Penney's going bankrupt

Who the fuk shops at JC Penny anyway?

They have quality men's clothing at a great price.

I guess that would depend on what you call quality mens clothing.
Didnt have to worry about work clothes. All I need is rugged outdoor clothes and camo.
Neither of which is available at Pennies.

I buy all of my cargo shorts and polo shirts there.
Their sale prices can't be beat for the quality.

I mean rugged.
Like Duluth Trading company stuff.
Used to buy a lot of my stuff from Bass Pro and they wouldnt last a season.

I guess that would depend on what you call quality mens clothing.
Didnt have to worry about work clothes. All I need is rugged outdoor clothes and camo.
Neither of which is available at Pennies.

I buy all of my cargo shorts and polo shirts there.
Their sale prices can't be beat for the quality.

I mean rugged.
Like Duluth Trading company stuff.
Used to buy a lot of my stuff from Bass Pro and they wouldnt last a season.

Penny's carries a brand called Foundry.
I had a similar experience with Bass Pro and went back to the Foundry brand cause they wear like steel over time.

It's been bad at Penny's for many years now. The virus is just speeding up their demise.

Once Walmart left the rural areas and moved into the cities and suburbs, it really was the beginning of the end for Sears, Wards, and Penny's.

At one time Penny's was a full fledge department store. I worked for Penny's for years, and there was a time we had a full line if products, even our own tools, just like Sears Craftsman. At Penny's they were "Penncraft", and I still have many of the products, including wrenches, ratchets, sockets, you name it. If Sears had it , we mist likely had a counter product.
'Foremost' bicycles were another product as well. We even carried building materials, and most larger stores had automotive centers.

It's been bad at Penny's for many years now. The virus is just speeding up their demise.

Once Walmart left the rural areas and moved into the cities and suburbs, it really was the beginning of the end for Sears, Wards, and Penny's.

At one time Penny's was a full fledge department store. I worked for Penny's for years, and there was a time we had a full line if products, even our own tools, just like Sears Craftsman. At Penny's they were "Penncraft", and I still have many of the products, including wrenches, ratchets, sockets, you name it. If Sears had it , we mist likely had a counter product.
'Foremost' bicycles were another product as well. We even carried building materials, and most larger stores had automotive centers.
Yes Penney;s was a full fledged department store back in the late 60's . I bought my first surfboard at the Penney's at the Biscayne Shopping Plaza in Miami.

Penny's also has a great drape dept..
2 years ago my wife and I were looking for a more orange colored type of drape. No one had the color we were looking for as everything offered at most other places was a dank rust or Tuscany color. Even searched the internet.
Finally ended up at Penny's. The sales person found the color we needed and ordered them.
The internet does not replace the human touch and service and some items/services that one can get in person.
I know I sound like an ad for Penny's, but I've had consistent good shopping experiences there and will be a tad sadder if they go under.

I used to shop there a lot.

They had ridiculously low prices on decent clothes. I'd buy a nice polo shirt, normally $28, for $12.

Then within the last two years those prices went up... way up. This was when they were starting to close stores and looking into filing. I went in one time to buy some shirts, and my bill was over $100 for four shirts. I declined. The store was closed within a month of that.

It's silly, ignorant, really, to believe that Penney's is going into bankruptcy because Ellen DeGeneres was a spokesperson or because they'd "embraced" a "homosexual lifestyle". They're going into bankruptcy for the same reason any other business goes into bankruptcy: changing markets and a poor response to those changing markets...

Guess I need to start looking for a new internet provider, Spectrum ( used to be Charter where I live). They have Ellen doing voice overs for their mobile service.
Spectrum is owned by Charter. You really should push for Cox.

No, Spectrum is NOT owned by Charter. My wife works for Spectrum. You are a dumbass!

I used to shop there a lot.

They had ridiculously low prices on decent clothes. I'd buy a nice polo shirt, normally $28, for $12.

Then within the last two years those prices went up... way up. This was when they were starting to close stores and looking into filing. I went in one time to buy some shirts, and my bill was over $100 for four shirts. I declined. The store was closed within a month of that.

It's silly, ignorant, really, to believe that Penney's is going into bankruptcy because Ellen DeGeneres was a spokesperson or because they'd "embraced" a "homosexual lifestyle". They're going into bankruptcy for the same reason any other business goes into bankruptcy: changing markets and a poor response to those changing markets...

Our Penny's prices have stayed sane here in Vegas, as my wife is a whiz at using dept. store coupons/sales.
Anyways, no one can compete against younger internet purchasing generations that have taken over.
I do think that women still enjoy the social aspect of shopping together, but I might be wrong as concerns younger women.

How many stores are still in business? The write up doesn't say except that 200 locations may close.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. My local JCPenny closed in 2016.

I used to until about 4 years ago. At the same time that the new CEO killed off all the coupons promotions, our local store started looking like a Goodwill. They were piling crap everywhere in no particular order and it went from having too many pesty "May I help you" people to having nobody whatsoever to help you.

The last thing the Wife and I bought at JC Penny was a refrigerator.
The damn thing is still going strong after 28 years and has never been serviced.
And thats with most of its life spent out in the garage.

My grandparents had an upright freezer they bought from Sears like that. Lasted well over 40 years and only went out when the cord shorted out and they decided to go ahead and ditch it since it was starting to rust on the outside.

JC Penny's big problem in the short term was that the Dow had already given it notice that it was going to be delisted in June unless they did a reverse split to get prices back above a dollar. Since then the venture capitalists have been driving the prices down to improve their position, ultimately resulting in this bankruptcy. Its problem really began when Warren Buffett got bullish on JCP several years ago and all the "If Warren likes it, we need to be in" capitalists rushed in and then blocked JCP from being able to do anything that looked like change for far too long.

As a consumer, my problem has always been that our local mall store has always been poorly designed and cramped. My parents stopped shopping with them regularly when they moved to the mall and did away with shopping carts. A big PITA to have no cart when you are back to school/christmas shopping for multiple children.

Pennys, Sears, Wards.....all victims of Bezos' Amazon.com. The world moved on...tired of getting shot at, raped, and robbed by the darkies in the malls.

It'll be sad when they're gone.
Back in the day, when you went shopping, you were likely headed to Sears, Penny's or Montgomery Wards.

Yep, Americans buying American-made goods that lasted too long sometimes. When I was a little kid I'd look through their catalogs for hours at stuff you could buy.

It'll be sad when they're gone.
Back in the day, when you went shopping, you were likely headed to Sears, Penny's or Montgomery Wards.

Along with Sears and Penney's, we also had a few regional chains in New York when I was a kid: Abraham & Strauss (known as "A&S"), Korvette's, Klein's, Billy Blake's and Grant's. I don't remember there ever being a Montgomery Ward's on Long Island, though...

Oh, women don't have a monopoly on that. You should see me and my buddies when we walk into a camera store...

Holding hands and kissing each other no doubt, homo

It must be sad, this pitiful existence you lead of having no friends and finding your self-worth in making childish comments to adults.

I'm bettin' you were just two beers away from bein' a blowjob...

A few years ago, JC Penney's decided to embrace the homosexual lifestyle and name Ellen DeGeneres as a spokesperson, as I remember.

The Homosexual Community that they decided to embrace has abandoned them, and that was that. If you remember when the Dixie Chicks decided to tell their traditional fans to "Get Lost" as they were going to seek a more sophisticated audience which was less deplorable. That was basically it for them at the top of the charts. This is the same.

Of course it has nothing to do with them not keeping up with the times like Amazon-style businesses.

Forum List

Back