Politics and Friendship

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Lately, it seems as if more and more friendships are contingent on political views. It is saddening to say the least. I was born in a generation where that wasn't always the case, it remains so with me. I was watching a story on the news yesterday about Cal Thomas and Bob Beckel, who have been good friends for decades. Thomas is a Conservative columnist, Beckel is a Democratic strategist, and an advisor to the ill fated Mondale campaign. I heard Cal Thomas mentioning how dear to him Beckel was as a friend, and so on. What that told me, was that mature adults with heads on their shoulders don't let politics get in the way of a good friendship.

Politics can be derisive, as anyone on this board can attest. It can get downright ugly at times. Foxfyre and syrenn have done superb jobs in bridging that gap between politics and friendship, by eliminating politics from the discussion altogether. Although not perfect, the efforts they have put into The Coffee Shop and The Tavern are acts of valorous dedication to the cohesion of the posting community, but I digress.

I have fallen victim to the friendships that have ended over political viewpoints. In January 2011, I met a woman from my hometown living in Germany. Until this past March we had grown close as friends. During the holiday season that year, she invited me to dinner, only to inform me that she was a lesbian. Unfortunately I didn't hear her introduce her partner, as she merely introduced her partner to me, never once indicating such a revelation. However, later, the oppression of my political views were becoming apparent. She reminded me that she was homosexual, much to my amazement, in a Facebook conversation that arose from some comments I made on another political forum. I had to watch what I said around her and tone down my statements in order to keep from offending her.

This woman helped me look for employment, put in good words to the bigwigs around town and asked them to look out for me if I should come calling. It was a good friendship, which lasted just over a year and a half. She had me going, and I didn't let her being lesbian get in the way of a meaningful friendship. But alas, she did. It came to a head right before the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage. I had my view and she had hers, ultimately we parted ways when for some unknown reason she got the idea that I didn't tolerate her ways. I didn't. But I never brought it up. I was tolerant and more than generous to her beliefs.

When her dog died, I was there for her, reaching out. I didn't for the slightest reason let politics or social issues enter in. But somehow, me being a Christian, or a Republican (at the time) finally got to her. She succumbed to the curse of identity politics. This woman presented me with an impossible and unfair dilemma. She was due to become married to her partner in June. She asked me if I would be supportive of her decision, and when I said I would not, stating my religious beliefs, wishing her all of the best, she launched into a verbal tirade; a tirade only expected from someone of her political standpoint. We went our separate ways not soon after. She ended our friendship on something as petty as my view on gay marriage. I made it clear she was not going to suppress my free speech and make our friendship contingent on my compliance.

I'm telling you now, do not let politics damage or end your friendships. Don't be so petty as to allow it to happen. Real friends don't judge you by your viewpoints, but your actions as a person. Don't give in to the practice of prejudging someone. Don't allow yourself to see someone as a Republican or Democrat only to judge their character from that affiliation.

True friendships endure the test of politics, they stand the rigors of religious and cultural differences. Keep your friends close and be tolerant, but also be willing to speak your mind. If you and your friends can agree to tolerate each others differences, then such a friendship is bound to prosper. If not, you are merely wasting your time.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. It's a matter of perspective.

What you saw as a "petty thing" was probably not "petty" to her at all. I know I'd probably take it pretty bad if someone I considered a friend refused to acknowledge an important part of my life.

Here's the thing. It's a matter of perspective.

What you saw as a "petty thing" was probably not "petty" to her at all. I know I'd probably take it pretty bad if someone I considered a friend refused to acknowledge an important part of my life.

Lets get one thing straight here. She and I were on the terms of tolerance. She knew full well what my views were, and she still chose to be my friend, and on the same note she ditched me for the same reasons. I have another friend in Canada who is gay. He knew I didn't tolerate gay marriage. All I had to do was be his friend, I never let my views or his views contaminate our friendship. Now, it has come to the point where I got a gift from him for just being a friend. I never condoned his marriage, but I did congratulate him and wish him the best. Yet, here we are still friends. I befriended an intern at the University of Georgia during my work as a Janitor who was gay. He still resides on my Facebook friends list. It appears to me that they don't let politics or social issues dictate their friendships. Does it occur to you that you shouldn't make assumptions about me, sir?

It's utterly pathetic if you think a friendship should be contingent on agreeing with a friend's views for which you disagree with. I see abandoning a friend for their politics as petty. What people do with their own lives is none of my business. But if you ask me for my support or rejection of such lifestyle, it makes it my business. If you don't like the answer, that isn't my fault. If you know full well what my answer was going to be, why did you seek me out?

I don't care much for your reasoning, Doc.

Last edited:
When a person's politics are abhorrent, and disgusting, then the friendship needs to be severed. I am not friends with people who feel compelled to prate to me about the beauty of social engineering and welfare programs. I don't hang out with people who defend legalized baby killing. We can be acquaintances, as long as they keep their mouths shut (and I do the same) but in real life, like here, I defend my views. And I do it well.

My very best friend is a liberal, but thankfully we don't see each other all that often and when we do, it's family
and fun, and not politics between us. But it's immoral not to speak out against things you know are wrong, if those things are harmful to people. And that's where we are.

I seriously don't care about the sexual orientation of people...I have many friends who are homosexual. We do not discuss politics (and most of them are actually quite conservative in their politics and their faith). As long as they aren't trying to shove an agenda at me, I'm fine...and they never do.

Relax, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just suggesting possibly thinking about it from her perspective.

This isn't about right and wrong, this is about feelings getting hurt.

I see that. But I did see things from her point of view, that's how I kept that friendship alive, even after she became aware of my faith based values. She suddenly decided to vacate the friendship based on those values. She suddenly decided to put me on the spot, she wagered our friendship and we both lost. I was not willing to sacrifice what I believed in to capitulate to the demands of an alleged friend who supposedly tolerated my stances.

This is why I explain why politics and religion should never come between friends

Honestly though, I don't have a lot of time to nurture intense relationships anyway. I'm too busy, and I have my family, and community contacts, and church...cripes I don't need or want more friends. I don't have time to shave my legs as it is.

When a person's politics are abhorrent, and disgusting, then the friendship needs to be severed. I am not friends with people who feel compelled to prate to me about the beauty of social engineering and welfare programs. I don't hang out with people who defend legalized baby killing. We can be acquaintances, as long as they keep their mouths shut (and I do the same) but in real life, like here, I defend my views. And I do it well.

My very best friend is a liberal, but thankfully we don't see each other all that often and when we do, it's family
and fun, and not politics between us. But it's immoral not to speak out against things you know are wrong, if those things are harmful to people. And that's where we are.

I seriously don't care about the sexual orientation of people...I have many friends who are homosexual. We do not discuss politics (and most of them are actually quite conservative in their politics and their faith). As long as they aren't trying to shove an agenda at me, I'm fine...and they never do.

So, should not a friendship be contingent on honesty, not deception? Since when should friends hide things from each other? I'm just curious...

I don't worry too much about other people's honesty. I'm not all about telling them how to live their lives, and how to be true to themselves, nor am I all about inserting myself into every aspect of their lives. I don't think it's dishonest to acknowledge that you have different concepts...but can remain friends without constantly discussing your differences. That's not deception. It's just socially acceptable behavior.

But, like I said, I don't have time or the inclination to get tight with people with a vastly different viewpoint than I do anyway. I dunno. I just don't see the point of maintaining a super tight relationship with someone with a completely different view. I have no respect for them, ultimately, and it's a lot of work for nothing. Which it looks like you found out.

It's not more valuable than your devotion to God. You can't be true to friends, if in doing so, you are betraying God. That means condoning behavior that is abhorrent to God...we can't do that. We're supposed to hold ourselves apart from other people. Sometimes those other people are people we like...even family.
If my best friend ever made me choose between her my faith, I would choose my faith. If she ever said "you must condone this or we can't be friends" I wouldn't condone it. And we've been friends for a very, very long time.

I think maybe friendship would be more important to me if I didn't have a large family. As it is, there are members of my family that I don't want to associate with (and don't)...let alone people I haven't known all my life. Meh.

You condemned her marriage and she chose her relationship with her wife over you

That is the way these things work. Broaden your horizons or get used to losing friends

At least the depraved ones who try to force you to condone their behavior openly.

That's called "recanting". People have killed Christians for 2000 years because they refuse to do it. They aren't going to start now.

Sounds to me like his homo friend is shunning him. After surprising him with something she'd been hiding from him, and then telling him to accept it or else.

Sounds to me like his homo friend is shunning him. After surprising him with something she'd been hiding from him, and then telling him to accept it or else.

All he needs to say is.....I wish you the best in your life and hope you are happy

Condemning her relationship draws a line in which she must choose sides. Understandably she chose against TK

Forum List

Back