Public outrage prompts Melbourne e-scooter ban

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England

The Australian city of Melbourne has banned rental electronic scooters with officials saying they posed unacceptable safety risks.
The U-turn by the city’s council comes after it first welcomed the scooters in February 2022, saying they would operate a two-year trial.
However, hundreds of accidents since then have sparked complaints and outrage from the public.
Melbourne's mayor said he was "fed up" with the bad behaviour of some scooter users.
“Too many people [are] riding on footpaths. People don’t park them properly. They’re tipped, they’re scattered around the city like confetti, like rubbish, creating tripping hazards,” Nicholas Reece told local radio station 3AW, external.
Melbourne is just the latest city in the world to remove hire scooters - which can go at up to 26km/h (16mph) - after a brief period of operation. The French capital Paris outlawed them last September - Mr Reece said he wanted to copy "the Paris option".

Well, I was in Paris with the girlfriend in 2019 and the scooters were zooming about. We didn't use them because there was no phone holder for you to follow Google maps. But we did notice they were lying around as hazards. Tbh, I think those that used them were mainly on the roads.

But the Utopian idea was scrapped in Paris in September 2023, Melbourne in Australia has now followed suit.

Do these escooter schemes exist in the US?

The Australian city of Melbourne has banned rental electronic scooters with officials saying they posed unacceptable safety risks.
The U-turn by the city’s council comes after it first welcomed the scooters in February 2022, saying they would operate a two-year trial.
However, hundreds of accidents since then have sparked complaints and outrage from the public.
Melbourne's mayor said he was "fed up" with the bad behaviour of some scooter users.
“Too many people [are] riding on footpaths. People don’t park them properly. They’re tipped, they’re scattered around the city like confetti, like rubbish, creating tripping hazards,” Nicholas Reece told local radio station 3AW, external.
Melbourne is just the latest city in the world to remove hire scooters - which can go at up to 26km/h (16mph) - after a brief period of operation. The French capital Paris outlawed them last September - Mr Reece said he wanted to copy "the Paris option".

Well, I was in Paris with the girlfriend in 2019 and the scooters were zooming about. We didn't use them because there was no phone holder for you to follow Google maps. But we did notice they were lying around as hazards. Tbh, I think those that used them were mainly on the roads.

But the Utopian idea was scrapped in Paris in September 2023, Melbourne in Australia has now followed suit.

I'm not sure whether the larger cities have them, but most places we have gone over myriad states for years now, you just don't see them. They aren't all that safe here with our American big UVs and big pickup trucks. You don't even see all that many motorcycles.

I'm not sure whether the larger cities have them, but most places we have gone over myriad states for years now, you just don't see them. They aren't all that safe here with our American big UVs and big pickup trucks. You don't even see all that many motorcycles.
They had push bikes too, but for every 10 bike stands, we saw 1 bike. Probably most ended up in the river. We did download the app at the time to use one, I can't remember what the price was, but not being able to view a map on where to go knocked it on the head.

I don't know how these schemes were first started because even my 1 year Jack Russell knows they would fail. Expecting people to be sensible, look after things, and put things back!!

iu

Forum List

Back