Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

The article in the 2nd link actually lists lots of reasons for the 60 restaurants closings and NOT the new minimum wages...?

Why are Bay Area restaurants closing?
While new restaurants have further solidified the Bay Area as a foodie destination in recent years, many others have succumbed to a perfect storm of economic challenges that shows no sign of abating.

Upward of 60 restaurants around the Bay Area have closed since the start of September alone, with many citing difficulties like the cost of finding and keeping good employees, rising rents, new requirements for providing health care and sick leave, and doing it all while competing with the slew of new dining options.

The restaurant industry has always been among the most competitive and challenging to navigate, and failures are nothing new, but the current struggles have left some wondering if the traditional dining model might be headed for an overhaul.

“We’re at this precipice where the model of the full-service restaurant is being pushed to the brink,” said Gwyneth Borden, executive director of the Golden Gate Restaurant Association.

There was one person behind the counter. Just like with a grocery store's self checkout, there was one person overseeing everything to answer questions and handle the customers who, for what ever reason, refused to use the kiosks.

Two people, just like before. Thank you.
Not two, one.

'there was one person overseeing everything to answer questions and handle the customers who, for what ever reason, refused to use the kiosks.'

That would be two.
One = two? Interesting. Tell me, how long have you been convinced of that?

The issue is reducing employees. You haven't proven your point.
When there's only one employee behind the counter where there used to be multiple employees, head count has been reduced. In math, one =/= two or more.

How is pointing out and proving that if you're middle class voting Republican is voting against your own best interest 'bigoted?'

Your proof is lacking.

Since 1970, name one Republican sponsored bill that helped the middle class without giving a huge boost to the rich.

Why would you ignore bills that help the middle class and the rich?

Non-answer for there aren't any.

Reagan's tax cuts helped the rich and the middle class.

Reagan's tax cuts helped the rich, the middle class paid for. Trickle down sound failure?

Two people, just like before. Thank you.
Not two, one.

'there was one person overseeing everything to answer questions and handle the customers who, for what ever reason, refused to use the kiosks.'

That would be two.

When there's only one employee behind the counter where there used to be multiple employees, head count has been reduced. In math, one =/= two or more.

They haven't cut any employees. Isn't that the basis of this entire thread?

Your proof is lacking.

Since 1970, name one Republican sponsored bill that helped the middle class without giving a huge boost to the rich.

Reagan's tax cuts helped the rich, the middle class paid for. Trickle down sound failure?

Reagan's tax cuts helped the rich, the middle class paid for.

How did the middle class pay for it? Their taxes were cut as well.

Which taxes?

Which taxes?

Reagan cut income taxes for everyone.

It was in all the papers.

On Hersey with nuts and a Snickers bar..compared to a Hersey kiss?

I told you I am a Chicago guy ..who moved out to South Carolina I know the ridiculous taxes the Democrats come up with.

I'll bet the 'ridiculous taxes' started in the early 70's when payroll fell behind cost of living.

Once again you claim your a millionare business owner I. Always claimed I. Was just a middle class guy who enjoyed freedom more then money , but out taxing me I will always move..

I never moved back North and now you understand why..

Democrats never had my back since the 1970s ..they did when JFK was in power..they got confused when the world caught up to the USA

Another non-answer.

I'll bet the 'ridiculous taxes' started in the early 70's when payroll fell behind cost of living.

I get started to get bored of this, we all saw it coming that imports we're going to over take exports in the 1980s and it did , you always want to deny the world didn't catch up after WWIi and they finnaly did.

It happened in the early 1980s

Nixon opened the door and Reagan put us in the world economy.

What choice did they have to.be an isolationist like China?

When you see it coming.you have to adabt

The article in the 2nd link actually lists lots of reasons for the 60 restaurants closings and NOT the new minimum wages...?

Why are Bay Area restaurants closing?
While new restaurants have further solidified the Bay Area as a foodie destination in recent years, many others have succumbed to a perfect storm of economic challenges that shows no sign of abating.

Upward of 60 restaurants around the Bay Area have closed since the start of September alone, with many citing difficulties like the cost of finding and keeping good employees, rising rents, new requirements for providing health care and sick leave, and doing it all while competing with the slew of new dining options.

The restaurant industry has always been among the most competitive and challenging to navigate, and failures are nothing new, but the current struggles have left some wondering if the traditional dining model might be headed for an overhaul.

“We’re at this precipice where the model of the full-service restaurant is being pushed to the brink,” said Gwyneth Borden, executive director of the Golden Gate Restaurant Association.

Seattle is a different animal not like Des Moines Iowa.

I told you I am a Chicago guy ..who moved out to South Carolina I know the ridiculous taxes the Democrats come up with..

My family lived in Chicago until I was nine when we moved to Miami. Last year my last living aunt passed away leaving me he $300,000 condo in North Chicago. I have visited many times both for family and business. The main office of our association is located in downtown Chicago. I have to admit, I was floored by her property taxes there in the city. Was I living there today as an adult, I'd move too!

Easy peasy. The 1996 Welfare Reform Act promised by Newt Gingrich and after two Vetoes by former President Bill Clinton, he signed the bill knowing Republicans then had the votes to override another veto.

Please do not confuse Progressives with facts. It causes them dizziness and utter confusion. Then some fall down and it really does create quite a mess.

Not two, one.

That would be two.

They haven't cut any employees. Isn't that the basis of this entire thread?
They have behind the counter and will reduce total headcount. That's the point. Where do you think the excess employees will go? Extra mopping shifts?

I have worked for several companies that raised wages because of market forces or wanting to keep a good employee. So you are just plain wrong. When I owned my businesses I paid competitive wages and good employees I gave raises to keep them from looking for other jobs.

We use e-verify to make sure we don't hire illegals.

I set the standard in pay, not a reactionary reflex. If you don't you'll loose your soul AND your business.

You don't even own a business so spare us your BS.

You are entitled to your own ignorant opinion.

And you are entitled to lie like you do and I will call you out.

Prove your opinion isn't ignorant.

Prove you are not lying.

On Hersey with nuts and a Snickers bar..compared to a Hersey kiss?

I told you I am a Chicago guy ..who moved out to South Carolina I know the ridiculous taxes the Democrats come up with.

Once again you claim your a millionare business owner I. Always claimed I. Was just a middle class guy who enjoyed freedom more then money , but out taxing me I will always move..

I never moved back North and now you understand why..

Democrats never had my back since the 1970s ..they did when JFK was in power..they got confused when the world caught up to the USA

Another non-answer.

I get started to get bored of this, we all saw it coming that imports we're going to over take exports in the 1980s and it did , you always want to deny the world didn't catch up after WWIi and they finnaly did.

It happened in the early 1980s

Nixon opened the door and Reagan put us in the world economy.
Nixon opened the door to China. We already were in the world economy since WWII. As Bear stated, what happened was the world caught up to us. Europe was a great economy but they were shattered by WWII. It took decades for Germany to catch back up. Remember when "made in Japan" meant it was cheap junk? Then they caught up with Sony and others. Remember when "made in Korea" was cheap junk? "GoldStar" VCRs? Now they are world-class electronic and auto manufacturers.

Fareed Zakaria's "the Post-American World" is a great book on this very subject. We haven't fallen behind as much as the world as caught up to us. Our problem is a government system which spends too much and taxes too little; hence our huge debt and deficit. That isn't the "world's" problem, it's ours.

Your proof is lacking.

The tax cuts did, initially, help the Middle Class too, but overall, the rich got richer and the Middle Class fell behind. GHW Bush was right; "trickle down economics" is Voodoo economics.

The tax cuts did, initially, help the Middle Class too, but overall, the rich got richer and the Middle Class fell behind. GHW Bush was right; "trickle down economics" is Voodoo economics.

The tax cuts did, initially, help the Middle Class too, but overall, the rich got richer and the Middle Class fell behind.

Falling behind while still doing better.

GHW Bush was right;

He was a yutz.
And was justly rewarded for raising taxes.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

They're trying. More and more fast food places are implementing self-service kiosks here in California. I don't blame them either.

I so doubt that this is due to the wage increase, shame on them for paying min wage in the state to begin with. The cost of living is high in San Diego, and that is all they make. There comes a time when the worker just needs to say hell with it when the business owners want to get rich off their backs. I bet they do not even cost share health insurance. Self serve, well we all know waitresses do not make min wage.
NEWSFLASH

Insanity as erupted in full force at USMB.

Falling behind while still doing better.

Better, how? You think going into debt is better than not? Weird that you would be OK with individuals increasing their debt-load, but not the government:

household-debt-vs-savings.png

And debt was the only thing keeping Bush's economy afloat because his tax policies sure didn't!

mauldin.png

He was a yutz.
And was justly rewarded for raising taxes.

The Conservative motivation behind opposing tax increases finds its genesis in Grover Norquist's stupid pledge that he wrote when he was 12. Talk about arrested development!

Forum List

Back