Remember what I said about bipartisan bills?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Every time I tell people that the more support a bill has the dumber it is someone comes and and calls me names. Lets see who can support this bipartisan effort at gun control.

One measure to curb gun violence in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre took a major step forward in the Senate Monday when a bipartisan group of senators agreed to push a bill designed to crack down on gun trafficking.

The measure, the Stop Illegal Trafficking of Firearms Act of 2013, merges a Democratic effort by Sens. Pat Leahy (Vt.) and Dick Durbin (Ill.) with a similar effort by Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill). It also adds another Republican as a supporter, Maine's Susan Collins.

The bill would make it a crime -- with stiff penalties -- to purchase weapons on behalf of someone else who is barred from possessing weapons. Such "straw purchases" are believed to be the leading source of guns trafficked to criminals.

The future of the bill is uncertain -- as is another popular effort to strengthen background checks -- due in large part to adamant opposition from lawmakers who see any new guns laws as an infringement on the Second Amendment.
Gun Trafficking Bill Gets A Bipartisan Boost In Senate

want to know why I think this will pass with wide bipartisan support? Because federal law already makes gun trafficking a crime.

18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC § 924 - Penalties | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Did you catch that folks, they want to make it a crime to do something that is already illegal, and lots of folks here think these people are smart.

If it stops straw purchases, that isn't a bad thing. As long as there are protections for the law abiding citizen.

However, the lone R is a liberal from a liberal state and the other three are plain old extremists.

Hardly bi-partisan.

If it stops straw purchases, that isn't a bad thing. As long as there are protections for the law abiding citizen.

However, the lone R is a liberal from a liberal state and the other three are plain old extremists.

Hardly bi-partisan.

Did you notice I actually provided links to current law that already does that? How is it a good thing to pass a law to make something illegal that is already illegal? Is it because we have to do something, even if it is incredibly stupid?

Every time I tell people that the more support a bill has the dumber it is someone comes and and calls me names. Lets see who can support this bipartisan effort at gun control.

One measure to curb gun violence in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre took a major step forward in the Senate Monday when a bipartisan group of senators agreed to push a bill designed to crack down on gun trafficking.

The measure, the Stop Illegal Trafficking of Firearms Act of 2013, merges a Democratic effort by Sens. Pat Leahy (Vt.) and Dick Durbin (Ill.) with a similar effort by Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill). It also adds another Republican as a supporter, Maine's Susan Collins.

The bill would make it a crime -- with stiff penalties -- to purchase weapons on behalf of someone else who is barred from possessing weapons. Such "straw purchases" are believed to be the leading source of guns trafficked to criminals.

The future of the bill is uncertain -- as is another popular effort to strengthen background checks -- due in large part to adamant opposition from lawmakers who see any new guns laws as an infringement on the Second Amendment.

want to know why I think this will pass with wide bipartisan support? Because federal law already makes gun trafficking a crime.

18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC § 924 - Penalties | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Did you catch that folks, they want to make it a crime to do something that is already illegal, and lots of folks here think these people are smart.

Now since we already have laws that make it illegal to give buy or sale firearms to people who can't legally own them why make more new laws?
Is it so they can say they did something when election time comes?
And if they say that I will ask them has it worked in the past?

The sdolution is simple.

Keep tabs on how many guns people purchase legally.

If soembody buys a lot regularly conduct and inspection to see how many they actually have.

If they don't have those guns, then they'd best have records of their sales leading to individuals who can own guns legally.

The sdolution is simple.

If soembody buys a lot regularly conduct and inspection to see how many they actually have.

If they don't have those guns, then they'd best have records of their sales leading to individuals who can own guns legally.

How very Big Brother of you.

But, but, but....it's bipartisan and it shows the public how serious these people are when it comes to our safety and public welfare!! They don't care that it's already against the law, those laws haven't worked. Their new-fangled law will work. It has to work, children will die if their law doesn't work!

It proves that they are doing something... And I would approve of this if they make it retro active and applicable to those in the Government who ordered the FFL holders to sell those guns that ended up being used in Fast and Furious and they were prosecuted and sentenced to the max.

Like i've always said, bipartisan bills are merely bills where both parties agree to screw the people for their mutual benefit.

The sdolution is simple.

Can we do the same if they purchase cars?

Forum List

Back