Post Office to stop Saturday Delivery

Im actually kind of bummed that there wont be saturday service. I like getting mail. Even if it's junk mail. It's nice to know people think me important enough to waste my time with something.

I agree we should limit the days a week the post office delivers, no one needs mail every day, 4 or 5 days a week is plenty. Repealing or revising the outragous retirement requirment that has seriously overburdened the USPS is a great idea too, i can only imagine the idiots we elected didnt read or understand what they were passing. However, I don't support any attempt to privatize or phase out the postal service. It's still a vital component in our everyday lives.

I agree we should limit the days a week the post office delivers, no one needs mail every day, 4 or 5 days a week is plenty. Repealing or revising the outragous retirement requirment that has seriously overburdened the USPS is a great idea too, i can only imagine the idiots we elected didnt read or understand what they were passing. However, I don't support any attempt to privatize or phase out the postal service. It's still a vital component in our everyday lives.

How can you make both these claims?

I for one is Happy about this .. I hope they cut back junk mail next .. I do 99 percent of my bills online now anyway

Ha! Ok, I phrased that wrong. :redface:

Mail is vital to our lives. I know most people, including myself, get mostly junk and bills on a daily basis, and that makes us forget all the things we can only get via mail. Its currently an important, vital function of our government.

Ha! Ok, I phrased that wrong. :redface:

Mail is vital to our lives. I know most people, including myself, get mostly junk and bills on a daily basis, and that makes us forget all the things we can only get via mail. Its currently an important, vital function of our government.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree... IMO.. the benefits are far outweighed by the costs. While some people, probably more so in rural areas benefit from the USPS, I'm not sure it justifies a multi-billion $$ boondoggle.

I for one is Happy about this .. I hope they cut back junk mail next .. I do 99 percent of my bills online now anyway

I'm totally paperless and all my bills are on auto-pay.

I wish I could but our stupid water bill doesnt have online paying . .We live in a one horse town. But still dont mail it . I drive it to the place and pay it LOL

That sucks... I travel a lot so paperless + auto-pay keeps me honest and on-time!

This is a shrewd move by the Feds. By stopping Saturday deliveries they will be able to reduce a lot of their work force to part time which will enable huge savings by not paying for Obamacare.

No mail on Saturday means Monday's junk mail will be twice as much as it is now. :lol:

But it does crimp Netflix's business, and will be a boon to box stores like Blockbuster. 'Merkans are impatient. If we can't get a movie in the mail on Saturday, we aren't going to wait an extra TWO WHOLE DAYS to get a new release. Oh hells no! Not getting Netflix movies on Sunday is bad enough. Not getting them on Saturday is...because Hitler!

Last edited:
USPS was never meant to be dictated to by cost, when it 1st began it was founded on the idea of creating a way of connecting the nation for everyone, not just those who can afford it, and on a policy of promoting a free exchange of ideas. Which is why it used to subsidize the mailing of newspapers.

Its one of the few government expenditures that I don't specifically care about cost. There is no way for private companies to do what the postal service does, it would never be cost effective for them. In fact many companies like FedEx, use the postal service to ship to all the areas they don't serve.

Unimaginable that this could happen to such an effecient, cherished, historied institution like the usps.........lol

How about stop all delivery ? Government mismanagement at its best. They can keep all there junk mail, what a dinosaur.:clap2::clap2:

It's not so much mismanagement as the fact that it's just not relevant anymore. There was a time not long ago that the USPS was a profitable organization in the sense that it made money for the US Government. Now, not so much.

I have this knee jerk reaction where I want to defend it, but again, time has changed. Most of my bills are electronic now both in how I pay them and how I received them. Most of my Christmas cards are that way too. Other than stuff purchased online, I just don't get much anymore out of the USPS. They probably could be phased out.

I'm totally paperless and all my bills are on auto-pay.

I wish I could but our stupid water bill doesnt have online paying . .We live in a one horse town. But still dont mail it . I drive it to the place and pay it LOL

I'm in a similar boat too. I billpay it through my bank.

Yes it is.

And....the USPS is not a consumer of tax dollars. It is a fantastic example of a government run program that kicks ass!

The poison pill that Congress forced down the USPS throat should be repealed.

An outdated delivery system that is billions in the red is an example of something that "kicks ass"?

Are you high?

It is not billions of dollars in the red if the poison pill is repealed.

And.....it isn't outdated at all. We still need to send and receive mail. The system works well.

Forum List

Back