Parental Stupidity + Gun Cleaning = Dead Kid

The long and short of this story is this IDIOT was cleaning a gun with a bullet IN THE CHAMBER! that is negligent and stupid for ANY gun owner.

Tragic accident? yes, I don't think he meant to shoot his little girls' brains out BUT the FACT remains it's NOT the same as accidently backing over a child with your car who may have run behind there without your knowledge....it's certainly not the same as two brothers playing with a bb gun (which btw, I've been shot with a bb gun and they are very dangerous and children should not be allowed to play with them) and an accident happening.

We are talking about a supposedly RESPONSIBLE adult, who should've known better, cleaning a dangerous weapon, whether the child was in the room or out of the room, with a BULLET remaining in the gun. It's called culpable negligence/involuntary manslaughter. Didn't mean for it to happen but through his own lack of care someone died.

Yes, it is the same. Because a RESPONSIBLE adult would make sure they know where the hell their toddler is before backing the car out.

And sometimes accidents happen with guns. Anyone who has handled them knows that. Just as accidents happen with horses. They're dangerous and one misstep can be a horrible catastrophe.

Yes, it is the same. Because a RESPONSIBLE adult would make sure they know where the hell their toddler is before backing the car out.

And sometimes accidents happen with guns. Anyone who has handled them knows that. Just as accidents happen with horses. They're dangerous and one misstep can be a horrible catastrophe.

Allie, you know you can't win this argument so why even try?

Toddlers are fast little shits...if one parent is in the house and the other is leaving and the child runs out the door to "go with mommy or daddy" and gets hit by the parent leaving that IS a tragic accident. Horrific and tragic but NOT in the same category as a parent cleaning their LOADED GUN in the HOUSE with their CHILD in near proximity.

As for the horse argument give me a break. Accidents with horses v. accidents with guns? are you kidding me?

why can't you righties just admit this guy is a fucking idiot and move on.

I don't advocate him losing his other children. I'm sure he is completely eaten up with guilt. he'll never be the same after this...that IS punishment enough IMO. BUT his daughter is in fact dead because he didn't follow BASIC gun safety rules. Always empty the chamber of your weapon when handling it for anything other than shooting it.

why can't you righties just admit this guy is a fucking idiot and move on.

Ok, maybe he doesn’t deserve to lose his parental rights, but even given the most favorable set of assumptions you must agree with me that this guy is a douche bag. I mean I am not calling for guns to be outlawed, I just thought about it in the context of my shop at home.

If I squashed my kid with an engine block, I wouldn’t call for cherry pickers to be banned, but I would expect some kind of penalty for being a dumb ass and having my kid under the dam thing!

Ok, maybe he doesn’t deserve to lose his parental rights, but even given the most favorable set of assumptions you must agree with me that this guy is a douche bag. I mean I am not calling for guns to be outlawed, I just thought about it in the context of my shop at home.

If I squashed my kid with an engine block, I wouldn’t call for cherry pickers to be banned, but I would expect some kind of penalty for being a dumb ass and having my kid under the dam thing!

yep, the guy is a fucking douchebag idiot.

I'm not calling for guns to be outlawed either but when you are handling something that is INTENDED to KILL, certain precautions should be taken and if they aren't then it goes beyond a SIMPLE mistake.

yep, the guy is a fucking douchebag idiot.

I'm not calling for guns to be outlawed either but when you are handling something that is INTENDED to KILL, certain precautions should be taken and if they aren't then it goes beyond a SIMPLE mistake.

I would not go as far as to say that this person is a "douchebag idiot".. but rather that he is a dad who made an idiotic mistake... a terrible mistake.. .had a lapse in judgment... you can say SO many things... but without all the details, i would not go as far as to blast the guy for a mistake

And as for weapons... SO many things that we have in our daily lives are potentially lethal... we have lethal weapons, even on our kitchen tables and under our cabinets...

Precautions should always be taken... and IF INDEED the further facts show that this guy is actually deserving of a charge (though I personally doubt it), by all means pursue it....

But remember people.. even the most careful parent and gun owner is capable of a simple and tragic mistake

I would not go as far as to say that this person is a "douchebag idiot".. but rather that he is a dad who made an idiotic mistake... a terrible mistake.. .had a lapse in judgment... you can say SO many things... but without all the details, i would not go as far as to blast the guy for a mistake

And as for weapons... SO many things that we have in our daily lives are potentially lethal... we have lethal weapons, even on our kitchen tables and under our cabinets...

Precautions should always be taken... and IF INDEED the further facts show that this guy is actually deserving of a charge (though I personally doubt it), by all means pursue it....

But remember people.. even the most careful parent and gun owner is capable of a simple and tragic mistake

are you seriously trying to compare a kitchen utensil which COULD be used to kill someone with a gun, which is DESIGNED to specifically kill someone?

and I wish you'd stop calling it a mistake... a mistake is answering a question wrong or going left when you meant to go right.... it's not firing a bullet into the head of your 6 year old daughter. Call it an accident if you want but it wasn't a MISTAKE.... and it certainly wasn't simple.

are you seriously trying to compare a kitchen utensil which COULD be used to kill someone with a gun, which is DESIGNED to specifically kill someone?

and I wish you'd stop calling it a mistake... a mistake is answering a question wrong or going left when you meant to go right.... it's not firing a bullet into the head of your 6 year old daughter. Call it an accident if you want but it wasn't a MISTAKE.... and it certainly wasn't simple.

A knife is specifically designed to inflict damage, even lethal damage, on flesh... so yes, I am comparing it...

Just as a lethal weapon such as a knife is also a tool for other things... so is a weapon... they are designed to be projectiles and have other uses besides "killing"... many weapons are designed for sport and not for the lethality of the kill shot...

As stated, silence, you don't have all the details... yet you are quick to pounce because it is a firearm...

Kinda like the infamous statement by Archie Bunker when talking to his daughter about gun murders...

" would you rather they were pushed out of windows little lady?"

What about proving you are unfit in the first place... a mistake does not inherently make someone an unfit parent

Wow. This is such a gray area. I see both sides. I guess that it is based upon each individual circumstance and the details involved. It would be up to the courts to decide if a parent was grossly negligent or made an understandable mistake. To complicate the issue, I think that there are such things as “over-protective parents” who would wrap their kids in bubble-wrap and keep them in padded rooms and literally watch them every second that the kids are awake. Anyway, again I see this as a gray area like points on a continuum. Reasonable people can have differences of opinion. At what point, even in instances where a child dies, is the parent judged to be unfit?

I’ve read of grieving parents who have made simple mistakes that lead to a kid’s death. One parent backed out of his driveway when the child was playing in the yard. The parent backed over the kid. Should this guy never be allowed another chance at being a father?

A parent put a garden sharp-pointed garden tool on the kitchen counter while she and the toddler were in the kitchen. The tool accidently knocked it to the floor. The kid fell onto it before the parent could respond. It punctured the kid’s chest. Should this parent be denied any chance to have responsibility for another child?

No, it's a perfect example of why idiots shouldn't have kids. Why in the world would you have a bullet in the chamber while cleaning your gun?

it IS an example of guns being dangerous, as well as an example of why idiots shouldnt have kids and why they shouldnt own guns.

Marysville girl shot in head dies | Top Stories | KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington

This is not a “Ban Guns” Post but a “Personal Responsibility” Post. As a dad I read this news story and became incredibly pissed off because I know how it’s going to go. The Dad and mom are going to feel horrible but as this was an “accident” no one will need to take responsibility and the father has been “punished enough” due to the loss of his daughter.

Look, I am not a gun guy but I am a car guy and there is no way I am going to let a 6 year old around me while I am pulling an engine or arc welding. In the event that I make the dumb ass call that my kid at 6 is old enough to help me with the cherry picker and she ends up getting crushed by a 350 small block, it’s MY fault pure and simple. I will have made a totally irresponsible parenting decision and I should be punished for it.

Family won’t be better off with the dad in Jail but he should lose parental rights of the 2 remaining kids as he has been shown to be an absolute failure at the main rule for parenting, getting your kids to 18 alive.

Who says the kid was anywhere near him? Depends on the type of gun and the ammo. My brother in law stupidly left the round in the chamber and it went off when he was cleaning his gun, went through the floor, through the car, and into the cement down below.

It was a tragic accident. Yes the guy was stupid, but I don't necessarily means he should lose his rights to his kids.

simple mistake? are you shitting me? a simple mistake does NOT result in the death of your child from a bullet wound to the head DD. you're making excuses for the inexcusable.

This is why GUN CONTROL laws are important. basic gun safety instruction was obviously needed for this idiot if he didn't KNOW you should always check and empty the chamber before you begin cleaning your weapon.

My brother in law is an ex cop and HE accidently left a round in the chamber while cleaning his gun.

I do, however, think basic gun safety should be taught in all our highschools.

No, it's a perfect example of why idiots shouldn't have kids. Why in the world would you have a bullet in the chamber while cleaning your gun?

Some people forget sometimes. Happened to my brother in law and he's an ex-cop.

Unless something else comes out, like he was drunk or something, I don't see any reason to castigate him. Seems to me, the loss of your child is the absolutly worst thing that can happen to you anyway.

holy shit... we're two for two today chic.... should we be concerned that the End is near? I think I'm headin to Alaska pronto... :eek:

Who says the kid was anywhere near him? Depends on the type of gun and the ammo. My brother in law stupidly left the round in the chamber and it went off when he was cleaning his gun, went through the floor, through the car, and into the cement down below.

It was a tragic accident. Yes the guy was stupid, but I don't necessarily means he should lose his rights to his kids.

why would ANYONE need ammo that powerful?

Some people forget sometimes. Happened to my brother in law and he's an ex-cop.

Unless something else comes out, like he was drunk or something, I don't see any reason to castigate him. Seems to me, the loss of your child is the absolutly worst thing that can happen to you anyway.

It should never happen... and no one should ever forget. If you forget what's in your gun, you shouldn't have one.

Forum List

Back