President Obama Gun and Ammo Salesman of the Year

Well what kind of weapons do you thing they had Rob..."this may tickle a little" weapons or perhaps "Could leave you with a nasty welt" weapons?

That is the whole point of this thread. People are judging him by his support for bans and are buying firearms in record numbers.

Once again, it's not an NRA smear that is propelling Americans to gunshops nationwide...it's President Obama's record.

If you don't judge a man on his record, what do you use?

I

You can judge most men on their record. However, I would judge Obama on what he does in office like you would any other President. If people had judged Bush on simply being a Republican then they wouldn't of probably thought he'd support the bailout but he did.

You have to admit however that the NRA committed several smears against Obama in their pamplets. Another thing, this thread is judging Obama on yesterday, not today.

And really, going to play the same semantics I heard in the other thread? Want me to be more specific? They didn't have freakin AK-47s back then. So you cannot say the opinions of the founding fathers on such weapons. The 2nd Amendment says you have a right to bear arms, not AK-47s, M-4s, or RPGs.

The second amendment doesn't say anything about handguns, either. Using your argument, Obama could take away handgus just as easily as AK47s.

Actually, noticed I edited that before you posted that. I felt that was wrong to say for the exact reason you stated.

I don't think we need an excuse to carry AK47's. The question you asked about the AK47's could be applied to handguns. I don't see why machine guns are illegal, honestly.

You do realize putting handguns and AK-47s into the same category is insane correct?

There is NO REASON why anyone needs an AK-47 especially to carry around on their persons.

No one needs a handgun either. It's a right.

Handguns for self-defense when law enforcement is unable to protect you.

AK-47s are rarely ever used for self-defense. I know if I were to want to defend my home, it'd be with a shotgun.

1.) 18 is certainly old enough to carry a firearm, just not on campus. Let me give you a situation, classroom full of students with guns. One student gets up and begins to shoot his fellow students in the middle of the room. Who do you think is going to kill more people? Him or the Fellow students when they all get up to shoot him at the same time and accidently shoot each other?

If they have a CCW they will be well trained. The first one to get his gun out will kill the gunman and the rest will pat him or her on the back.

Now let me give you a situation. A deranged student opens fire in a college building killing 30 people and injuring 17 more and firing at least 174 rounds before he was stopped. How many could have beens saved if some of the students were legally armed?

2.) What sort of hunting do you need an AK-47 for? I see no reason why something like a Shotgun could not be used.

You need to be better informed.

You can hunt anything with an Ak-47 that is legal to hunt with centerfire ammunition. The AK-47 fires the same round that my deer rifle fires, .30-06, the most popular hunting round in the world.

A shotguns accurate range is less than 70 yards, my AR-15 is well over 1000.

3.) I didn't realize that it became suddenly easier to run up to a person and use a bat/knife then to simply take out your gun and unload.

In the bedroom? You must live in a mansion.

4.) I realize strawman purchases are illegal, but the guns were originally still obtained through legal means. Cho bought the guns from a gun store however since the gun laws had flaws in them, he could still get guns. That is why I originally told Angel that it depends because work is still needed on gun laws in this country.

Ummm...if the purchase is illegal it is not by "legal means". The "flaw" was that the state did not report Cho's legal status to the NICS. It was illegal for Cho to carry a firearm on school property. That didn't stop him either. It only stops law abiding citizens.

I notice you didn't tackle the "How do you stop strawman purchases".

Last edited:
You can judge most men on their record. However, I would judge Obama on what he does in office like you would any other President.

You have to admit however that the NRA committed several smears against Obama in their pamplets. Another thing, this thread is judging Obama on yesterday, not today.

I don't think it would be wise to wait until after he banned or restricted firearms or taxed ammunition to attempt to buy them.

And really, going to play the same semantics I saw in the other thread? Want me to be more specific? They didn't have freakin AK-47s back then. So you cannot say the opinions of the founding fathers on such weapons.

The founding fathers didn't have bolt action rifles or repeating rifles either. Lousy argument.

Plus, as I have said many times a semi-auto is a semi auto.

Whether it looks like this:

DSC00554_edited.JPG

Or this:

rabbit-hunting-rifles-1.jpg

Or this:​

01-300.jpg

They are all the same.​

Last edited:

AK-47s are rarely ever used for self-defense. I know if I were to want to defend my home, it'd be with a shotgun.

They are also rarely used in crime.

If assault weapons are so rarely used in crime, why all the hoopla when certain military-style-semi-automatic weapons were banned by the Crime Control Act of 1994? A Washington Post editorial (September 15, 1994) summed it up best:
No one should have any illusions about what was accomplished (by the ban). Assault weapons play a part in only a small percentage of crime. The provision is mainly symbolic; its virtue will be if it turns out to be, as hoped, a stepping stone to broader gun control.​

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcassaul.html

Last edited:

A handgun is good but it requires a lot of practice to use properly. A shotgun is excellent for defence. Many years ago I had cause to arm up beyond normal issue weapons and I bought a Remington 1200. I practised and practised with it (sounds dumb but there was a good reason for it).

So the gun queers loaded up on ammo and guns just in case Obama decides to ban guns?

This is a problem, why?

So the gun queers loaded up on ammo and guns just in case Obama decides to ban guns?

This is a problem, why?

Not a problem, just a shock.

Really?

Given how often you have read people here telling us that Obama is going to steal everybody's precious guns, you didn't expect a spike in gun and ammo sales?

No, I expected a spike, but to the supply of a round as prolific as .22 LR totally exausted is unheard of.

I cannot produce an analogy that would convey to you my surprise when the attendant informed my how many different calibers were completely out of stock. He also was told that the situation was expected to last for some time.

We are talking about billions of rounds of ammunition. The annual supply of just .22 LR is as high as 2.5 billion rounds per year, according to Wikipedia.

I don't think anyone imagined a spike of these proportions. I know I didn't.

Last edited:
I went to Wal-mart today and they were nearly out of ammunition.

I wanted some .22 LR...completely out...out of .223...out of .380...out of .45 and .30-30 and .270 ammunition. I couldn't believe it. The guy behind the couter said they were all on backorder and they didn't know when they would get anything in.

m y morfar h e make ammuniition for the lahti.d o you this for the guns?

I wanted some .22 LR...completely out...out of .223...out of .380...out of .45 and .30-30 and .270 ammunition. I couldn't believe it. The guy behind the couter said they were all on backorder and they didn't know when they would get anything in.

m y morfar h e make ammuniition for the lahti.d o you this for the guns?

I reload my own shotgun shells but not my brass ammo...yet. I think I may start buying the basic equipment very soon.

Not a problem, just a shock.

Really?

Given how often you have read people here telling us that Obama is going to steal everybody's precious guns, you didn't expect a spike in gun and ammo sales?

No, I expected a spike, but to the supply of a round as prolific as .22 LR totally exausted is unheard of.

I cannot produce an analogy that would convey to you my surprise when the attendant informed my how many different calibers were completely out of stock. He also was told that the situation was expected to last for some time.

We are talking about billions of rounds of ammunition. The annual supply of just .22 LR is as high as 2.5 billion rounds per year, according to Wikipedia.

I don't think anyone imagined a spike of these proportions. I know I didn't.

You scary people long and hard enough, stuff like this will happen.

I post this on January 25th. I finally got my 22lr tonight by meeting the truck at 10:30.
Wal-mart got in one case of 22lr Federal Ammuniton and 1 case of 45 auto. They are still sold out of most ammo (including 22lr as I bought the case that came in) five weeks after my OP.

Get your guns, and keep them loaded, the Obama administration will see some hell if he tries to control gun owners. It will surely be a revolt.:clap2:

I went to the Springfield Missouri Gun Show today and it was PACKED. Most of the long guns and sidearms were outrageously priced...and people were buying like crazy.

President Obama should threaten to ban all stocks...the market will be back to 14,000 by the end of the month.

All I bought was a Ruger Mark I with the 4 3/4 tapered barrel for $200. Not the best price...but I reeeeeaaaallllly wanted it.

Last edited:
Pics if anyone's interested:​

100_0545.jpg

100_0546.jpg

100_0547.jpg

100_0548.jpg

Not too shabby for a 45 year old sidearm.​

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica][SIZE=+1]50 years of Ruger Auto Pistols - Page One[/SIZE][/FONT]
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cc0000 colSpan=2 height=1>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica][SIZE=-1]By Dick Metcalf, Technical Editor, Shooting Times.[/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ruger's centerfire and rimfire autoloading pistols have framed the company's history from beginning to present.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
50yrttlpc.jpg
50yrt.jpg
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]he Ruger name in firearms was born in the summer of 1949 when a small advertisement appeared in the pages of the American Rifleman. "The .22 RUGER pistol," it heralded; "the first overall improvement in automatic pistol design since the Browning patent of 1905...for simplicity, strength, and handsomeness it has no equal." There was a sketch of a .22 LR autoloader that had a silhouette resembling a classic Luger without the toggle bolt, and some who saw the ad, in fact, first thought the "R" in Ruger was a misprint, that it was really an announcement for a new .22 Luger. But the full company name at the bottom cleared things up: Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc., Southport, Connecticut.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Price? A mere $37.50.[/FONT]

Rimfire Auto Pistols
Thus appeared what soon became, and remains today, the largest selling, most popular .22 autoloading pistol in history, with over 2,000,000 sold. This first Ruger .22 pistol, soon to be known as the "Standard Model," featured a 4 3/4-inch tapered barrel with six-groove, 1:14 RH-twist rifling. It was definitely different. It had no "slide" as in conventional-form autoloaders but instead employed a cylindrical bolt that operated within a tubular receiver-more resembling a .22 semiauto rifle than other .22 auto pistols. Coil/music wire springs, not conventional flat springs, were used throughout its ...

(Article continues here 50 years of Ruger Auto Pistols - Page One)<CONTINUED href="http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aast50rugersa.htm" target="_blank" aast50rugersa.htm l guns od hunting.about.com http: <CONTINUED here>
<!-- BEGIN FREQUENCY TEMPLATE --><!--END FREQUENCY TEMPLATE-->

Last edited:
Took the Ruger MK I to the range today

8 shots each target @ 25ft

100_0549.jpg

Shoots well but it is a bear to reassemble after cleaning.

The main spring assembly must be just so to thread
the bolt and barrel.

I think it will get easier with practice tho...(just like everything else).​

I too was surprised to find 22lr ammo hard to find. I had to wait in line at wally world to find out they were out. I went to 2 more sporting goods shops before I found a brick of 22 ammo. On top of being hard to find, the price had almost doubled since this time last year. I was able to find 30.06 shells and 12g and 16g shotgun shells pretty easily though. I still am looking for 410 shells.
I was surprised to see gun prices higher than they were a few months ago as well.
I understand some folks are buying for political/economic fears, but I usually buy my ammo twice a year. I live in the mountains, and guide hunts for people with more money than know-how in the winter. I work at a lake renting boats and selling snacks to fishermen in the summer.
My wife wants a 9mm handgun for protection she says.....
i am trying to tell her that a good hunting rifle is better protection where we are at. At least it can feed you, try shooting an elk with a 9mm even at close range. It is debatable if you or the elk would die.
Even though I couldn't find the 410 shells or the 270 shells, it doesn't mean I am out either.
I have never been faced with the prospect of turning my sights on a human, but once I had the sights set, I don't think it would be a problem.
By the way, the old west cowboys all had a preference for a certain type of firearm- the shotgun. The shotgun is still considered the best all round self protection available. If you really want protection buy a 12 gauge. Most handguns are really just status symbols and are only effective at close range, then only as effective as the skill of the shooter. A shotgun is the easy button-point and shoot, even if you get close it's still deadly.

Forum List

Back