Re. Game of Thrones

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
Please, no spoilers. I've only just finished the second series. However, I have a question for all my fellow aficionados.

Are you familiar with some of the accents carried by some of the characters, specifically the likes of Jon Snow, the late Ned Stark and Theon Greyjoy?

I honestly don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but on another forum I use the overall consensus among the American users is that the accents carried by the characters I've mentioned are deliberately affected for dramatic effect, and aren't found beyond the fictional Seven Kingdoms.

Now, I appreciate that USMB's fans of Downton Abbey will have encountered these accents before, but I've drawn comparisons between the accents in Game of Thrones and Downton elsewhere on the internet only to be met with scepticism, usually along the lines of: 'Nah, they're made-up or altered for variety' etc. etc.

If you placed two people from Philadelphia and Boston before me and got one to speak after the other, yes, I would easily be able to discern the Bahshton accent from the other.

Now that we've got that cleared-up, would you be so kind as to answer the question posed in my OP?

you do realise there are alot fewer people in briton than in the US and that most Americans never hear any british accent except on TV right?

all areas have differing accents our area is much bigger

That much is obvious, but rather beside the point. Furthermore, Game of Thrones was written by an American and is produced by an American company.

Anyway, are you going to answer the question? I certainly won't hold it against you if you can't.

Please, no spoilers. I've only just finished the second series. However, I have a question for all my fellow aficionados.

Are you familiar with some of the accents carried by some of the characters, specifically the likes of Jon Snow, the late Ned Stark and Theon Greyjoy?

I honestly don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but on another forum I use the overall consensus among the American users is that the accents carried by the characters I've mentioned are deliberately affected for dramatic effect, and aren't found beyond the fictional Seven Kingdoms.

Now, I appreciate that USMB's fans of Downton Abbey will have encountered these accents before, but I've drawn comparisons between the accents in Game of Thrones and Downton elsewhere on the internet only to be met with scepticism, usually along the lines of: 'Nah, they're made-up or altered for variety' etc. etc.

It was addressed when Arya Stark was working for Tywin Lannister as a server. He noticed that she continuously called him MY Lord where anyone else in her class (as a server) always says M'Lord. I think it has to do with what you've always known rather than what part of the country you're from in this case.

Last edited:

It was addressed when Arya Stark was working for Tywin Lannister as a server. He noticed that she continuously called him MY Lord where anyone else in her class (as a server) always says M'Lord. I think it has to do with what you've always known rather than what part of the country you're from in this case.

Sarah, with all due respect, I don't think you've grasped what I'm getting at here. Regardless of whether or not someone says "m'lord" instead of "my Lord" (which is actually a working-class diminutive found in every region of the UK and Ireland), can you identify where the accents carried by the characters I've mentioned come from?

PS. Despite being part of the Stark family, Arya doesn't share the dialect spoken by her brothers and late father.

If I heard them speak outside of the series then I suppose I would be able to tell if they're deliberately altering their accent, but other than that I couldn't say. I guess I know that Peter Dinklage is doing a false accent, since he's American. So I guess the answer to your question is no, I'm not familiar with the accents aside from, "Oh, that sounds English."

Forum List

Back