Reagan Would Have Supported Gay Marriage

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
According his daughter.

Reagan's daughter Patti Davis, 60, tells The New York Times that her father -- who had a checkered history with the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community during his presidency -- would have supported marriage equality and "been puzzled" by the opposition to same-sex marriage.

Davis cited Reagan's "distate for government intrusion into private lives," as well as his Hollywood connections and close friendship with a lesbian couple that his children affectionately referred to as their aunts as reasons she believed her father would have been in favor of gay marriage, according to writer Sheryl Gay Stolberg.

He and I would have supported it for the same reason. Those who want it outlawed are the ones who truly support "Big Gubmint" control over people's personal lives.

Ronald Reagan Would Have Supported Gay Marriage, Daughter Patti Davis Claims

According his daughter.

Reagan's daughter Patti Davis, 60, tells The New York Times that her father -- who had a checkered history with the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community during his presidency -- would have supported marriage equality and "been puzzled" by the opposition to same-sex marriage.

Davis cited Reagan's "distate for government intrusion into private lives," as well as his Hollywood connections and close friendship with a lesbian couple that his children affectionately referred to as their aunts as reasons she believed her father would have been in favor of gay marriage, according to writer Sheryl Gay Stolberg.

He and I would have supported it for the same reason. Those who want it outlawed are the ones who truly support "Big Gubmint" control over people's personal lives.

Briggs Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was against the Briggs Initiative while governor.

Leave it to the left to attempt to portray speculation as fact. Nuff said.

According his daughter.

I'm not completely certain about this, but I think the odds are that this statement is most likely correct. Of course, as much as conservatives today like to put Reagan on a pedestal, they wouldn't support him today because he would not be "conservative enough".

I tend to think he would not. There's no doubt that like Goldwater he simply wasn't much interested in what gays and lesbians did or in restraining what they did. Of course, no doubt he encountered as many or more of them than he did commies in his Hollywierd years.

But, during the aids scare, he really didn't evidence much interest in using govt to assist them. It seemed more a sense of "I'll leave you alone, and don't bother me, cause I don't wanna know."

According his daughter.

he was friends with Rock Hudson and Montgomery Clift....

I tend to think he would not. There's no doubt that like Goldwater he simply wasn't much interested in what gays and lesbians did or in restraining what they did. Of course, no doubt he encountered as many or more of them than he did commies in his Hollywierd years.

But, during the aids scare, he really didn't evidence much interest in using govt to assist them. It seemed more a sense of "I'll leave you alone, and don't bother me, cause I don't wanna know."

I don't think he would have either. Oh, it might have not been a big deal in his private life, but he was a politician and he would have known that public support for such a thing in the 80's would have ended his political career.

>>>>

And leave it to a moron like you to try and say his daughter didn't say that. That's the only fact that was stated. Nuff said.

I don't think he would have either. Oh, it might have not been a big deal in his private life, but he was a politician and he would have known that public support for such a thing in the 80's would have ended his political career.

>>>>

And we've since evolved. Stating one is for gay marriage does not end political careers anymore.

>>>>

And we've since evolved. Stating one is for gay marriage does not end political careers anymore.

That depends upon where the pol is from. And, it may disqualify one from getting the Gop nomination. I hope not, but suspect it will.

>>>>

That depends upon where the pol is from. And, it may disqualify one from getting the Gop nomination. I hope not, but suspect it will.

There's cracks in that wall too.

According his daughter.

Seems that it is the gay activists that are seeking to 'change government' or 'use the power of government', you have it backwards. ;)

According his daughter.

Seems that it is the gay activists that are seeking to 'change government' or 'use the power of government', you have it backwards. ;)

Changing government by dropping some laws on the books. Isn't that lesser government intrusion? Isn't that a Conservative tenet?

According his daughter.

Not at the expense of getting beaten in an election, he wouldn't support it.

Yes, he had many gblt friends and acquaintances.

Yes, he thought the laws and attitudes were dumb.

No, he was not going to oppose the majority on the issue.

>>>>

I have to agree with Bendog on that one Bod. It depends on the career level (local, state, federal) and the constituents involved in the election. Running as a Representative for the San Mateo district, meh, probably wouldn't be an issue. Running as a Representative for the Meridian, MS district, that would probably be an issue.

It will probably take another generation or two for the more rural areas.

>>>>

According his daughter.

Where are gay activits trying to deny different-sex couples from Civilly Marrying or requiring that someone only be able to Civilly Marry someone of the same gender?

>>>>>

And leave it to a moron like you to try and say his daughter didn't say that. That's the only fact that was stated. Nuff said.

Then maybe your thread title should have read more like, Reagan's daughter thinks her dad might have supported gay marriage. But you didn't allow the facts to get in the way of a good story did ya. And as stated, it's all speculation and I didn't say she didn't do so. So maybe you should take your moron ass to a reading comprehension class.

Forum List

Back