Reid Changing Filibuster Rules

Filibuster means you need 60 votes to agree to proceed to a vote where you need 51 votes to pass into law

Ass backwards.......end all filibusters

Lets not re litigate the ACA, The election settled that.

As to the OP, Reid did what had to be done to get the people's work done.

If Republicans don't like it....they can always reinstate the filibuster if they ever take the Senate again

Yep....and, the chances of them doing that when they do?

Republicans are honorable people. I'm sure that they would not continue a Democrat process that they call tyranny

Here's a fun fact: "In both parties, nearly every senator in office more than five years has been both for and against the nuclear option."

That may be true. Still, the best check and balance we have has always been met by having a higher bar to enact new powers or law. Constitutional Amendment requires 75%. Senate, constitutionally has the right to set up it's own rules for governing itself. It should stick to the rules it sets up to make the necessary changes it needs to make. It should not step outside of them. Personally, I support the 60 Vote requirement to end debate, I support it without regard to what Party is in charge. Flavor of the day whims of the simple majority usually do more harm than good. Measure twice, cut once. Some actions there is no undoing. We all lose.

Filibuster means you need 60 votes to agree to proceed to a vote where you need 51 votes to pass into law

Ass backwards.......end all filibusters

Jack-booted power always works out well. ...:lol:

Do you have any perception of what Jack-booted power is?

Just a hint.....it doesn't involve votes

You support going in the direction of jack booted power, the minority has power for obvious reasons. Have you forgotten what those are?

Last edited:
Jack-booted power always works out well. ...:lol:

You support going in the direction of jack booted power, the minority has power for obvious reasons. Have you forgotten what those are?
For pretty much most of our history, it didn't involve needing 60 votes for a president to receive "advice and consent" and install a nominee.

Seems like the jack boots are on the other foot.

For pretty much most of our history, it didn't involve needing 60 votes for a president to receive "advice and consent" and install a nominee.

Where did you learn your history and please explain in detail.

I'm in favor of this.

The Republicans have abused the filibuster. Half of all the judicial filibusters have occurred over the past 4.5 years. That's ridiculous.

Not like the far left abused it when the Republicans were in charge.

Now the far left can just have their way without any opposition, just like trying to pass Obamacare.

How often did Democrats filibuster judicial appointments when they were the minority party and Bush was President?

pretty often, as often as this? not sure. I'd say the term unprecedented though would not have been out place then either;)

Where did you learn your history and please explain in detail.
??

Are you arguing with my statement? You think it's not true?

can anyone really blame him for the "party of no" (hint- the party that couldn't win the Presidency or the senate :redface: ) simply blocking anything that moves for the past 4+ yrs? Sen. Reid is a statesman & a scholar

Reid threatens to go nuclear on filibuster reform | MSNBC
when republicans win control of the senate in 2014 they can lol at reid for this one

Not likely.

Particularly if there’s a preponderance of GOP/TPM candidates losing Senate elections, as occurred in 2010 and 2012.

please, the attack on 2nd amendment rights, obamacare, shit like this. the democrats have been their own worst enemy this year. republicans and the tea party will control the majority of the senate after 2014

Not like the far left abused it when the Republicans were in charge.

Now the far left can just have their way without any opposition, just like trying to pass Obamacare.

How often did Democrats filibuster judicial appointments when they were the minority party and Bush was President?

pretty often, as often as this? not sure. I'd say the term unprecedented though would not have been out place then either;)

There have been 160 filibusters of judicial appointments, ever. 80 have occurred over the past 4.5 years.

However, according to this piece, it appears that ~50 of Bush's appointees were either filibustered or delayed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_judicial_appointment_controversies

If Republicans don't like it....they can always reinstate the filibuster if they ever take the Senate again

Yep....and, the chances of them doing that when they do?

Republicans are honorable people. I'm sure that they would not continue a Democrat process that they call tyranny

Double snicker. The first is over the thought that Republicans are somehow honorable.

The second, well, you already know.

when republicans win control of the senate in 2014 they can lol at reid for this one

Not likely.

Particularly if there’s a preponderance of GOP/TPM candidates losing Senate elections, as occurred in 2010 and 2012.

please, the attack on 2nd amendment rights, obamacare, shit like this. the democrats have been their own worst enemy this year. republicans and the tea party will control the majority of the senate after 2014

I electoral history is our guide, and looking at the seats up for grabs, then the probability that the GOP will recapture the Senate is extremely high. But then again, I thought they were going to take the Senate in 2010, and dangnabbit if they didn't put up three of the whackiest, most fucked-up Tea Party clowns ever known to mankind...

Now, fast forward to 2012 and dangnabbit if the GOP didn't do it again by putting up at least two of the whackiest, most fucked-up Tea Party clowns ever known to mankind...

Let's wait until 2014 to see if I will be writing "dangnabbit" once again... ok?

:)

Forum List

Back