President Obama, indecision, Libya, mistakes, random thoughts

Good to see a President who finally gets it

Protect the rights of civilians
Build a global coalition
Keep the US in a support role
Don't put our soldiers at risk
Allow the EU to take the lead

Well played President Obama...well played

Exactly. We went to the U.N. on purpose. Whats so hard to understand about that. :eusa_eh:
It gives our actions legitimacy having the U.N. AND the Arab League behind the decision. U.S. goes in 1st w/ the precision bombing/softening-up Gaddafi then we turn it over to the French/U.K. to enforce the no-fly zone.

Because the United Nations does NOT override The Sovereignty of the Untied States and it's Constitution.

Got it ACE?

Good to see a President who finally gets it

Protect the rights of civilians
Build a global coalition
Keep the US in a support role
Don't put our soldiers at risk
Allow the EU to take the lead

Well played President Obama...well played

Exactly. We went to the U.N. on purpose. Whats so hard to understand about that. :eusa_eh:
It gives our actions legitimacy having the U.N. AND the Arab League behind the decision. U.S. goes in 1st w/ the precision bombing/softening-up Gaddafi then we turn it over to the French/U.K. to enforce the no-fly zone.

Because the United Nations does NOT override The Sovereignty of the Untied States and it's Constitution.

Got it ACE?

Where has that happened?

What has happened is that US Military actions have legitimacy on the world stage and we get to benefit from international cooperation

No wonder Conservatives hate it

Got it ACE?

Where has that happened?

What has happened is that US Military actions have legitimacy on the world stage and we get to benefit from international cooperation

Exactly. It also diversifies the costs but conservatives apparently don't care about that aspect LOL. Kudos to you for trying to reason w/ "The T". I read enough of his posts to know thats fruitless AFAIC'd.

Got it ACE?

Where has that happened?

Thing is? Congressional approval first. Or doesn't the Constitution mean squat to you when we are spending treasure overseas, and not on pet projecs like welfare?

I see how selective you idiots are when it comes to military action.

Obama's foreign policy? His administration didn't even know what was going on in Egypt except for what they seen on TV. Mubarak was in his last days by the time they knew there was something happening. Now we are being led to war in Libya by the French. I hate to see whats going to happen next week when the Syrian problem explodes. The Syrians may try to manufacture an Israeli incident so they can blunt the uprising and go to war. If this happens the middle east could explode as other Arab countries join in the war to quell similar uprisings in their country. This is a very real possibility but I doubt the Obama administration has even thought of it.

Got it ACE?

Where has that happened?

Thing is? Congressional approval first. Or doesn't the Constitution mean squat to you when we are spending treasure overseas, and not on pet projecs like welfare?

The President is given wide latitude in Military engagements.......much like Ron Reagan had when he attacked Libya

In an effort to keep the OP here a little bit brief, here's the disclaimer. I don't know what my policy would be in the matter of the Middle East uprisings and with regard to Libya (and Egypt, etc). In fairness, therefor, before I discuss what President Obama has been doing and not doing, I confess I do not see any good solutions, either.

The trouble is: we the People elected HIM to be President and he's supposed to chart the course. He could chart a great course (or at least the course that's least bad). Or he could chart a piss-poor course. Either way, at least our foreign policy wouldn't be simply "adrift." At present, I submit we are adrift. And we are adrift because this President lets events (and the U.N.) decide things FOR him rather than trying to take the reins.

In terms of Libya (and this applies to Egypt, too): the problem is very complicated. I don't think there IS a good choice to be made. If we support the people who are rising up against that brutal fuck, Mohammar Kadaffy-fuck, we are essentially providing aid (and munitions?) to a bunch of Muslim "brotherhood" scumbags who will turn out to be al qaeda supported bastards. That does not strike me as sound U.S. foreign policy.

On the other hand, what are we supposed to do? Support that evil prick, Kaddafy-fuck? He murdered lots of our people. He is a low rent monster. If we supported HIM out of fear of who is behind this uprising stuff, the people there would have pretty clear reason to hate our fucking guts. Well, hate us even more, that is. And that could blow up on us, too.

Third option is to be "neutral." But that will only make us look weak and indecisive in the eyes of the leaders of the other nations on our little blue planet. And it will be said (with some justification) that our inaction HELPS the dictator.

Since I can't see a good course to follow, I have some trouble being overly critical of President Obama in this. And yet, it seems to also be true that he wanted the job. He is the one who is supposed to be making these tough choices. And he is doing what? He initially waited for the UN to "act." We then become one of the followers, relinquishing our role as a "leader." And this creates world-wide perceptions. And those perceptions have consequences.

And now he is weakly contemplating arming the rebels even as we learn that they have direct support (including fighting forces) from al qaeda. In short, he seems waffling and weak and indecisive, but when he does finally make a choice, he seems to be making serious mistakes.

I wish we could demand a recall referendum. He and Vice President Biden need to go.
What we should do, militarily in regard to civil uprisings and civil war in these Arab countries is stay the fuck out of it. Don't we have enough problems here at home without getting involved in another war. If the UN or NATO wants to get involved, fine as long as we don't have a major role.

Exactly how Obama is playing it

Why does the US always have to carry the water in UN military actions?

Let France do the heavy work while we provide oversight

you're deluding yourself.

Where has that happened?

The President is given wide latitude in Military engagements.......much like Ron Reagan had when he attacked Libya

Bad comparison. That was a one strike operation in response to Libyan attack on US citizens.

There is a right leaning think tank called the CATO Institute.

This think tank is not socially conservatives, but their economic ideas were a major engine of Reaganomics.

I mention CATO because they are perhaps the only trustworthy source where rightwing voters can get an alternate narrative to the one they get from Movement Conservatism (Beck, Limbaugh, Levine et al) -- which has described The War on Terrorism as a war between American freedom and barbarians like Saddam Hussein and Islamic radicals.

The CATO institute tells a different narrative of the middle east. It sees the current turmoil arising not from a clash between good and evil, but from the impact of colonialism., i.e., conflicts arising because of Western intervention in the region, mostly because of oil. [The rightwing voter will not pursue this thread because it opens up a geopolitical universe which his sources never mention. The rightwing voter doesn't hear about vital resource markets, only bad people who hate freedom]

A question arises. A humble question. Is there more to the region than simple evil doers who hate freedom? Should we make more of an attempt to understand Western intervention in the region? Perhaps we should consider that the middle east is one of the only places that didn't experience decolonization during the postwar years, when much of Africa gained independence. Granted, Britain was forced to end it's formal colonial rule in the late 40's, but this only created a vacuum filled by the US and Soviets, who began pouring money and weapons into region. FYI: once you pour money and weapons into despotic regimes (regardless of how noble the objective), you can no longer talk about speeding freedom or voluntary market arrangements.

There is a massive bloc of American voters, controlled mostly by Movement Conservatism, who have never studied the middle east. Rather than thinking in terms of historical and policy specifics -- rather than seeking out the nuances of geopolitics, and the compromises America has made to achieve "stability" in the region -- they are stuck inside broad generalizations about "evil doers" & "Freedom".

Put simply: we have a group of voters whose ignorance is crucial to misadventures in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya.

Here is my concern. The War on Terrorism is coming back on a major scale in 2012. By this I mean a set of policies that seek to exploit very real national security threats in order to create a context for intervention in "vital" regions. We are going to once again see more than just incompetent, anti-Constitutional bombing raids in Libya (-Lefty presidents since Carter have always managed only a weak military version of their steroidal GOP counterparts). When the GOP retakes Washington, we are going to see much bigger threats and much bigger uses of force. We are going to see color coded fear warnings on FOX News, designed to "sell" foreign policies we can no longer afford.

Here is what I ask. Will the rightwing voters on this board start studying the middle east right now. This will allow you to become more critical of the official narrative, which depends on the fact that you do not know [things like] the difference between the Ba'ath party and Al Qaeda. I will supply study material from your side of the political spectrum. I make this gesture in good faith because we need you -- as citizens -- to hold your party accountable. We simply cannot afford 8 more years of the Bushies.

Meaning: we need you to hold your party accountable in the way you hold Obama accountable. [FYI: I'm encouraged by the things most of you are saying about Libya, but we need you to expand this into a broader understanding of US Foreign Policy]

We need you to use your criticism of Libya -- which I agree with 100%! -- as a springboard to analyze and question your party's next argument for intervention. We can't afford for you to go to sleep for another 8 years -- even if you are 100% certain that evil abounds and freedom is on the march. We need you to study history.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa159.pdf

Last edited:
Where has that happened?

Exactly, RW, which is why I've supported Obama on this, despite the reservations I have about him personally. I don't want to undermine our national policy, for partisan advantage. With that said, I have to admit I'm concerned as to whether this administration has a coherent policy here, or is making it up as it goes along (and possibly falling behind the curve). I like the idea of having other nations on board, but I recall that a lot of U.N interventions have been failures, failures that did not serve our nation's interest, which is, after all, the primary objective of our foreign policy .

I hope I'm wrong, but I see a lot of apparent indecision, waffling, and uncertainty, when I'd feel more comfortable with a sure and steady hand at the wheel. I'll remain supportive, for the time being, but I AM concerned.

Exactly, RW, which is why I've supported Obama on this, despite the reservations I have about him personally. I don't want to undermine our national policy, for partisan advantage. With that said, I have to admit I'm concerned as to whether this administration has a coherent policy here, or is making it up as it goes along (and possibly falling behind the curve). I like the idea of having other nations on board, but I recall that a lot of U.N interventions have been failures, failures that did not serve our nation's interest, which is, after all, the primary objective of our foreign policy .

I hope I'm wrong, but I see a lot of apparent indecision, waffling, and uncertainty, when I'd feel more comfortable with a sure and steady hand at the wheel. I'll remain supportive, for the time being, but I AM concerned.

what is our policy that made Libya an issue?

A more subtle (and devious and Machiavellian) foreign policy might have been to "secretly" play both ends against the middle. Support the rebels through back channels and so forth. But also arrange to give Kaddafy-fuck a tepid (and unpublicized) demonstration of support. If the rebels win, we take credit for having helped. If Kaddafy-fuck wins, he will know that we were at least giving him some tepid support (and hopefully won't know about our double dealing).

And, here's the trickiest part: the entire time in which we are secretly playing both sides against the middle, we are also secretly working (behind the scenes, of course) towards setting up some alternative "leadership" which will at least remain neutral as far as our international interests in the region.

Given the lack of viable alternative choices, this devious and borderline unethical foreign policy would at least make some effort to secure our own needs. But something tells me this Administration isn't ANYWHERE close to being up for the job.
Actually there is the Libyan opposition we are "supporting" and they are not AQ. I created a thread about it last week but since it didn't say AQ in it nobody cared.

oops, I didn't mean to link that. i meant to link this

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-middle-east-general/160086-meet-the-libyan-opposition.html

Last edited:
A more subtle (and devious and Machiavellian) foreign policy might have been to "secretly" play both ends against the middle. Support the rebels through back channels and so forth. But also arrange to give Kaddafy-fuck a tepid (and unpublicized) demonstration of support. If the rebels win, we take credit for having helped. If Kaddafy-fuck wins, he will know that we were at least giving him some tepid support (and hopefully won't know about our double dealing).

And, here's the trickiest part: the entire time in which we are secretly playing both sides against the middle, we are also secretly working (behind the scenes, of course) towards setting up some alternative "leadership" which will at least remain neutral as far as our international interests in the region.

Given the lack of viable alternative choices, this devious and borderline unethical foreign policy would at least make some effort to secure our own needs. But something tells me this Administration isn't ANYWHERE close to being up for the job.
Actually there is the Libyan opposition we are "supporting" and they are not AQ. I created a thread about it last week but since it didn't say AQ in it nobody cared.

Sean Hannity Discussion - View Single Post - On Presidential Authority and Lawlessness: Re; Libya

I recently saw that some rebel commander, there, acknowledged that the rebels were using outside help, including al qaeda.

Camel's nose under the tent flap.

And, al qaeda aside, the rebels we are helping still have connections to the so-called Muslim Brotherhood. No bargain there, either.

Why the 'indecision' charge?

Bush took 6 MONTHS from the time he got the Iraq authorization until he finally invaded Iraq.

I don't recall any of his cheerleaders then or now labeling that as 'indecision'.

because the tactical situations are entirely different, Libya ala the relative positions of the rebels and force that would have been required a month ago, had flipped. The situation in Iraq was not getting any better or any worse, the situation was not near as fluid.

So 6 months of dithering on Bush's part was insignificant because Saddam was not an imminent threat?

lol, good one.

why yes of course, answer the slimmest portion of my post and ignore the rest that actually makes the difference, it makes you appear willfully ignorant, I am sorry but there it is.

Why the 'indecision' charge?

Bush took 6 MONTHS from the time he got the Iraq authorization until he finally invaded Iraq.

I don't recall any of his cheerleaders then or now labeling that as 'indecision'.

because the tactical situations are entirely different, Libya ala the relative positions of the rebels and force that would have been required a month ago, had flipped. The situation in Iraq was not getting any better or any worse, the situation was not near as fluid.

Since we have no business there in the first place, the 1 or 2 week delay is immaterial.

Even for those who otherwise support this, going in earlier would have required a unilateral or nearly so action, which would have given the rest of the current coalition a golden opportunity to leave us with the whole mess, or most of it, in other words the same old story.

I suggest a primer on the time-lines of Qadaffis advances, Obamas statements , hillarys , gates AND his crew all together, day by day from say mid Feb. on.

The criticism of Obama's 'dithering' and 'indecisiveness' is merely a last ditch effort by one set Obama haters (the ones who otherwise support going after Khadaffi) to find fault with Obama somehow.

yes, of course, like the unearned dithering and indecisiveness charges ala Afghanistan, Iran, karzai, zelaya......and the fact that he did string this out, and while he did he let a cheap and easy 'victory' slip by.*shrugs*.

Go ask your own harpy there, Dowd, she wrote a column speaking to this....theres plenty of critique on this front be had from the left and far left. Take it up with them.

Man,the "NO WAR FOR OIL" Peeps should be ashamed of themselves. Where are they these days? Is it simply because DA BOOOOOOSH isn't in there? Gaddafi was absolutely no threat to the U.S. or the Region. Those claiming that are just liars. There is also no evidence of Genocide either. Those claims were just more lies. This is a 'War for Oil' if there ever was one. Some Western European Nations wanted this War and we just backed them up on it. It's payback for all the Wars we've dragged them into over the years. It really is that simple in the end. This is a Libyan Civil War. It would not have destabilized Africa or the Middle East. So come on "NO WAR FOR OIL" Peeps. Where ya at?

Where has that happened?

reagan attacked Libya in response to a Libyan attack on US service personell. Well within the very LIMITTED scope of his authority to engage militarily.

I support WHAT we are doing in libya, I do NOT support it being done unlawfully.

Sean Hannity Discussion - View Single Post - On Presidential Authority and Lawlessness: Re; Libya

I recently saw that some rebel commander, there, acknowledged that the rebels were using outside help, including al qaeda.

Camel's nose under the tent flap.

And, al qaeda aside, the rebels we are helping still have connections to the so-called Muslim Brotherhood. No bargain there, either.
I included the wrong link, this is it

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-middle-east-general/160086-meet-the-libyan-opposition.html

I've read those stories too, but the telegraph story is misleading at best as the "commander" of the rebels it identifies is not in fact a "commander of the rebels. The rebel Commander is Omar Harriri not the hasiddi terrorist they identified.

Forum List

Back