ID Theft - If you think this can't happen to you, then you should take a look at this post

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
In 2021, approximately 23.9 million people (9% of U.S. residents aged 16 or older) had been victims of identity theft in the previous 12 months. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. About 8 years ago, I received an email from my credit card company stating that I had reached the limit on charges, $15,000. Initially, I thought it was a bank error, but a few hours later I received a call from the fraud department. They confirmed that I was a victim of identity theft and assured me that all charges would be removed, and a new credit card would be issued. I checked all my account balances and everything seemed fine, so I assumed it was all over.

A couple of months later, a friend suggested I freeze my credit by contacting the three credit bureaus. It was a hassle, but I did it and thought that was the end of it.

One Monday morning a few weeks later, I got a phone call from a bank in another state informing me that my equity loan for $50,000 had been approved. I informed them that I never applied for such a loan. They were surprised but agreed to cancel the application. The bank officer mentioned that she had all my personal information including my address, birth date, social security number, and the name and address of my employer. It was then that I realized the seriousness of the situation. Within a week, I started receiving phone calls from numerous financial institutions about loans, maxed out credit cards, new bank accounts, etc. I knew my credit was ruined, and this was only the beginning. So, I contacted a legal firm that specialized in identity theft. I provided them with notarized documents detailing what had happened, all of my personal information, and letters of character reference. After 3 or 4 years of dodging bill collectors, receiving overdue bill notices, having no credit, and paying a legal firm $10,000, I finally felt whole again. I was issued a new social security number, driver's license number, new financial accounts, and an ID Theft alert on all credit bureaus and various state and federal agencies. It was an eye-opening experience, but not one I would wish upon anyone.

While you cannot completely protect yourself from identity theft, there are many steps you can take to greatly reduce the likelihood. Hopefully, we can discuss some of these in this thread.

Last edited:
It happened to me in January, someone accessed my Debit Card and ran up $3,000 in Houston Texas. I was able to quickly freeze the card but it took a while to get the funds back.

It happened to me in January, someone accessed my Debit Card and ran up $3,000 in Houston Texas. I was able to quickly freeze the card but it took a while to get the funds back.
I never found out how these crooks got all my information. Did you find out how they got access using you debt card.

Both my crdit cars have been cancelled, 1 of em twice in the last 6months. Dobt know why a credit caed would need a virtual wallet but thats how they were getting in.

I never found out how these crooks got all my information. Did you find out how they got access using you debt card.
No idea
The bank kept saying I failed to report the card as stolen and I told them I still had the card

I have a credit hold with the big three credit bureaus so that no one can start a new credit card with my personal info. unless I'm reached at my phone number on file, I've been nailed a couple times, I even know who is responsible but have found out how little there is you can do against them.

Both my crdit cars have been cancelled, 1 of em twice in the last 6months. Dobt know why a credit caed would need a virtual wallet but thats how they were getting in.
After my experiences, I have become much less enthralled with digital wallets, credit card and banking apps. I keep my credit locked nearly all the time and check my financial accounts weekly.

Most people think that if they are a victims of id theft, they are protected and all financial institutions will refund any funds taken. That is not so.

I have a credit hold with the big three credit bureaus so that no one can start a new credit card with my personal info. unless I'm reached at my phone number on file, I've been nailed a couple times, I even know who is responsible but have found out how little there is you can do against them.
And that is what is so damn frustrating. You have no way of knowing who is doing this to you or how they are doing and it is very unlikely they will get caught.

I don't know why everyone does not keep their credit locked. Today you can lock and unlock it in a few minutes and if you get a sign on to the credit agencies, you can do it yourself for nothing.

Never use a debit card on line or for gas where the number and code can be stolen... get an American Express card and use it... pay it off every month and you won't get dinged for interest charges.... and if you have a dispute they take your side only....
I have two debit cards from two banks and they never see the light of day....

And that is what is so damn frustrating. You have no way of knowing who is doing this to you or how they are doing and it is very unlikely they will get caught.

I don't know why everyone does not keep their credit locked. Today you can lock and unlock it in a few minutes and if you get a sign on to the credit agencies, you can do it yourself for nothing.
How do you do it?

In 2021, approximately 23.9 million people (9% of U.S. residents aged 16 or older) had been victims of identity theft in the previous 12 months. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. About 8 years ago, I received an email from my credit card company stating that I had reached the limit on charges, $15,000. Initially, I thought it was a bank error, but a few hours later I received a call from the fraud department. They confirmed that I was a victim of identity theft and assured me that all charges would be removed, and a new credit card would be issued. I checked all my account balances and everything seemed fine, so I assumed it was all over.

A couple of months later, a friend suggested I freeze my credit by contacting the three credit bureaus. It was a hassle, but I did it and thought that was the end of it.

One Monday morning a few weeks later, I got a phone call from a bank in another state informing me that my equity loan for $50,000 had been approved. I informed them that I never applied for such a loan. They were surprised but agreed to cancel the application. The bank officer mentioned that she had all my personal information including my address, birth date, social security number, and the name and address of my employer. It was then that I realized the seriousness of the situation. Within a week, I started receiving phone calls from numerous financial institutions about loans, maxed out credit cards, new bank accounts, etc. I knew my credit was ruined, and this was only the beginning. So, I contacted a legal firm that specialized in identity theft. I provided them with notarized documents detailing what had happened, all of my personal information, and letters of character reference. After 3 or 4 years of dodging bill collectors, receiving overdue bill notices, having no credit, and paying a legal firm $10,000, I finally felt whole again. I was issued a new social security number, driver's license number, new financial accounts, and an ID Theft alert on all credit bureaus and various state and federal agencies. It was an eye-opening experience, but not one I would wish upon anyone.

While you cannot completely protect yourself from identity theft, there are many steps you can take to greatly reduce the likelihood. Hopefully, we can discuss some of these in this thread.
Freezing all three credit bureaus is easy. Takes about 10 minutes online. You should also sign up with a monitoring/protection service. I use Aura.

No idea
The bank kept saying I failed to report the card as stolen and I told them I still had the card
That sounds like some organization you purchased from stored your card data and they got hacked. Hackers sell information like names, addresses, phone numbers, places of employment to legitimate background research services. Really personal id information such as birth dates, social security numbers, driver's license numbers, credit card information, etc are sold to data banks on the dark web who form complete profiles by combining them with information from the background research services. The resulting profile records contain all the information needed to open up credit card accounts and bank accounts, etc. Thus, a few hundred of these profiles records can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars on the dark web.

Never use a debit card on line or for gas where the number and code can be stolen... get an American Express card and use it... pay it off every month and you won't get dinged for interest charges.... and if you have a dispute they take your side only....
Check the keypad at the gas station. see if you can get a fingernail under it and pull it off. scammer stuff isn't usually to solidly attached so they can take it off quickly.

JUst go to each website. Transunion, Equifax, and Experian and create an account. The sites will walk you through the rest.
One thing people need to keep in mind is that in addition to Credit issuers and lenders, there are many other organization that will run your name and id. For example, employers evaluating applications, volunteer services, rental apartment managers, insurance companies, etc. It's good idea that if you are making any application for loans, credit, jobs, insurance, etc. to ask whether your id will be run against credit bureaus so you will know that you need to unlock them.

With a credit card, the card issuer must fight to get its money back. With a debit card, you must fight to get your money back.

A fraudulent credit card transaction - No Liability if reported in 60 days
Over 60 days, maximum liability is $50.

Debit Card -
No liability if reported before fraudulent use.
If reported within 2 days, liability is $50
If reported with 60 days, liability is $500
If reported after 60 days, liability is the amount of fraudulent use; that is, there is no protection.
This is according federal law. Some banks offer additional protection. However, most banks put additional restrictions on their policy such as require you check your account weekly, never record your pin number, never share your card, or use an additional security code etc...

If you have a debit card and want to protect yourself, go to the security area of the banks web site and under alerts specify a maximum amount of ATM withdrawal and a maximum amount of a debit card transaction. I have my alerts set to $1 so I get a text with any use of my debit card.

Last edited:
One thing people need to keep in mind is that in addition to Credit issuers and lenders, there are many other organization that will run your name and id. For example, employers evaluating applications, volunteer services, rental apartment managers, insurance companies, etc. It's good idea that if you are making any application for loans, credit, jobs, insurance, etc. to ask whether your id will be run against credit bureaus so you will know that you need to unlock them.
they tend to be regional, so find out which and unlock it. Transunion here in the midwest.

Check the keypad at the gas station. see if you can get a fingernail under it and pull it off. scammer stuff isn't usually to solidly attached so they can take it off quickly.
Good idea, I never thought about that. Stealing your credit card information may result in a lot of bogus charges but if reported in a timely manner the credit card company will remove all those charges, cancel your card and usually issue you a new one. The company may choose not to issue you a new card if they consider you a high credit risk due to events such as changes in your credit score, a number of previous fraudulent charges, or you a new customer. However, for most people fraudulent charges on credit cards are just an inconvenience.

A true lost of identity is far more serious. That can result in loss of credit, lost of your money, and in some cases your job and in rare cases your life. Unfortunately, most people either are not aware of how to protect themselves or they just don't take the issue seriously.

I was hoping that we could discuss some ways people can protect themselves on this thread. I learned the hard way.

I know exactly who is responsible. I tell the parties who have been fleeced what his name is, and a few times I have had to send them statements from my employer showing the hours I was clocked in when the offenses occured, eliminating me geographically.

Even though I know his full name, I don't know his address, and it presently is New Orleans, or at least it was. I have not had any issues for over 10 years, so he could be dead for all I know. The thing is, even knowing who is responsible won't accomplish anything for you if that person is known to not have a fixed address. All of these offenses have taken place in different states. Not having a drivers license he gives them all my personal information and looks enough like me that he can pass for my DL photo. I guess that is why he stole my license after I lost my wallet.

It is up to each one of us to lock up our personal data, and put roadblocks in the way of someone using it.

Forum List

Back