Patent, Patent, who's got a Patent

Pop23

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2013
If you have one, what's it for?

How big of a hassle is it to get one?

Is it possible to do a preliminary search prior to going through the expense?

Yes, there is a reason I ask, but would love to hear from anyone owning a patent what the patent is for?

Patent..patent? I haven't a patent.

You found a way to make beer economically and earth friendly, and tastes like liquid gold, didn't you?
Yes, do some research first and get the feel of what is right for you and what it is that you are wanting to patent.
Just Google 'patent' and go from there...start here to get a feel of what it entails:

Patent Your Invention | InventionHome.com

There are so many scams relating to patents.

I won't go into to many details. It's an accessory for a homes gutter system. There are other things on the market that does the same thing, but they suck. Mine actually works, needs no tools to install, and if removed, does not scar the gutters.

Truth is, it's for only one type of system so the market is not large, maybe 5% of all homes have this, and the mark up would only be so/so. So it would not make anyone rich.

I've done some research and can't find anything close to it. The people I've spoken to in the home improvement world love it and would sell it if I supplied them, but again, in small quantities.

The reason I asked is it seems I have a few options.

Seek the patent, and hope the investment pans out.

Just market it without and make a few extra bucks

And lastly, which I kind of like. Give the product to a charity to have, let them find a pro-bono attorney to get the patent, and feel good that I helped them and still get credit for inventing a pretty cool item.

There is a local organization that helps people with mental and physical challenges that could use this as a product that their members could build and sell.

I'm really leaning that way.

Last edited:
Maybe 5%... give the product to a charity...

Sounds like...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO7k-Mn948s]Yes - Five Per Cent For Nothing - YouTube[/ame]

I held a copyright once, but that's a different ballgame.
I've had three instruction manuals copyrighted, and three pairs of patent-leather schools from the first grade through high school, and a patent leather black bag.

There are a lot of used books on the subject out there:

51F8k5RSPmL._SY300_.jpg

Pop, the best way to skip the scams is to approach a reputable patent attorney. Expensive yes, but would pay dividends in the long run.

You can get the design copyrighted right away. It's not the same thing as a patent, but it does give some protections. The patent process can take a long time. Consult a reputable attorney in town, he or she may know a good patent attorney. Initial consultations are usually low-cost or free.

One of these days I'm going to have officially apply for copyrights for about a thousand original translations my organization has created.

One of the family myths is that my GF invented the electric pin ball machine and sold his rights to it to Wurlitzer for $500 back in the early XXth century.

No idea if its true, but if it is?

Bummer!

You can get the design copyrighted right away. It's not the same thing as a patent, but it does give some protections. The patent process can take a long time. Consult a reputable attorney in town, he or she may know a good patent attorney. Initial consultations are usually low-cost or free.

That's an excellent idea. Gonna check that one out! At least that appears to protect my idea should I decide to pitch it to retailers!

That's an excellent idea. Gonna check that one out! At least that appears to protect my idea should I decide to pitch it to retailers!
You can also contact the U. S. Patent office here: Public Search Facility

My experience has been if you find their phone # which was an 800 number back when I contacted the Copyright branch of the Library of Congress, they will help you file your own patent. Many attorneys who do help people with patents do so after the rest of their practice is up to date, which puts you dead last, which can be two or three years later. They do deal with inventors one on one. And they will tell you what to do and how to go about patenting your invention. I hope you make the megabucks, pop. Good luck.

Forum List

Back