• Keith Moon

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Gene Krupa

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Buddy Rich

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course it's John Henry Bonham. Just one listen to "When The Levee Breaks" and you'll hear him playing drums like a lead guitarist would. He never just tapped out the beat like Ringo did, he could actually drive the song forward by himself.

I saw Led Zep at The Forum in L.A. in August of 1977. Bonzo did a twenty minute drum solo!

Last edited:
Of course it's John Henry Bonham. Just one listen to "When The Levee Breaks" and you'll hear him playing drums like a lead guitarist would. He never just tapped out the beat like Ringo did, he could actually drive the song forward by himself.

I saw Led Zep at The Forum in L.A. in August of 1977. Bonzo did a twenty minute drum solo!

yeah, he was almost as good at playing lead drums as keith moon, who invented it. listen to any old Who- drums are the lead instrument.

Keith Moon was the best. A lesser known drummer that was great was Cozy Powell who played with Ritchie Blackmore in Rainbow and also with Black Sabbath, Michael Schenker and Whitesnake. He died in a car crash in 1998.

A drummer survey and Ginger Baker isn't included?

see [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87rBka3GhYc]YouTube - Cream - Toad - Drum Solo[/ame]

There's others there, that capture "Toad" played in Cream's heyday.

Toad was the song which really started that whole period where every RnR song included a ten minute drum solo, folks.

I confess I can't choose the "best" drummer because to my untrained ear, they all sound like "the best" when I'm listening to them.

Forum List

Back