Poll: Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

• Total voters
I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?
Ugh, things have deadlines. Especially important things like this election. It would make sense for out SCOTUS to step in if need be. Branches of government, big guy.

And the deadline is having the ballot in possession of the postal service at midnight on the day of the election.

BS, that's not the case in PA, it says the ballot has to be in the possession of elections officials on election day. The State Supreme court unilaterally decided to give an extra 3 days. Roberts sided with the commies to not accept the emergency appeal.

Yes, I know, but for as long as I can remember, on election light, there was always a line of cars driving past a P.O. Box in front of the post office, with a postal employee standing there incase a voter dropped his ballot before it got into the box. The radio assured that f you were in that line by midnight, your ballot would be postmarked by midnight.

I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?

Of course you do....
All dems are in favor of all avenues that allow cheating.

Credible proof? Democrats aren't the ones engaging in voter suppression.
They are the ones engaged in voter fraud.

Exactly.

Ugh, things have deadlines. Especially important things like this election. It would make sense for out SCOTUS to step in if need be. Branches of government, big guy.

And the deadline is having the ballot in possession of the postal service at midnight on the day of the election.

BS, that's not the case in PA, it says the ballot has to be in the possession of elections officials on election day. The State Supreme court unilaterally decided to give an extra 3 days. Roberts sided with the commies to not accept the emergency appeal.

Yes, I know, but for as long as I can remember, on election light, there was always a line of cars driving past a P.O. Box in front of the post office, with a postal employee standing there incase a voter dropped his ballot before it got into the box. The radio assured that f you were in that line by midnight, your ballot would be postmarked by midnight.

Different States have different laws, if a law is to be changed, it's up to the legislature of the State, not the courts. PA is holding ballots aside that are received after the legal deadline and those ballots could ultimately be thrown out. Look, it's not like the legislatures just learned of the pandemic, if they wanted to alter their laws, there was plenty of time to do it.

Different States have different laws, if a law is to be changed, it's up to the legislature of the State, not the courts. PA is holding ballots aside that are received after the legal deadline and those ballots could ultimately be thrown out. Look, it's not like the legislatures just learned of the pandemic, if they wanted to alter their laws, there was plenty of time to do it.

Blue state governors unilaterlally changed their state's voter laws, like making mail in voting legal. That should be unconstitutional. Perhaps the SC will throw all these mailed in ballots out.

Blue state governors unilaterlally changed their state's voter laws, like making mail in voting legal. That should be unconstitutional. Perhaps the SC will throw all these mailed in ballots out.

It is unconstitutional, the Constitution assigns the responsibility to State legislatures to set the rules for their elections. Neither the governors or State courts have the power to unilaterally change the laws.

It is unconstitutional, the Constitution assigns the responsibility to State legislatures to set the rules for their elections. Neither the governors or State courts have the power to unilaterally change the laws.

So what's going to happen with all these mail-in ballots that were ordered by state governors?

So what's going to happen with all these mail-in ballots that were ordered by state governors?

That's a good question. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say not a damn thing. It's a little hard to do anything at this late date, you can't unring a bell.

At minimum, all states should not count any ballots that are postmarked after the election.
Everyone has had plenty of time.
Even when the president is sabotaging the postal system? That’s what these law suits are designed to take advantage of and Brett K basically admitted in his Wisconsin decision. Upper classes using the useful idiot Republicans to keep power

You're a damn liar, I got mail from NY and NJ to podunk TX in 5 calendar days. The speed of the post office hasn't changed.

Of course you would say that. You do hate government, right? You guys just want to hurt people, hurt Democracy, hurt yourselves.

What we have in PA is the PA Supreme Court overriding the PA Legislature. The Constitution empowers the state Legislatures to make the rules for federal elections (other than Election Day). Only Congress can alter that, not the courts.

So, yes, SCOTUS should act where courts interfere with Article 1, Section 4 powers.

Section 4.

The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each state by the legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by law make or alter such regulations, except as to the places of choosing Senators.​

My view is simple. You’re a leftist. That means you’re deranged. So whatever your opinion on this is, mine will be the opposite. Thank you for your poll.

The idiocy of right wing voters. The left are wrong. The left are always wrong. Anything you say is wrong. Even when you have proof that you're correct, I will oppose anything you say.

This is why the USA is in the mess they're in now. Because you oppose anything the other side says, just because a leftist said it. Not because you've look at any ideas and discussed their merits, because you don't. You look at who said it and oppose anything the other side proposes, while supporting the toxic policies that have destroyed your economy.
Ummm...I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it's the left that's destroyed the economy. Trump's been asking that states open back up. Democrat governors have kept their states locked down.

My view is simple. You’re a leftist. That means you’re deranged. So whatever your opinion on this is, mine will be the opposite. Thank you for your poll.

The idiocy of right wing voters. The left are wrong. The left are always wrong. Anything you say is wrong. Even when you have proof that you're correct, I will oppose anything you say.

This is why the USA is in the mess they're in now. Because you oppose anything the other side says, just because a leftist said it. Not because you've look at any ideas and discussed their merits, because you don't. You look at who said it and oppose anything the other side proposes, while supporting the toxic policies that have destroyed your economy.
Ummm...I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it's the left that's destroyed the economy. Trump's been asking that states open back up. Democrat governors have kept their states locked down.

It's not the lockdown which is destroying the economy. It's the pandemic. You cannot re-open without controlling the pandemic. Trump cannot or will not control the pandemic. He's the guy in charge of the economy, not the States.

The Push To Allow Guns At Polling Places Is Straightforward Voter Intimidation

There is no reason for open carry of guns at the polls except to intimidate voters, which is a federal crime.

There is an unmistakable effort underway to intimidate voters — specifically Democratic voters — when they go to the polls. The president himself has repeatedly threatened to send law enforcement to voting locations to hunt for supposed voter fraud, while more organic efforts include bullhorns, honking cars with Trump flags, and shouting confrontations directed at people lined up at early polling stations in blue or purple areas.

Bringing and displaying weapons at voting sites is one facet of potential intimidation that’s emerged in the weeks leading up to Election Day. There is an organized push from right-wing groups to show up at the polls with guns: a development election officials fear will create an unsafe environment for other voters to cast their ballots. In one swing state, an effort to limit the presence of guns at polling locations was met with a court fight and a standoff between the state’s election officials and some members of law enforcement.

Each state has specific laws around whether guns are permitted at voting locations — but only about a dozen states explicitly ban open and/or concealed carry of firearms at the polls. The legality of bringing a gun to vote can hinge on a technicality, like whether the polling place is a church, school or government building.

But the legal wrangling over who is allowed to arm themselves at which polling locations obscures a more straightforward point: voter intimidation is a federal crime everywhere in the U.S., and many voters would feel intimidated by visibly armed people at their polling places.

Do not allow Trump supporters to intimidate you at the polls. Stand your ground and cast your vote. Voting is probably the greatest and most sacred constitutional right that we have.
how is it voter intimidation? it's not intimidation until you confront a person and make threats. Didn't you learn that with holder and the black panthers at the Phillie polling place?

View attachment 408096

Aw, did those two little unarmed black panthers scare you? Not one person said they were intimidated by them. There is no need for civilians being armed with assault weapons at polling places - especially militia types.
Unarmed? Shabazz was armed with a billy club, and he and his lieutenant were screaming racial epithets at voters.

There is no reason for open carry of guns at the polls except to intimidate voters, which is a federal crime.

There is an unmistakable effort underway to intimidate voters — specifically Democratic voters — when they go to the polls. The president himself has repeatedly threatened to send law enforcement to voting locations to hunt for supposed voter fraud, while more organic efforts include bullhorns, honking cars with Trump flags, and shouting confrontations directed at people lined up at early polling stations in blue or purple areas.

Bringing and displaying weapons at voting sites is one facet of potential intimidation that’s emerged in the weeks leading up to Election Day. There is an organized push from right-wing groups to show up at the polls with guns: a development election officials fear will create an unsafe environment for other voters to cast their ballots. In one swing state, an effort to limit the presence of guns at polling locations was met with a court fight and a standoff between the state’s election officials and some members of law enforcement.

Each state has specific laws around whether guns are permitted at voting locations — but only about a dozen states explicitly ban open and/or concealed carry of firearms at the polls. The legality of bringing a gun to vote can hinge on a technicality, like whether the polling place is a church, school or government building.

But the legal wrangling over who is allowed to arm themselves at which polling locations obscures a more straightforward point: voter intimidation is a federal crime everywhere in the U.S., and many voters would feel intimidated by visibly armed people at their polling places.

Do not allow Trump supporters to intimidate you at the polls. Stand your ground and cast your vote. Voting is probably the greatest and most sacred constitutional right that we have.
how is it voter intimidation? it's not intimidation until you confront a person and make threats. Didn't you learn that with holder and the black panthers at the Phillie polling place?

View attachment 408096

Aw, did those two little unarmed black panthers scare you? Not one person said they were intimidated by them. There is no need for civilians being armed with assault weapons at polling places - especially militia types.
They had batons you Stupid Fuck ....

That Constitutes Voter Intimidation.

Fucking psycho Leftist ....

Go Figure !!!

Sick Mother Fuckers

Batons? That's funny. Why doesn't Trump's gestapo only carry batons?
If billy clubs aren't a big deal, why don't you volunteer to get hit with one?

Under Article II of the U.S. Constitution the president and vice president are chosen by electors, under a constitutional grant of authority delegated to the legislatures of the several states. The Constitution reserves the choice of the precise manner for creating electors to the will of the state legislatures.

Should the Governor and/or the State Court usurp the power of the Legislature, the role of SCOTUS would be order that usurpation ceased.

Are you for the usurpation of Legislative power by a State Court or Governor?

I'm for the counting of all legal ballots according to respective state election laws. SCOTUS should not be involved.
SCOTUS should get involved when it becomes clear that state governments are violating election law, such as recounting only select counties designed to give one candidate a chance to gain votes (Algore, Fla 2000). As long as everyone adheres to agreed upon things such as deadlines, there's really no need for it to get involved. Deadlines should mean something, and if they're just tossed out the window because the democrat wants more time to manufacture votes, the SC should step in.

Under Article II of the U.S. Constitution the president and vice president are chosen by electors, under a constitutional grant of authority delegated to the legislatures of the several states. The Constitution reserves the choice of the precise manner for creating electors to the will of the state legislatures.

Should the Governor and/or the State Court usurp the power of the Legislature, the role of SCOTUS would be order that usurpation ceased.

Are you for the usurpation of Legislative power by a State Court or Governor?

I'm for the counting of all legal ballots according to respective state election laws. SCOTUS should not be involved.
Any ballot recieved after Nov 3 is illegal. The constitution says the election shall be held on the first Tuesday in Nov, Nov 3.
Unless post marked before the 4th and with in the time allowed by that state to count absentee ballots.
Nope. If it's recieved after Nov 3, it goes into the trash.
Moron that is NOT the law.
That's actually what the Constitution mandates. It says the election shall be held on the first Tuesday in November. 5 days after the official date doesn't meet the requirements.

Republicans only care about states rights when it fits their narrative. They think like children. It’s impossible to take them seriously as adults.
...say the people still throwing tantrums about the 2016 election.

It's not the lockdown which is destroying the economy. It's the pandemic. You cannot re-open without controlling the pandemic. Trump cannot or will not control the pandemic. He's the guy in charge of the economy, not the States.
Which country is controlling the pandemic? Stop interfering in our elections.

New Topics

Forum List

Back