Reasons to believe/disbelieve

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Disbelieve:

-no religion is original. Presumedly there is a first religion, but you'd be hard-pressed to name it since religions date back at least before the invention of writing.

-gods never seem to do anything overt and irrefutable. Ever seen someone do a miracle, or only ever just read about it (or seen a video?) I've seen videos of many things that I nonetheless don't literally believe in (honest politicians come readily to mind.) :)

-most every religion makes a big deal about faith. To me that says 'we conceed we can't prove a single word of this so you have to have faith.' I believe in the Sun. If I lie out exposing my bare skin to it for long enough I'll get sunburned whether I believe in it or not. But I don't believe if I say bad things about Jesus, God, or the Holy Spirit I'll be punished, incur bad luck, or otherwise suffer for it. If GOd really punished such things why do more than a few comedians openly mock, insult, and defy God in their routines and not then get into a car accident on the way home...(winces) Bad example, sorry. ;)

-if a given religion is true, what about the 25,000 or so others?

Believe:

-gods might well exist but our religions about them be wrong.

-if God conclusively proved it existed to us, and to everyone who ever demanded such proof, would we still have free will to worship it or not? Or would we all worship and submit being way below it on the food chain out of simple self-interest and self-preservation? By refusing to prove its' existence God enables choice. Plus, irrefutable proof isn't ideal anyway. The Exodus Jews fleeing from Egypt across the desert had such evidence. They'd just seen God kick Pharaoh's butt with the plagues and free the Jews from slavery. He then gave them food, water, and other things to survive in open desert en route' to the Promised Land. Despite this mountain of proof the Jews didn't then trust God continually complaining to Moses wanting more and more. They they believed God existed, they didn't have any faith.

-nothing lost believing in God, if not also a particular religion. Be good people, assets, not liabilities, to your community and neighbors, do all the good stuff religions talk about and ignore the rest. As the Jewish commandment says 'immitate God and His upright ways.' Not 'immitate Jews/Christians/Muslims/Hindus/etc. and all their ways. Just God's upright ones.

-perhaps all the various reasons not to believe are by design? See who really has faith and love for God even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

-simple risk analysis: don't believe and you're wrong, you're in trouble. Believe and you're wrong, no big deal. Not the best reason being kinda craven, but works. :)

Believe:

-if God conclusively proved it existed to us, and to everyone who ever demanded such proof, would we still have free will to worship it or not? Or would we all worship and submit being way below it on the food chain out of simple self-interest and self-preservation? By refusing to prove its' existence God enables choice. Plus, irrefutable proof isn't ideal anyway. The Exodus Jews fleeing from Egypt across the desert had such evidence. They'd just seen God kick Pharaoh's butt with the plagues and free the Jews from slavery. He then gave them food, water, and other things to survive in open desert en route' to the Promised Land. Despite this mountain of proof the Jews didn't then trust God continually complaining to Moses wanting more and more. They they believed God existed, they didn't have any faith.

-nothing lost believing in God, if not also a particular religion. Be good people, assets, not liabilities, to your community and neighbors, do all the good stuff religions talk about and ignore the rest. As the Jewish commandment says 'immitate God and His upright ways.' Not 'immitate Jews/Christians/Muslims/Hindus/etc. and all their ways. Just God's upright ones.

-perhaps all the various reasons not to believe are by design? See who really has faith and love for God even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

-simple risk analysis: don't believe and you're wrong, you're in trouble. Believe and you're wrong, no big deal. Not the best reason being kinda craven, but works. :)

What free will? If you believe you go to heaven if you don't burn in hell for eternity? What kind of shit is that? Why would a god do that? Only a lying cult would come up with that spin. Now if they said if you don't believe then your spirit just dies and believers go to heaven, that wouldn't be such a mind fuck. But to come up with hell? That's some sick shit. Who would choose hell? No one. So anyone who says they truly don't believe TRULY doesn't believe because they have even blown off the threat of being tortured for eternity.

Why would god care so much? And wouldn't he reward intelligence? Why would a god reward anyone for believing lying churches and ignorant ancestors superstitions?

I think there is something lost in believing in god. It keeps you ignorant of the facts. What creates lightening? We use to think it was god. Thanks to science we know better now.

And if there is a god, believing that you can be a prick your whole life and just because you believe in jesus you go to heaven, is not a good thing to believe. If there is a god, I think he would reward a kind atheist over a greedy christian. So belief in god doesn't make good people, it makes bad people feel better about themselves. For example, how is god doing over in Gaza with the Muslims and Jews? Don't they all believe in god? So god is not doing a very good job. Maybe those people need to be educated. They are fighting each other because they hate jews/muslims. And the muslims hate the christians and we hate the muslims. We're in bed with the jews and we go along with their murdering arabs. Get it? God's not helping.

Have to admit I stopped reading in the first graph. Maybe someone who doesn't mind profanity will debate with you, but it really bugs me.

Disbelieve:

-no religion is original. Presumedly there is a first religion, but you'd be hard-pressed to name it since religions date back at least before the invention of writing.

-gods never seem to do anything overt and irrefutable. Ever seen someone do a miracle, or only ever just read about it (or seen a video?) I've seen videos of many things that I nonetheless don't literally believe in (honest politicians come readily to mind.) :)

-most every religion makes a big deal about faith. To me that says 'we conceed we can't prove a single word of this so you have to have faith.' I believe in the Sun. If I lie out exposing my bare skin to it for long enough I'll get sunburned whether I believe in it or not. But I don't believe if I say bad things about Jesus, God, or the Holy Spirit I'll be punished, incur bad luck, or otherwise suffer for it. If GOd really punished such things why do more than a few comedians openly mock, insult, and defy God in their routines and not then get into a car accident on the way home...(winces) Bad example, sorry. ;)

-if a given religion is true, what about the 25,000 or so others?

Believe:

I don't think any of those are reasons, just justifications. The only reason to believe is because you believe, whether that belief is positive or negative. If I were to offer you $1 million if you were to believe in something you don't believe, could you do it? I don't mean could you claim to, but actually suddenly start to believe it as a matter of choice.

Forum List

Back