Recidivism Rates for NYC Criminals are Off the Charts

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
It looks like the bail reform law from a few years ago is getting the results normal people expected, and the progressives who passed it said would not occur.

How these numbers are not attracting the attention of lawmakers and moving them toward repealing this law is a mystery. More than one in five criminals who were first charged with shoplifting or mass looting went on to be charged with a felony. In 2017, just 8.5% of shoplifters were later charged with felonies.

The same pattern was seen in burglaries. Nearly one-quarter of burglary suspects were re-arrested within 60 days. In 2017 that number was 7%. Those charged with automobile theft who went on to be charged again less than six months later more than doubled.

Under the new law, the only people who are charged with burglary or robbery who are eligible to be held on bail are those who use a deadly weapon or commit assault on the victim. All others are “ROR’d” or “released on recognizance.”

It used to be the criminal had to spend some time in jail while bail was worked out, or they were detained pending trial. Now they go back onto the street, and the joke is they get back to the neighborhood they were arrested in before the cop that arrested them goes back on patrol.

Recidivism rates for NYC criminals are off the charts

It looks like the bail reform law from a few years ago is getting the results normal people expected, and the progressives who passed it said would not occur.

It used to be the criminal had to spend some time in jail while bail was worked out, or they were detained pending trial. Now they go back onto the street, and the joke is they get back to the neighborhood they were arrested in before the cop that arrested them goes back on patrol.

/——-/

Since you already started a thread on the subject I wanted to discuss this. This is a problem.

Over 60 percent (63.8%) of violent offenders recidivated by being rearrested for a new crime or for a violation of supervision conditions.

I was asking in another thread if we need longer sentences or better prison system where when we let them out, they leave better people than when they went in. Today they leave worse people than when they went in. And we are letting them out in 5, 10 or 15 years. Even if a 20 year old monster serves 20 years, he leaves a 40 year old monster. And bigger too because he lifted weights. LOL

Since you already started a thread on the subject I wanted to discuss this. This is a problem.

Over 60 percent (63.8%) of violent offenders recidivated by being rearrested for a new crime or for a violation of supervision conditions.

I was asking in another thread if we need longer sentences or better prison system where when we let them out, they leave better people than when they went in. Today they leave worse people than when they went in. And we are letting them out in 5, 10 or 15 years. Even if a 20 year old monster serves 20 years, he leaves a 40 year old monster. And bigger too because he lifted weights. LOL

The problem is some people are just assholes. I was a fan of "3 strikes" laws before, and I am now.

Try to rehab the ones that can be rehabbed, after a few tries with the rest, lock them up for good.

The problem is some people are just assholes. I was a fan of "3 strikes" laws before, and I am now.

Try to rehab the ones that can be rehabbed, after a few tries with the rest, lock them up for good.
Ever watch that show 60 days in? They should have undercover cops in every prison and anyone acting badly and not remorseful should be separated from the sheep. Sheep we can one day let out. Wolves we lock up forever. And cameras to show the parole board and judges their bad behavior.

No more 20 years out in 10. If you get 10 years, that's your sentence.

Now there are circumstances. One guy killed his girlfriend. They got in a fight and he choked her out. They got him to admit it in the interview. Admitting your crime and being remorseful should be duly noted. If you lied and insisted you were innocent and it goes to trial and you are found guilty, the book gets thrown at you.

Ever watch that show 60 days in? They should have undercover cops in every prison and anyone acting badly and not remorseful should be separated from the sheep. Sheep we can one day let out. Wolves we lock up forever. And cameras to show the parole board and judges their bad behavior.

No more 20 years out in 10. If you get 10 years, that's your sentence.

Now there are circumstances. One guy killed his girlfriend. They got in a fight and he choked her out. They got him to admit it in the interview. Admitting your crime and being remorseful should be duly noted. If you lied and insisted you were innocent and it goes to trial and you are found guilty, the book gets thrown at you.

Good luck getting things like that in the cities it's needed most, because the current vogue criminal justice theory is the criminals are the real victims.

Good luck getting things like that in the cities it's needed most, because the current vogue criminal justice theory is the criminals are the real victims.

Prison reform is needed. On 60 days in this one guy undercover started a talent show. Suddenly the biggest problem cons were good guys. Idol hands.

Or this woman encouraged a bunch of women to enroll in this program. None of them even thought to enroll in the program. It's for good prisoners who want to get a job when they get out. Or something like that. Those 5 women who signed up for the program, you can tell want to change.

And treat prisoners with respect. Ones who deserve it. Forget what they did to land them in jail. If you are going to let them out one day, you have to treat them with respect.

Prison reform is needed. On 60 days in this one guy undercover started a talent show. Suddenly the biggest problem cons were good guys. Idol hands.

Or this woman encouraged a bunch of women to enroll in this program. None of them even thought to enroll in the program. It's for good prisoners who want to get a job when they get out. Or something like that. Those 5 women who signed up for the program, you can tell want to change.

And treat prisoners with respect. Ones who deserve it. Forget what they did to land them in jail. If you are going to let them out one day, you have to treat them with respect.

They looked like good guys. for a few minutes. In front of cameras.

Prisoners in the US get too much respect sometimes.

They looked like good guys. for a few minutes. In front of cameras.

Prisoners in the US get too much respect sometimes.

When I watch First 48 I see these young (black men usually) men who I wonder if they didn't grow up in a ghetto raised by a single mother, would they have turned out this way?

Three young black men, supposed rappers and producers. The producer drove, the two rappers both shot at the guy in the passenger seat. So sloppy, cameras helped convict them. Then they are liars on the interview. I would give them life. LIFE.

And it's weird on this show. Some people get life, some get 20, some get 7 years. For the same thing. Cold blooded murder.

I wish we rethought who gets life and who gets out in 5 or 10 years. Not allow prosecutors to plea down 2nd degree murder to just manslaughter. IDK.

What would be best is if we can solve this on the front end. Who's kids are going to prison? Let's look at the common factors in these prisoners and stop that behavior. Not to be racist but let's try and stamp out white trash and n**#$rs in America. Why do we produce this still? It's fucking 2023. I thought things would change in 2000 but the more things change the more they stay the same.

When I watch First 48 I see these young (black men usually) men who I wonder if they didn't grow up in a ghetto raised by a single mother, would they have turned out this way?

Three young black men, supposed rappers and producers. The producer drove, the two rappers both shot at the guy in the passenger seat. So sloppy, cameras helped convict them. Then they are liars on the interview. I would give them life. LIFE.

And it's weird on this show. Some people get life, some get 20, some get 7 years. For the same thing. Cold blooded murder.

I wish we rethought who gets life and who gets out in 5 or 10 years. Not allow prosecutors to plea down 2nd degree murder to just manslaughter. IDK.

What would be best is if we can solve this on the front end. Who's kids are going to prison? Let's look at the common factors in these prisoners and stop that behavior. Not to be racist but let's try and stamp out white trash and n**#$rs in America. Why do we produce this still? It's fucking 2023. I thought things would change in 2000 but the more things change the more they stay the same.

If they couldn't plea down they couldn't get people to flip, and they couldn't get people to plea, and that would clog the courts. I have a relative who is a prosecutor, and convicting someone is more work than you think.

Free society coupled with government subsidizing bad behavior. I would leave the first and try to fix the second.

If they couldn't plea down they couldn't get people to flip, and they couldn't get people to plea, and that would clog the courts. I have a relative who is a prosecutor, and convicting someone is more work than you think.
Free society coupled with government subsidizing bad behavior. I would leave the first and try to fix the second.
I get it.

And I could see me killing someone and I wouldn't want our society to be so strict that I go to jail for life. Circumstances matter. Like two guys accused me of stealing from them. They came to my door with bats and golf clubs in hands. I luckily got the door closed and called the cops. I was thinking about leaving the door unlocked, taunting them to come after me if they have the balls, then running back to my room, grab my gun and wait for them to walk in. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. It's a 5 shot deringer revolver.

But based on what I did, I should be found guilty for not locking my door when I should have. But technically I should also have the right to shoot two guys in my home coming at me with weapons. Right?

All I'm saying is the guys on First 48 who get 10 years, I worry about those guys getting out in 10 years.

I get it.

And I could see me killing someone and I wouldn't want our society to be so strict that I go to jail for life. Circumstances matter. Like two guys accused me of stealing from them. They came to my door with bats and golf clubs in hands. I luckily got the door closed and called the cops. I was thinking about leaving the door unlocked, taunting them to come after me if they have the balls, then running back to my room, grab my gun and wait for them to walk in. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. It's a 5 shot deringer revolver.

But based on what I did, I should be found guilty for not locking my door when I should have. But technically I should also have the right to shoot two guys in my home coming at me with weapons. Right?

All I'm saying is the guys on First 48 who get 10 years, I worry about those guys getting out in 10 years.

You also probably won't disable two people with 5 shots from a derringer. I would be more worried about two pissed of bloody people beating you to a pulp than any legal issues.

You also probably won't disable two people with 5 shots from a derringer. I would be more worried about two pissed of bloody people beating you to a pulp than any legal issues.
That's you. I could probably take 3 guys out with that gun. I can probably take 2 guys out (if I turn evil) without a weapon. With that gun I'd be invincible. Like in those movies where the hero takes out 10 guys in a room? I would be surgical with those 5 shots. Got to get close.

As a college wrestler I understand the problem with taking one guy down with another guy free to do whatever he wants to me. But I souflay good. And with each takedown you get one in the skull. A quick roll to standing and I run at the second guy, who's now seeing a bad ass with a gun unleashing on him.

I've had guys pull bats on me. I walked straight up to them with confidence and took the bat right out of their hands. Do you watch Yellowstone? I'm like Rip. Or used to be. I feel like I still am but I'm not. Not at 53.

That's you. I could probably take 3 guys out with that gun. I can probably take 2 guys out (if I turn evil) without a weapon. With that gun I'd be invincible. Like in those movies where the hero takes out 10 guys in a room? I would be surgical with those 5 shots. Got to get close.

As a college wrestler I understand the problem with taking one guy down with another guy free to do whatever he wants to me. But I souflay good. And with each takedown you get one in the skull. A quick roll to standing and I run at the second guy, who's now seeing a bad ass with a gun unleashing on him.

I've had guys pull bats on me. I walked straight up to them with confidence and took the bat right out of their hands. Do you watch Yellowstone? I'm like Rip. Or used to be. I feel like I still am but I'm not. Not at 53.

Just remember the poem:

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
Jack see mugger, Jack give kick
Jack show daring, Jack show skill
Jack shown bullet, quicker still.

Forum List

Back