7% increase was approved, based on the index, which has been the basis for military pay for the last several years....President Obama in 2012 walled off military pay from cuts, so if this current pay plan goes into effect, it's widely seen as "cutting our pay," one military officer familiar with the plan told CNN. "It's a smart move, it puts it in Congress' hands," he said."

I'm not sure you can call this a pay cut, although considering they like to toss around the idea of not sending out paychecks at all, a decrease like this isn't unexpected.

"Panetta will recommend to Congress that military salaries be limited to a 1% increase in 2014.....In 2013, a 1.7% increase was approved, based on the index, which has been the basis for military pay for the last several years....President Obama in 2012 walled off military pay from cuts, so if this current pay plan goes into effect, it's widely seen as "cutting our pay," one military officer familiar with the plan told CNN. "It's a smart move, it puts it in Congress' hands," he said."

I'm not sure you can call this a pay cut, although considering they like to toss around the idea of not sending out paychecks at all, a decrease like this isn't unexpected.

it isn't a paycut. nor is it a freeze.

but its an interesting political move that could force congress to actually do something.

Not exactly a cut.. it is less of a raise.. just like Obama's "budget cuts"

I think they should be getting as much of a % raise as any other federal employee.. but I know, like others, that will never happen.. my military brothers and sisters will always get the shaft

let the sequester roll....if this is part of it, then its got to be.

obama and reid wanted it, they got it.

Defense will have to take the hit. When we shed some more GDP duetot this, well, they wanted to slim donw defense, they own it. (just like they own the slow down which helped tank the GDP Q4 2012 figures).

Not exactly a cut.. it is less of a raise.. just like Obama's "budget cuts"

I think they should be getting as much of a % raise as any other federal employee.. but I know, like others, that will never happen.. my military brothers and sisters will always get the shaft

Washington Post

"The GOP-backed bill introduced late Monday would freeze the salaries of lawmakers and the nation's 2 million federal employees for the remainder of fiscal 2013. Currently, federal worker salaries are frozen through the end of a short-term spending agreement that expires in March"

Typically fed workers get .5%-1% pay increase per year.

Too many military families are already on food stamps or other form of government assistance. This is so fucked. People demand that everyone should be paid a "living wage", but no one deserves it more than they do. However small you perceive this decrease in salary to be, it is flat out wrong.

Another move by Obama and his Administration to further weaken America.

Shame on him!!!!! Disgrace of a man!

I admit my opinion is a bias one, as my husband is active duty. I see how hard he works, typically 15 hour days, and I think he's worth way more than he makes ;)

However, I do think we need to draw down the military, preferably to pre 9-11 levels.

The military usually gets the brunt of it. Public unions are okay. Welfare recipients won't have to give up buying tattooes. Congress will continue living high on the hog. They figure that the troops are already suffering as is it with low pay and often living in horrible conditions, so let's just kick them again. Not like any of them have families to worry about, right? Besides, they are tough, they can take it!

As others have noted, it is not a pay cut.

It is a reduction in pay raise.

While I have a dog in this hunt, I agree with it, as long as all other Federal Employees have the same pay "raise" and no bonuses.

I am not in favor of the reduction in raise. I have to look at the raises historically, "for much of the Iraq and Afghanistan era, lawmakers deliberately set military pay raises at a level slightly above average wage growth in the private sector as measured by the Employment Cost Index, or ECI, a Labor Department tool."
Pentagon to recommend 1% pay raise in 2014 - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

This signals an end to need for the quality/type of personnel needed by the military if the pentagon is willing to lose them to private industry.

The Dear Leader raises Joe Biden's salary and cuts the military ....

Lord .... my contempt for Obama knows no bound, I hate him and all his croonies, more and more each day!

Only in the world of the CEC is this a paycut.

I think they make some valid points. A reduction in the various benefits offered for veterans after retirement is a smart move.

The Tricare policy should be changed. "TRICARE is the name of the military's healthcare program, and even former servicemembers who've been out of the military for years and have jobs in the private sector can keep their family covered under the program for life." Service connected injuries or medical conditions should be covered, but, not family medical unless the ex-service member is totally and permanently disabled as a result of the service connected injury or medical condition. This may be covered through VA.

I think they make some valid points. A reduction in the various benefits offered for veterans after retirement is a smart move.

The Tricare policy should be changed. "TRICARE is the name of the military's healthcare program, and even former servicemembers who've been out of the military for years and have jobs in the private sector can keep their family covered under the program for life." Service connected injuries or medical conditions should be covered, but, not family medical unless the ex-service member is totally and permanently disabled as a result of the service connected injury or medical condition. This may be covered through VA.

Or they could just up the TRICARE premiums for retirees.

The Dear Leader raises Joe Biden's salary and cuts the military ....

Lord .... my contempt for Obama knows no bound, I hate him and all his croonies, more and more each day!

I don't like Obama's policies and I don't like the idea that the military doesn't need a raise. HOWEVER you can compare that with a request by Obama foir pay raises of Congress or the Executive, YOU see a crafty congress in the past passed a law that REQUIRES the President, each year, to recommend pay raises based on the prevailing wages.

He literally had no choice.

Forum List

Back