Poll: Should Trump accept a plea deal or risk a trial?

Should Trump accept a plea deal or risk a trial?

• Total voters
No it wouldn't. The charges have nothing to do with the PRA, the PRA deals with Presidential Records.
18 USC 793(e) deals with one aspect of espionage.
Then there are the obstruction, conspiracy, and false statement charges where the PRA doesn't apply at all.
WW
OK, so put on your lawyer's hat and pretend that you are defending Trump.
How would you convince the jury that as an ex-president the PRA governs the handling or mishandling of ALL documents. i.e. not a criminal statute.
If Trump misinterpreted the Clinton sock drawer case, or somehow thought he had a right to those classified documents because they were in his possession?

Agreed that Trump is actually toast. He had no right to classified documents. Just looking for a straw or two for him to grasp.

OK, so put on your lawyer's hat and pretend that you are defending Trump.

I wouldn't.

How would you convince the jury that as an ex-president the PRA governs the handling or mishandling of ALL documents. i.e. not a criminal statute.

I wouldn't because it doesn't. If I tried that opens the door for the prosecution to bring in witness after witness to testify how wrong an interpretation that is would would damage my clients case, not help it.

If Trump misinterpreted the Clinton sock drawer case, or somehow thought he had a right to those classified documents because they were in his possession?

The Clinton tapes are irrelevant to Trumps case. That was a civil question not a criminal one. His "belief" about the status of the documents is irrelevant. He was informed by the appropriate government officers, he was informed by his own lawyers, and choose to listen instead to Tom Fitton whose claim to fame is he has an English degree.

None of his "belief" got to dispel the "willful" provision of 18 USC 793(e).

Agreed that Trump is actually toast. He had no right to classified documents. Just looking for a straw or two for him to grasp.

If I was Trump's attorney (if I was an attorney) I'd tell him to take a plea deal to admit guilt and walk away without jail time.

If he accepts, I'd broker the deal.

If he rejects, I'd hand him two things: (A) my resignation as his attorney, and (B) a final invoice for services and demand payment.

WW

If I was Trump's attorney (if I was an attorney) I'd tell him to take a plea deal to admit guilt and walk away without jail time.

If he accepts, I'd broker the deal.

If he rejects, I'd hand him two things: (A) my resignation as his attorney, and (B) a final invoice for services and demand payment.
Thankfully you're not his attorney.

354438144_677358867829024_4011878901390831674_n.jpg

Forum List

Back