Rescued after 66 days lost at sea...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
At first blush, a harrowing story of a successful struggle against overwhelming odds:

Louis Jordan, 37, who went missing more than two months ago, was rescued from the overturned hull of his sailboat 200 miles off the North Carolina coast. Sailors aboard the Houston Express, a German-flagged container ship, spotted his sailboat Angel off the coast of Cape Hatteras and took him aboard.

Coast Guard officials in Portsmouth, Virginia, said they received word from a German tanker about 1:30 p.m. indicating they spotted a man and his sailboat approximately 200 miles east of Cape Hatteras.

The man marooned for 66 days, less than a week after setting sail on his 35-foot boat “Angel” from Bucksport Marina in South Carolina on Jan. 29, was finally reunited with his family after their hopes were beginning to wear thin.

Said to be relatively healthy, a visibly ecstatic Jordan told his rescuers that he survived by catching fish and drinking rain water.

Sailor Louis Jordan survived on pancakes rainwater and fish when lost in the Sea for 66 days

Last edited:
But, the NYT seems to insinuate that this may be a hoax:

Sailor Lost at Sea Is Rescued, but Details of Ordeal Are Hazy

By JOHN CORRALESAPRIL 3, 2015

Continue reading the main story Video
missing-sailor-rescue-videoSixteenByNine540.jpg

Play Video|1:02
Coast Guard Airlifts Rescued Sailor
Coast Guard Airlifts Rescued Sailor

A video shows the Coast Guard retrieving Louis Jordan from a container ship that found him off the North Carolina coast 66 days after his sailboat capsized.

By U.S. Coast Guard on Publish Date April 3, 2015. Photo by Steve Earley/The Virginian-Pilot, via Associated Press.

The Coast Guard rescue technician was surprised by what he saw as he descended from a helicopter to retrieve Louis Jordan, who had been lost at sea for two months, from a German container ship below.

The technician, Petty Officer Kyle McCollum, found Mr. Jordan standing on his own power on the deck of the ship, which the petty officer said was unusual for someone who had been clinging to the hull of his overturned sailboat, surviving on raw fish and rainwater.

“I was amazed on first impression,” Petty Officer McCollum said of Mr. Jordan, who was last seen Jan. 23 when he sailed out of a marina in Conway, S.C. “Looking at him from the cabin as he was standing there, I wasn’t sure if that was the guy we were getting or not. We were expecting the worst, with blisters and sunburns which could lead to severe dehydration and starving.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/04/us/missing-sailor-found-after-more-than-two-months-at-sea.html

He survived eating raw fish, he looks healthy and in good spirits to me! :)

Good for him!

New information:

"The waves were huge, the wind was strong," Jordan said. "I'm an inexperienced sailor. I haven't had a lot of time on the water."

Jordan survived with a little luck and resourcefulness. On Saturday, his father told CBS News the boat righted itself after capsizing, so Jordan was able to take shelter in the cabin -- which explains why he wasn't sunburned.

There was also an ample supply of canned food on board. When that ran out, Jordan figured out how to fish without a pole.

"I lured them from their hiding place with a shirt on a rope," Jordan said. "And then I just took my hand net and just scooped them up."

He also used buckets and an inflatable raft to catch rainwater, which almost didn't come in time.

New details on how sailor Louis Jordan survived 66 days lost at sea - CBS News

Forum List

Back