Purdue Pharma offers $10 billion to $12 billion to settle opioid claims

They need to stop prescribing opioids for pain, period. They have that edible THC stuff that's just as good. Just don't try to do any fancy walking after you eat a couple

The other shoe drops..Big Pharma..buying America off!!

"Purdue Pharma and its owners, the Sackler family, are offering to settle more than 2,000 lawsuits against the company for $10 billion to $12 billion. The potential deal was part of confidential conversations and discussed by Purdue's lawyers at a meeting in Cleveland last Tuesday, Aug. 20, according to two people familiar with the mediation.
Brought by states, cities and counties, the lawsuits — some of which have been combined into one massive case — allege the company and the Sackler family are responsible for starting and sustaining the opioid crisis.
At least 10 state attorneys general and the plaintiffs’ attorneys gathered in Cleveland, where David Sackler represented the Sackler family, according to two people familiar with the meeting. David Sackler, who was a board member of the company, has recently been the de facto family spokesperson.
The lawsuits that Purdue and the Sacklers are seeking to settle allege that their company’s sales practices were deceptive and at least partly responsible for the opioid crisis, which claimed more than 400,000 lives from 1999 to 2017, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some of the lawsuits also allege that after 2007 the Sackler family drained the company of money to enrich themselves.
“The Sackler family built a multibillion-dollar drug empire based on addiction,” New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal said in May when his state joined others in suing the Sackler family and their company. Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey was the first to name family members in her suit in January.
Purdue Pharma, which makes the opioid painkiller OxyContin, and the Sackler family have denied the allegations laid out in the lawsuits.
In a statement to NBC News, the company said: "While Purdue Pharma is prepared to defend itself vigorously in the opioid litigation, the company has made clear that it sees little good coming from years of wasteful litigation and appeals.""

What is the plaintiffs' goal here? To get drug manufacturers out of the business of producing opioids?

Draconian fines, and/or jail sentences for people who work at these outfits will accomplish that, you know.

I thought everyone knew, or at least every doctor, dentist and pharmacist knew, that pain killers were potentially habit forming.

But apparently, I was wrong. The addictiveness of opioids was a closely held trade secret since the drugs were first formulated and people were tricked by the drug outfits into prescribing and using them recklessly.
Oxy was marketed as the alternative and less addictive choice for severe pain. Dr,'s bought it..it became clear that Oxy was addictive..but by then..there was just too much money in servicing the addicts.

"Purdue Pharma and its owners, the Sackler family, are offering to settle more than 2,000 lawsuits against the company for $10 billion to $12 billion. The potential deal was part of confidential conversations and discussed by Purdue's lawyers at a meeting in Cleveland last Tuesday, Aug. 20, according to two people familiar with the mediation.
Brought by states, cities and counties, the lawsuits — some of which have been combined into one massive case — allege the company and the Sackler family are responsible for starting and sustaining the opioid crisis.
At least 10 state attorneys general and the plaintiffs’ attorneys gathered in Cleveland, where David Sackler represented the Sackler family, according to two people familiar with the meeting. David Sackler, who was a board member of the company, has recently been the de facto family spokesperson.
The lawsuits that Purdue and the Sacklers are seeking to settle allege that their company’s sales practices were deceptive and at least partly responsible for the opioid crisis, which claimed more than 400,000 lives from 1999 to 2017, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some of the lawsuits also allege that after 2007 the Sackler family drained the company of money to enrich themselves.
“The Sackler family built a multibillion-dollar drug empire based on addiction,” New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal said in May when his state joined others in suing the Sackler family and their company. Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey was the first to name family members in her suit in January.
Purdue Pharma, which makes the opioid painkiller OxyContin, and the Sackler family have denied the allegations laid out in the lawsuits.
In a statement to NBC News, the company said: "While Purdue Pharma is prepared to defend itself vigorously in the opioid litigation, the company has made clear that it sees little good coming from years of wasteful litigation and appeals.""

This garbage of paying a fine and everything is good has got to stop.

People have died. Communities have been harmed.

The people responsible for it should be sent to prison. Yet they just have to pay a fine.

And the fine doesn't even cover the amount of profit they made from all that death and suffering. The companies walk away with billions and only has to pay a fraction in a fine.

It's crazy. The priorities in this nation are very messed up.

If anyone thinks those companies are going to absorb that loss think again. They will increase the price of all their products to cover that money they paid in a fine.

Opioids are like guns. Opioids don't push the plunger on the syringe, the user does. Just as guns don't kill people, neither do opioids!

What? Nobody else can see the essential flaw in the NRA argument?

I agree on the opioids.

No one put a gun to their head to take drugs. They do that all on their own. No one should pay them for their own stupidity.

Good Lord.

I was in an extremely serious accident with 15ft monster waves in 2009. I was lucky, I ended up in a coma instead of dead.

When I woke from that coma, I had extremely serious injuries to my spine, hands & arms. The pain was worse than anything anyone can describe.

When I was leaving that hospital I had to argue with the doctor. He wanted me to have that oxyheroin garbage. I knew what it is & refused it. I had to argue with the Doctor to get a different pain killer. The doctor was right the one I wanted didn't do much of anything to stop the pain but I preferred to endure it instead of become addicted to pharmaceutical heroin.

My point is doctors literally pushed it on people at that time. I'm from a medical family. Most people who aren't won't challenge a doctor.

Too many innocent people trusted their doctor & became addicted to that drug.

It happened to Rush Limbaugh.

Opioids are like guns. Opioids don't push the plunger on the syringe, the user does. Just as guns don't kill people, neither do opioids!

I agree on the opioids.

No one put a gun to their head to take drugs. They do that all on their own. No one should pay them for their own stupidity.

Good Lord.

I was in an extremely serious accident with 15ft monster waves in 2009. I was lucky, I ended up in a coma instead of dead.

When I woke from that coma, I had extremely serious injuries to my spine, hands & arms. The pain was worse than anything anyone can describe.

When I was leaving that hospital I had to argue with the doctor. He wanted me to have that oxyheroin garbage. I knew what it is & refused it. I had to argue with the Doctor to get a different pain killer. The doctor was right the one I wanted didn't do much of anything to stop the pain but I preferred to endure it instead of become addicted to pharmaceutical heroin.

My point is doctors literally pushed it on people at that time. I'm from a medical family. Most people who aren't won't challenge a doctor.

When I broke my arm a couple of years ago, it was very painful, they shot me up with some Dilaudid, gave me a script for a dozen and that was that. I didn't become a junkie or a dopehead. It was useful to me.

I agree on the opioids.

Good Lord.

When I broke my arm a couple of years ago, it was very painful, they shot me up with some Dilaudid, gave me a script for a dozen and that was that. I didn't become a junkie or a dopehead. It was useful to me.

I've had that drug. It's not the same as the oxyheroin. Plus your pain didn't last forever.

Mine did. I have nerve damage pain everyday and will for the rest of my life.

I spent nearly 4 years in recovery seeing a long list of doctors. Had I taken that prescription I would have become addicted to it simply because I had to be on pain killers for so long. I still have to take pain killers.

That doctor at the hospital didn't tell me what Lyrica is. It was relatively new at the time and I had never heard of it and didn't know what it was. It's addictive too. I didn't find out until I got back to the mainland that it was addictive and I was addicted to it. My neurologist put me on 300 mg of that drug each day. I'm only 5ft tall and about 120 lbs soaking wet but have an inherited high resistance to drugs from my dad. Even that high dose didn't kill the nerve damage pain. I was so high I was afraid to drive my car. I kept telling my neurologist that hated it and wanted off of it.

Guess what she did?

She sat me down and asked me " So what's your problem with drugs?" She fought me on getting off it but said if I did want to get off it to not do it by myself. Well I did it by myself. I went through the same withdrawals as a heroin addict at first. So I decreased it slowly so that it took nearly 5 months to get totally off it. I started getting off it in October 2009. The first day I didn't take any of it was March 1, 2010.

I come from a medical family so I know that I can say no to a doctor. Most people don't. Which makes me not as desirable to most doctors because I won't just take what they say. Most people do what their doctor tells them. If I had done what my doctor had wanted me to do I would still be addicted to Lyrica and would probably by now be on a much higher dose since addiction makes the body require more of the drug over time.

Where as my ENT prescribed pure morphine for pain after a surgery. I was on it for just a few days and didn't even finish the prescription.

There are times when it can be used very short term but long term is only a prescription for disaster.

I agree on the opioids.

Good Lord.

Good for you and very smart. Anyone who takes those drugs is an idiot.

Its easy to get addicted and harder to do without. I'd do without just like you did.

False analogy. Drugs are addictive while guns are not. There is no such thing as a gateway gun.

There is no essential flaw in the NRA argument and you are correct the drug does not kill the person who ODs they person shooting up does,.

This entire effort at suing drug companies for the opioid crises is based on massive lies just like the effort to strip away firearms.

In the case of opiates however these lawsuits are the government diverting attention for it's own responsibility in creating this mess.

The current opioid crises is happening because of the government and they are now trying to shift the blame. For many years doctors routinely gave open ended prescriptions to many people who were very ill and in a lot of pain. These people could get as much oxycontin as they wanted or needed. Many of them became dealers who sold the excess. These then became the drug of choice for Opiate addicts. Clearly this was an illegal black market but a relatively harmless one. One can OD on pills but very few do so. Essentially addicts were feeding their habit with few deaths. A couple of years ago the government cracked down and forbade such open ended prescriptions. Now doctors and patients must account for every pill prescribed.

The result of this was that the street supply of prescription opiates dried up and addicts began seeking a supply elsewhere. Which means they turned to heroin and fentanyl and other opiates which are far more dangerous and easier to OD with.

So in starting the war on drugs the government crated a mess and then decided to fix it but only made the mess bigger and worse,

Of course they cannot have people questioning the government so they shift blame to the drug maker

Ironically there are still many desperately sick people who do in fact need opiates to survive and to ease their tremendous suffering and these law suits harm their ability to get the medication they need.

False analogy. Drugs are addictive while guns are not. There is no such thing as a gateway gun.

Libs might disagree with that.

40 years ago, they bitched and whined about Saturday Night Special firearms, low caliber, inexpensive handguns as the cause of violence in America.

Apparently since then, they've changed their minds, and now the same control freaks don't like the fact that many people listened to them, and are now buying semi-automatic rifles, so-called Assault Weapons.

Sounds like, in the liberal view, SNS weapons were "gateway" weapons.

I agree on the opioids.

Good Lord.

Good for you and very smart. Anyone who takes those drugs is an idiot.

Its easy to get addicted and harder to do without. I'd do without just like you did.

Yes it is and in that time not many knew about it. I did because I'm from a medical family. I was lucky.

Most people weren't.

Too many doctors literally pushed those drugs on people in that time. Too many people became addicted and died.

When I woke from that coma my right hand was a non usable claw. I had the use of my index finger and thumb on the left. I could barely move my hands and arms much less use them. I knew I was in for years of rehabilitation and recovery.

The last thing I wanted or needed was a drug addiction on top of all the injuries I had.

Not so quick.....some states want more money...Purdue Pharma. is trying to skate off with a cosmetic bankruptcy..some states are not impressed.

OxyContin maker braces for bankruptcy as settlement talks stall

"OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma LP is preparing to seek bankruptcy protection before the end of the month if it does not reach a settlement with U.S. communities over widespread opioid litigation, three people familiar with the matter said, after some states balked at the company's $10 billion to $12 billion offer in August to end their lawsuits as part of a negotiated Chapter 11 case.
On Friday, Purdue lawyers had documents prepared for a Chapter 11 filing at a moment’s notice, Reuters has learned. A federal judge, who expects plaintiffs to update him on settlement progress this week, wants 35 state attorneys general on board with a deal, a threshold that has not yet been reached, the people familiar with the matter said.
Purdue lawyers have told lead attorneys for local governments and some state attorneys general for weeks, and again in recent days, that the company will have to file for bankruptcy without a settlement if one is not reached soon, one of the people said. This approach is known as a "free-fall" bankruptcy filing because it lacks consensus on a reorganization beforehand.

Strong opposition from some attorneys general such as those in Massachusetts and New York emerged last week after confidential discussions on Purdue’s settlement talks became public in media reports, with Connecticut’s calling for Purdue to be “broken up and shut down,” and sold in parts. Their main sticking point is how much Purdue's controlling Sackler family will pay, the people said."

/—-/ They were blackmailed and will go out of business.

Better yet: confiscate their patents.

This entire effort at suing drug companies for the opioid crises is based on massive
Total horseshit. They were all in on incentivizing abuse by doctors and patients and knowingly deceived both.
Total truth you are wrong.

The problem was created by government who are simply sueing to divert attention from their own failure

That IS FACT
no, that's utter nonsense.
/----/ Utter Nonsense
th

This entire effort at suing drug companies for the opioid crises is based on massive
Total horseshit. They were all in on incentivizing abuse by doctors and patients and knowingly deceived both.
Total truth you are wrong.

The problem was created by government who are simply sueing to divert attention from their own failure

That IS FACT
no, that's utter nonsense.
It's a fact

Forum List

Back