Quickly losing interest in college football

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
This stems from players sitting out bowl games who are moving on to the NFL, to coaches sitting out bowl games cuz they are moving on to another team next year, to the same old damnable teams winning the championship every year.

It's just a big old bore now.

This stems from players sitting out bowl games who are moving on to the NFL, to coaches sitting out bowl games cuz they are moving on to another team next year, to the same old damnable teams winning the championship every year.

Isn't happening in Minnesota....The players have completely bought into coach P.J Fleck's program, and nobody bags out no matter what.

I haven't been bored.
Just about every game, Bama leaves me in some doubt and keeps things interesting. I hope to see them beat the crap out of Michigan. BUT, I'll take a one-point win ;)

I agree. I'm in Clearwater right now, fireworks in 1 hour, but tomorrows game will have Penn State missing 6 guys. That's fucking bullshit. And what's worse than that is that coach Franklin knew they weren't going to play weeks ago even though they just announced their withdraw this week. That means that Franklin and these kids, who constantly attest to their gratitude to the university and especially the fans, are all self serving lying bastards who intentionally misled fans so they would shell out the 5 grand, go to the game, and preserve Penn State's reputation. Fuck them from now on.

I agree. I'm in Clearwater right now, fireworks in 1 hour, but tomorrows game will have Penn State missing 6 guys. That's fucking bullshit. And what's worse than that is that coach Franklin knew they weren't going to play weeks ago even though they just announced their withdraw this week. That means that Franklin and these kids, who constantly attest to their gratitude to the university and especially the fans, are all self serving lying bastards who intentionally misled fans so they would shell out the 5 grand, go to the game, and preserve Penn State's reputation. Fuck them from now on.
I hear you but you’re asking these kids to risk potentially millions of dollars so you get to see them play in basically a meaningless game. Are all you PSU fans going to shell out the money some kid misses out on because he got hurt playing in the “No One Gives A Shit Bowl” and doesn’t get drafted?

Just about every game, Bama leaves me in some doubt and keeps things interesting. I hope to see them beat the crap out of Michigan. BUT, I'll take a one-point win ;)

Blowouts are fun if you hate the team they play.

But I like a closer game. But beating the hell out of harbaugh sounds great.

I can't begrudge the players from not wanting to play in these meaningless bowl games. At the highest levels of the sport, there are millions of dollars they stand to lose if they are injured.

That means that Franklin and these kids, who constantly attest to their gratitude to the university and especially the fans, are all self serving lying bastards who intentionally misled fans so they would shell out the 5 grand, go to the game, and preserve Penn State's reputation.
This isn't about you or your feelings.

This isn't about you or your feelings.
This is about my money and many other strong supporters money. When the TV money dries up, the bowl games pay half and when coaches salaries and players perks are cut in half, who's the smart one then. And I don't want to be lectured about loyalty and gratitude that these assholes proport to have for their supporters. They're ingrates and they blow.

This is about my money and many other strong supporters money. When the TV money dries up, the bowl games pay half and when coaches salaries and players perks are cut in half, who's the smart one then. And I don't want to be lectured about loyalty and gratitude that these assholes proport to have for their supporters. They're ingrates and they blow.
You are correct that it’s about money. It about the piles of money these kids stand to lose if they get injured playing in a meaningless game.

Well at least college ball is not changing their names around like in the NFL where are the PC fascists are................yet anyway

1641010635608.png

Are you watching the Ole Miss game? Matt Corral starting QBs for ole miss and projected to go in the first round maybe the first qb to be taken just went down with a lower leg injury. I really hope he’s ok but that’s why you dont play in meaningless games.

The athletes rarely sit out the playoffs. The rest of the bowl games are essentially meaningless except to the fan of a given team.

The student athlete has given plenty back. Working their ass off for the game and working their ass off maintaining their academics is pretty much 2 full time jobs.

In any given game an athlete can sustain a career ending injury. They get to decide whether they play or not. No one else.

Are you watching the Ole Miss game? Matt Corral starting QBs for ole miss and projected to go in the first round maybe the first qb to be taken just went down with a lower leg injury. I really hope he’s ok but that’s why you dont play in meaningless games.

He is a helluva QB. Hope the injury is not bad.

Your hair trigger overreaction here is similar to calling the Jan 6 protest an insurrection. Football is a violent game and getting hurt is always an option. That's what you do. But there were 43 bowl games and let's figure there were 20 NFL eligible players that played in each of those games. That's 860 prospects and I'm not hearing about any other victims. And let's not forget that football is a business. It's not just a game any more when you reach D1 NCAA level.

Your hair trigger overreaction here is similar to calling the Jan 6 protest an insurrection. Football is a violent game and getting hurt is always an option. That's what you do. But there were 43 bowl games and let's figure there were 20 NFL eligible players that played in each of those games. That's 860 prospects and I'm not hearing about any other victims. And let's not forget that football is a business. It's not just a game any more when you reach D1 NCAA level.
There are only 7 rounds and 32 teams. Only 259 players were taken in 2021, so there aren't anywhere near that many NFL prospects in those games.
53 man roster, 32 teams, which means there are less than 1700 NFL roster spots, plus another 320 practice squad spots. But we aren't talking about a guy who's on the cusp or a late round pick whose decision to play could push him up the draft board. We are talking about rd 1 or rd 2 guys here so 32-64 dudes. Guys who likely aren't moving up no matter how they play these NFL teams already know who they are so the upside is basically zero for them. 29 players sat out. Dare I say there are a good number of 1st rd draft picks on the 4 playoff teams. So it would appear that the reason you didn't hear about a bunch of high-level players getting hurt in their meaningless bowl games is that the vast majority of them weren't playing. But even if none of them get hurt expecting them to take that risk is unreasonable.

And you are right it's a business. The average salary difference from rd 1 to rd 2 is 12 million dollars, to rd 3 it's 13-14. So you want these players to risk 12-14 million dollars because it's less entertaining for you, meanwhile there's no upside for them? They would be crazy to play. Matt Corral was crazy to play and Im sure he's regretting it right now. Hopefully he's fine and he was kept out and on crutches in an overabundance of caution. The idea that these players owe you or other fans anything is insane. They have more than paid back anything the University gave them.

Remeber Jake Butt. TE for Michigan a few years back? Tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl. He was projected to as the 3-4th TE in the draft. That contract would have been worth 6-8 million with about 2.5 mil in signing bonus. Jake Butt got 2.7m with a 301k sb. He would have made more in his rookie year than his entire contract was worth had he sat out.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back