Ponnuru: "Republicans Should Start Worrying About Losing The House"

Juan de Fuca

Gold Member
May 24, 2016
Here it comes. When one of the more respected Republican talking heads delivers this kind of message before there has even been a convention, you know there's trouble ahead. Donald Trump is single handedly turning this country blue.

Republicans need to start worrying about losing their majority in the House of Representatives.

Republicans accept the conventional wisdom that Hillary Clinton is favored to win the presidency, and they know that her election would probably end their majority in the Senate. But in a year that has upended political expectations, they have clung to one comforting assumption: Their hold on the House is secure.

Their majority is protected by gerrymandering, the geographic distribution of Republican voters, the power of incumbency and its own sheer size. Republicans have 247 seats in the House, the most since 1931. Democrats would have to win 30 to take back the chamber. And that includes many seats in districts that usually go Republican in presidential contests. That sets the House apart from the Senate, where to keep their majority Republicans will have to hold seats in states that usually vote for Democratic presidential candidates.
But Clinton’s lead in the polls is widening to the point that Republicans need to set aside their complacency. Split-ticket voting has declined over the last generation. If Clinton wins big — because Republican voters stay home, or swing voters choose her party, or both — House Republicans will struggle to win re-election. Henry Olsen, the co-author of a recent book about the Republican party, tells me that an eight-point win would put Republicans in the danger zone.
More at the link: Republicans Should Worry About Losing the House

Here it comes. When one of the more respected Republican talking heads delivers this kind of message before there has even been a convention, you know there's trouble ahead. Donald Trump is single handedly turning this country blue.

Republicans need to start worrying about losing their majority in the House of Representatives.

Republicans accept the conventional wisdom that Hillary Clinton is favored to win the presidency, and they know that her election would probably end their majority in the Senate. But in a year that has upended political expectations, they have clung to one comforting assumption: Their hold on the House is secure.

Their majority is protected by gerrymandering, the geographic distribution of Republican voters, the power of incumbency and its own sheer size. Republicans have 247 seats in the House, the most since 1931. Democrats would have to win 30 to take back the chamber. And that includes many seats in districts that usually go Republican in presidential contests. That sets the House apart from the Senate, where to keep their majority Republicans will have to hold seats in states that usually vote for Democratic presidential candidates.
But Clinton’s lead in the polls is widening to the point that Republicans need to set aside their complacency. Split-ticket voting has declined over the last generation. If Clinton wins big — because Republican voters stay home, or swing voters choose her party, or both — House Republicans will struggle to win re-election. Henry Olsen, the co-author of a recent book about the Republican party, tells me that an eight-point win would put Republicans in the danger zone.

Winning the House is a lot harder to win than winning the Senate or White House. People like me do not vote straight ticket and you should do the research on how many people vote straight ticket in today time and realize swing voters and independent voters like me will vote for the candidate they feel is best for the job no matter Democratic, Republican or third party\independent.

The Senate will fall if Clinton win but the House will stay GOP with a slight majority lead...

Why? The election of Clinton herself is enough of an act of war against Real Americans to make the loss of the Legislature and Judiciary immaterial.

State legislatures draw up the federal districts. GOP controls about two thirds of state houses. GOP will control House for a long time to come.

Winning the House is a lot harder to win than winning the Senate or White House. People like me do not vote straight ticket and you should do the research on how many people vote straight ticket in today time and realize swing voters and independent voters like me will vote for the candidate they feel is best for the job no matter Democratic, Republican or third party\independent.

The Senate will fall if Clinton win but the House will stay GOP with a slight majority lead...

Which is why the article concluded that if Republican voters decide to sit it out or swing voters decide she is the lesser of two evils, Republicans could have a problem, especially if 8 points is all that is making the impossible, possible.

Oh and BTW, this is because outside Washington DC and east cost liberal media, Democrats have no grass roots support.

Which is why the article concluded that if Republican voters decide to sit it out or swing voters decide she is the lesser of two evils, Republicans could have a problem, especially if 8 points is all that is making the impossible, possible.
GOP voters will not sit out. The thought of a Hillary presidency is more than they can bare.

GOP voters will not sit out. The thought of a Hillary presidency is more than they can bare.

Actually there are indications of quite a few that won't even endorse Trump. He has divided the party, so who knows how it will end up? My bet is they stay home.

Actually there are indications of quite a few that won't even endorse Trump. He has divided the party, so who knows how it will end up? My bet is they stay home.

You need to realize this year you could see another 1992 election result where a third party candidate garner votes from those that dislike both Clinton and Trump.

You are fooling yourself if Trump is the only one disliked between the two of them and it is true Trump is hated by many the reality is Clinton is not loved either.

So those swing voters could swing to the Green or Libertarian which mean it will be a tight race.

Gary Johnson is polling strong for a Libertarian and you will laugh that he is in the teens but that can swing an election in state races and also Green Party candidate Jill Stein could garner some of the Sanders voters and if Sanders does not endorse Clinton it could hurt her ( Clinton ) more.

So as you look at the polls and agree with certain writers please remember not everyone is a straight ticket Democrat nor straight ticker Republican.

You need to realize this year you could see another 1992 election result where a third party candidate garner votes from those that dislike both Clinton and Trump.

You are fooling yourself if Trump is the only one disliked between the two of them and it is true Trump is hated by many the reality is Clinton is not loved either.

So those swing voters could swing to the Green or Libertarian which mean it will be a tight race.

Gary Johnson is polling strong for a Libertarian and you will laugh that he is in the teens but that can swing an election in state races and also Green Party candidate Jill Stein could garner some of the Sanders voters and if Sanders does not endorse Clinton it could hurt her more.

So as you look at the polls and agree with certain writers please remember not everyone is a straight ticket Democrat nor straight ticker Republican.

I'm not fooling myself at all, and I think Gary Johnson is being stupid as hell bragging that he is laying off marijuana until the election so he can have a clear head. If that is the viable third party candidate I'll take two please.

Personally I think Trump gets dumped at the convention and Kasich emerges as the nominee. The only problem is that it solves nothing, even more people will stay home.

Some will. I know one who is going to vote for Hillary.

Some will. I know one who is going to vote for Hillary.

I agree, Hillary Clinton is actually closer to being a moderate Republican than a Democrat and why the primaries saw such a surge to Bernie Sanders. Republicans will gravitate to her and you can be sure there will be ads specifically for Republican voters.

Gary Johnson is polling strong for a Libertarian and you will laugh that he is in the teens but that can swing an election in state races and also Green Party candidate Jill Stein could garner some of the Sanders voters and if Sanders does not endorse Clinton it could hurt her more.

I'm not fooling myself at all, and I think Gary Johnson is being stupid as hell bragging that he is laying off marijuana until the election so he can have a clear head. If that is the viable third party candidate I'll take two please.

Personally I think Trump gets dumped at the convention and Kasich emerges as the nominee. The only problem is that it solves nothing, even more people will stay home.

Typical Progressive Hogwash as usual.

When Clinton joked about his days of smoking pot those like you thought it was cute but with Gary Johnson it is insane to you.

The reality is many politicians have used pot in the past and some most likely still do, so who cares about that and it should be legal and the war on drugs is stupid.

The GOP will not dump Trump and this is wishful thinking on the Progressive Liberal part and it is as stupid as some on the right believing that Clinton will be dumped for Sanders or Biden.

Also the Progressive Liberal forget you don't win by the popular vote total but you have to win the Electoral College and with that the races will be close at the state level with four candidates running that will steal votes from each other.

Clinton is hated and only a fool would believe she will draw swing voters. Sanders voters hate her as much as Cruz voters hate Trump, but of course you are under the illusion every Progressive is like you and will vote the party choice when the reality is many Americans are tire of the foolish nonsense from both parties.

So mock Johnson pot usage and remember Clinton never inhaled and neither did Obama even though they did!

Typical Progressive Hogwash as usual.

When Clinton joked about his days of smoking pot those like you thought it was cute but with Gary Johnson it is insane to you.

The reality is many politicians have used pot in the past and some most likely still do, so who cares about that and it should be legal and the war on drugs is stupid.

The GOP will not dump Trump and this is wishful thinking on the Progressive Liberal part and it is as stupid as some on the right believing that Clinton will be dumped for Sanders or Biden.

Also the Progressive Liberal forget you don't win by the popular vote total but you have to win the Electoral College and with that the races will be close at the state level with four candidates running that will steal votes from each other.

Clinton is hated and only a fool would believe she will draw swing voters. Sanders voters hate her as much as Cruz voters hate Trump, but of course you are under the illusion every Progressive is like you and will vote the party choice when the reality is many Americans are tire of the foolish nonsense from both parties.

So mock Johnson pot usage and remember Clinton never inhaled and neither did Obama even though they did!

I'm pretty sure Hillary Clinton never bragged about smoking pot and if you have a link I would appreciate it. I agree with you on the war on drugs and also on marijuana legalization. Unfortunately, most Republicans are law and order types and are not ready to cave to something that offends. Those are the facts.

The polls are already starting to separate the candidates and Clinton has $1.5 billion campaign chest with ads ready to go in 27 states. Trump has nothing, his comment when asked about it is we haven't started yet. Well he better get moving, the next president is elected in 4 1/2 months.

The Republican House does exactly what the Dems want. Paul Ryan has done everything Obama told him to do. What's the point of giving the House back to the Dems when the Dems get their way now anyway?

I would like to see the democrats take over completely like they did between 2008 and 2010. We had literally no job creation back then. It may actually take several times until the public stops listening to these people but it will happen. I'm sorry to say this but the communist party in this country is really determined to run the country into the ground. It is only then that the people will begin to see how flawed democratic economic policies are.

The Republican House does exactly what the Dems want. Paul Ryan has done everything Obama told him to do. What's the point of giving the House back to the Dems when the Dems get their way now anyway?

Useless investigations, judiciary appointments, budgets etc, etc

I would like to see the democrats take over completely like they did between 2008 and 2010. We had literally no job creation back then. It may actually take several times until the public stops listening to these people but it will happen. I'm sorry to say this but the communist party in this country is really determined to run the country into the ground. It is only then that the people will begin to see how flawed democratic economic policies are.

Maybe it will happen about the same time as trickle down finally starts working.

Forum List

Back