Responisible Pet Owners

Alex.

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2014
I was out hiking yesterday and I saw this and helped the dog get off the thin ice. I was soaked and it was freezing. The dog could have fallen through at any time. It was unsure of its steps and looked frightened.

IMG_1483_zpslymod6gr.jpg

IMG_1484_zpscmz5nsue.jpg

BTW the owner was talking and did not even know where their dog was.

I guess this is a PET PEEVE of mine:mad:

If you have a pet please be a responsible owner:D

I just watched a video of firefighters rescuing a dog in the ice, it was just about dead..

Bless your heart! You could have fallen through the ice too.

It is a big Pet Peeve of mine too..

Why did you pause to take photos?

I was calling the dog to come over and I am something of photographer so I always have a cam on me. No sense in going out there and approaching the dog.

You probably saved that dogs life. Good job!
The dog was so scared and confused.

I've been on ice even harder than that. The pictures you captured are amazing because you can see the old timer start to feel the ice crack. It can happen in the tiniest of spots even though the other ice is like 3 feet deep. You captured his face at that exact moment. And then it goes out like a spider web of cracks.

It's a ruh roh like you never felt before.

Well done. Well captured.

Last edited:

I was calling the dog to come over and I am something of photographer so I always have a cam on me. No sense in going out there and approaching the dog.

I have stopped traffic before to grab a dog in the middle of the street..found his home...why have a dog if they aren't your priority..
But I did have a beagle that lived to escape ..lol

You probably saved that dogs life. Good job!
The dog was so scared and confused.

I've been on ice even harder than that. The pictures you captured are amazing because you can see the old timer start to feel the ice crack. It can happen in the tiniest of spots even though the other ice is like 3 feet deep. You captured his face at that exact moment. And then it goes out like a spider web of cracks.

It's a ruh roh like you never felt before.

Well done. Well captured.
Thanks tinydancer. Just one of those moments

Good Job! It's a pet peeve of mine as well.

About a month or so ago, the people next door got a puppy (very young, still had it's milk teeth), and they let it out to go pee. Well, it seems that they had something they had to do, so they left the puppy outside in about 30 degree weather.

I had to go to the store that day, and heard some whimpering coming from under the car, and saw the puppy sitting there shivering and trying to stay warm. Well, I went back inside and told my room mate about the puppy, and she told me to take it out some dog treats, and see what happened. I put some treats in a sheltered corner, and left him to eat safely while I pulled out the car and did my errand.

When I got back, the puppy was still there, so I asked my roomie if I could bring it inside to warm him up and give him some water. When she saw him, she immediately liked the puppy (even though the cat didn't), and we discussed keeping him if we couldn't find the owner. I figured it was some neighbor (like I said, it was a really young puppy), and would check up and down the street after 5:00 pm.

First place I tried was next door, and they were sitting there playing video games. I asked if they had lost a puppy and they said yes, and told me what it looked like, which happened to be the puppy that I had over at my house.

My roomie told me that if it happens again, we're gonna have a dog.

Yes, people who don't watch over their pets and put them in unnecessary danger piss me off as well.

Cripes I live in ice fishing land with cabins on ice sporting beer gardens guys. I am never ever going out there but I know my ice and I do wish more dog owners would be more careful this time of year. Just a couple of minutes on an old timer on ice with no way to get to them your dog is dead. Drowned dead. Get real people and don't let them run on ice.

I have stopped traffic before to grab a dog in the middle of the street..found his home...why have a dog if they aren't your priority..
But I did have a beagle that lived to escape ..lol

I got one of my cats that way. I parked my car in the middle of the highway and stopped traffic both ways and then scooped her up. Animals should have the right a way always!

Good Job! It's a pet peeve of mine as well.

About a month or so ago, the people next door got a puppy (very young, still had it's milk teeth), and they let it out to go pee. Well, it seems that they had something they had to do, so they left the puppy outside in about 30 degree weather.

I had to go to the store that day, and heard some whimpering coming from under the car, and saw the puppy sitting there shivering and trying to stay warm. Well, I went back inside and told my room mate about the puppy, and she told me to take it out some dog treats, and see what happened. I put some treats in a sheltered corner, and left him to eat safely while I pulled out the car and did my errand.

When I got back, the puppy was still there, so I asked my roomie if I could bring it inside to warm him up and give him some water. When she saw him, she immediately liked the puppy (even though the cat didn't), and we discussed keeping him if we couldn't find the owner. I figured it was some neighbor (like I said, it was a really young puppy), and would check up and down the street after 5:00 pm.

First place I tried was next door, and they were sitting there playing video games. I asked if they had lost a puppy and they said yes, and told me what it looked like, which happened to be the puppy that I had over at my house.

My roomie told me that if it happens again, we're gonna have a dog.

Yes, people who don't watch over their pets and put them in unnecessary danger piss me off as well.

:)

Keep talking to the cat. She's going to get a buddy. Buy her lots and lots of treats and a cat scratching pole that she can hammer down on.

:lol:

Seriously though, I've done rescue for so many years. Only if you want this baby. And I'm not alone on this board. Many good people here that can help you with rescue.

I specialize in rare breeds (used to breed Louisiana Catahoulas) to try to find placements but I'm pretty good on poodles too. And other adorable mugwumps. If they dump her again and you go into a "found situation" make sure you get it out here to us because we can help you with seizure.

I love dogs, last one I had broke my heart. They are like kids, they get away from you, you don't own them, and they have free wills and a character of their own and there isn't much you can do about it. I don't want anymore pets or kids.

I have always had large dogs..I found out I had cancer, and my dog had cancer ( 2nd time )in the same week last May. She died a week later.... I cried and cried...my family insisted I get another dog right away.
I found my awesome Eloise ( small poodle mix ) in a shelter , she hasn't left my side since. I am training her to be a support dog, she goes everywhere with me.

Also I have never been a cat person...but 4 of them found me..2 are outside and won't come in..2 are inside. All are neutered...lol

I love dogs, last one I had broke my heart. They are like kids, they get away from you, you don't own them, and they have free wills and a character of their own and there isn't much you can do about it. I don't want anymore pets or kids.

I'm trying to figure out how to go into this good night responsibly.

Not ancient. Got a lot of good years left. I'm thinking more and more and this is a big deal how to take on terminally ill pets that have been abandoned and be their sanctuary till death.

I'm going the other way. Why dear heart would you abandon a calling that clearly you loved before. Oh and tell me about pain. When I lost all my catahoulas I thought I would leave all my sanity behind but you work through it.

Takes a couple of years battling it out on a good message board but you do work thru this.

I'm thinking the old. I'm thinking the now. I'm thinking a lot of bucket lists for a lot of old timers. I think I can do it and inspire others to do the same.

I'm trying to figure out how to go into this good night responsibly.

Not ancient. Got a lot of good years left. I'm thinking more and more and this is a big deal how to take on terminally ill pets that have been abandoned and be their sanctuary till death.

I'm going the other way. Why dear heart would you abandon a calling that clearly you loved before. Oh and tell me about pain. When I lost all my catahoulas I thought I would leave all my sanity behind but you work through it.

Takes a couple of years battling it out on a good message board but you do work thru this.

I'm thinking the old. I'm thinking the now. I'm thinking a lot of bucket lists for a lot of old timers. I think I can do it and inspire others to do the same.

Makes me cry how kind of you...Bless your heart...Go for it..

Forum List

Back