Religious Protests vs Free Market

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
Which should prevail? Extremist religious protesters who claim a right to free speech and assembly or the small family business owners who are having to shut down their businesses when they're disruptive?

Linsey Fasold, executive director of The Light House Children's Museum, which occupies the first floor of the Dreka building on the corner, said at Monday night's City Commission meeting that the church members' activities have scared away customers on Fridays.

“My husband and I opened it in November to provide a fun and safe environment ... for children in the community,” she said. “However each Friday we find that as the streets begin to fill with protesters, our facility begins to empty. For the two hours we remain open and the corners are filled with shouting and crammed with activists, we lose money.”

Agreeing with Fasold was John Ingles, owner of Musician's Exchange, which sits directly across the street. In recent weeks, he has begun closing his doors on Friday afternoons in protest of the weekly “circus,” as he calls it.

Who claim the right to free speech?

fuck you

we all have free speech you ignorant bag of filth.

gaddamn, only time liberals support the Constitution is to further spread what they want spread and the rest can fuck off.

fuck you ngt, you tyranny loving douche

Wait. So the free market means nothing to you guys????

Don't those business owners have a right to run their business too?

Posts # 2 and 3

EXACTLY what words are you reacting to?

Here's the OP I read -

Which should prevail? Extremist religious protesters who claim a right to free speech and assembly or the small family business owners who are having to shut down their businesses when they're disruptive?

What did you read that led to your posts?

Posts # 2 and 3

Here's the OP I read -

We all realize critical thinking is not your strong suit, so go play in the road with a plastic bag, ok?

Linsey Fasold, executive director of The Light House Children's Museum, which occupies the first floor of the Dreka building on the corner, said at Monday night's City Commission meeting that the church members' activities have scared away customers on Fridays.

“My husband and I opened it in November to provide a fun and safe environment ... for children in the community,” she said. “However each Friday we find that as the streets begin to fill with protesters, our facility begins to empty. For the two hours we remain open and the corners are filled with shouting and crammed with activists, we lose money.”

Agreeing with Fasold was John Ingles, owner of Musician's Exchange, which sits directly across the street. In recent weeks, he has begun closing his doors on Friday afternoons in protest of the weekly “circus,” as he calls it.

Do you have a problem with people protesting Christian business?

Then fuck off.

Now, to the absurdity of your post.

The church was there first, not the business. They have been doing the same thing for years, the business has been open for a few months. Now they are whinging because they get a break every Friday night. If they were protesting the business, which they are not, the business might have a point. I doubt it, but they might.

Posts # 2 and 3

Here's the OP I read -

Hey, brain dead asshole, you read wrong. The religious people are only extreme because the idiots don't like hearing about God. The church was there first, the only reason you would support the business over them is you have no concept of morals at all.

Posts # 2 and 3

Here's the OP I read -

Hey, brain dead asshole, you read wrong. The religious people are only extreme because the idiots don't like hearing about God. The church was there first, the only reason you would support the business over them is you have no concept of morals at all.

In other threads, some of you have sided with the small business.

But, of course, that was different because the customer was gay.

My own opinion has not changed: The preachers should be allowed to preach in their churches. But their rights end where mine begin.

I don't have the right to tear down their church and they don't have the right to harass me with their bible thumping.

As with all things, how about a compromise?

Posts # 2 and 3

Here's the OP I read -

My own opinion has not changed: The preachers should be allowed to preach in their churches. But their rights end where mine begin.

I don't have the right to tear down their church and they don't have the right to harass me with their bible thumping.

In other threads I support people being able to express themselves, even if they own a business. In this one I support people being able to express themselves even if they do not own a business. See the common factor yet?

By the way, the church is not protesting the business, so even if I had come out against people protesting a business, which I haven't, it wouldn't apply in this situation.

Did occupy wall street have a right to shut down businesses? Did gays have a right to protest at a bakery until it was forced to close?

That's your answer.

The businesses are free to promote their own events.

Imagine the music shop offering free hot dogs to everyone who brings a tuba, trombone or BIG drum to a Friday night sidewalk talent contest in front of the store.

Or the museum offering Friday night free admission and hot tamales to any adult accompanied by children wearing devil costumes.

Freedom means exactly that.

The church has been there for years......so it's not the problem.

Basically, the business owners should have scouted the store location better before they moved into the neighborhood.

So if they don't like it, then they need to relocate. .. :cool:

Wait. So the free market means nothing to you guys????

Don't those business owners have a right to run their business too?

is the free market against free speech? not allowing protected speech, would mean the market is not free.

LOL

you're a moron

Posts # 2 and 3

Here's the OP I read -

ZOMG, luddly only believes speech that doesn't "offend" him should be allowed....another tolerant liberal that only believes in free speech when he agrees with it.

thank goodness our founders weren't hacks like you.

A small group of counter-protesters has begun to show up on Fridays as well,

oooops, luddly and ntg forgot to mention that....those are the protesters....NOT the preaching

another NTG thread down the flames

A small group of counter-protesters has begun to show up on Fridays as well,

oooops, luddly and ntg forgot to mention that....those are the protesters....NOT the preaching

another NTG thread down the flames

Just to remind the retarded such as Yurt, neither I nor the business owners have a problem with the protesters religion. The problem is that they were disrupting their right to make a buck. But if it was gays protesting or some other group y'all would be having a fit.

Forum List

Back